Raidho speakers SPL Limited; Company admits; Egg on face of many…

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I think they should setup a temporary service centre in the US. It would save them the cost of expensive return shipment from DK to the US....

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Indeed. For issues like this, white glove packing and pick up/shipping should have been provided.

I bought a set of leather seats for my theater from a company we had not done business with. I was the guinea pig to ses how good they are :). Everything arrived well but there was a clicking sound in the motorized mechanism. I reported it back and after some back and forth they could not diagnose it. They wanted the chairs back. They hired a company that came to my house, picked up these massive chairs, properly packed them and delivered a new set which they unwrapped and set up. It was a joy to just sit there and watch them do this compared to the first time where I had to pay people to haul them to my theater. No way was I going to pay folks to send them back and take chances of them arriving damaged. The level of service completely erased any negative feeling I had about the product.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Indeed. For issues like this, white glove packing and pick up/shipping should have been provided.

I bought a set of leather seats for my theater from a company we had not done business with. I was the guinea pig to ses how good they are :). Everything arrived well but there was a clicking sound in the motorized mechanism. I reported it back and after some back and forth they could not diagnose it. They wanted the chairs back. They hired a company that came to my house, picked up these massive chairs, properly packed them and delivered a new set which they unwrapped and set up. It was a joy to just sit there and watch them do this compared to the first time where I had to pay people to haul them to my theater. No way was I going to pay folks to send them back and take chances of them arriving damaged. The level of service completely erased any negative feeling I had about the product.

They Won, You Won .

Too bad the world is not like the above.

zz.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I'm sending in my pair of Raidho's for a few issues, I received a note from them confirming their warranty is 5-yrs and they have parts for every speaker they've produced including discontinued models. I'm not the original owner, lets see how that goes...

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
My take from the Audioshark post by Lars is the D-series architecture, as opposed to being a "design flaw", was not aimed at high SPL's. So in my view it really depends how "SPL limiting" the D-series speakers are. Lars post indicates "most owners of Raidho D-3 are very happy about their speakers both when it comes to sound and musicality" but "a few costumers could have wished a greater power handling".

I'm not in a position to judge since I own the C3's and at times listen at what I consider "live" sound levels without issue. But if true that only a small number of D3 owners crave more power handling capability than originally designed into the speakers, then I think it appropriate those owners make the shipping to manufacturer decision.

In my experience with audio service work, I've always been required to pay for shipping to the manufacturer. And based on the posts I've read, and considering the circumstances, I'm not at all sure one can label this "warranty".

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It is a defect if the product is not sold with a label: "not suitable for high SPL listening". Since, AFAIK, it's never been sold that way, it is a defect indeed.

And I'm pretty sure Amir's leather seats have lots of other satisfied customers, with no clicking. That doesn't change the fact that his had the clicking, and the company is thus required to fix the defect in some way.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen,

By all accounts, these are great speakers. Unlike many other hyped up products, many of which are just flashes in the pan, this one appeals not just to one individual’s tastes who writes a rave review, but positives are coming from a broad section of guys with various tastes.

And I understand all points of view:
- Small company struggling to make it, succeed, and do right by customers.
- Reviewers, who feel sincere passion for a product, and are glamorizing the speaker as a hot new product that will take us to bliss on an escapist fantasy.

But I am on the side of the customer, whose imagination and psychology has been excited and who is longing for great sound and as a result shelling out big bucks to get at that fantasy painted by the reviewers and fellow audiophiles.

Yes counting our blessings and being grateful for what our life is compared to what many in the world experience on a daily basis is dandy. Yet just a few centuries back, things weren't as dandy for us either. When you turn on the water today, we expect it to be not brown, stinky, and infected with bacteria, but clean. And when we turn on the lights, we expect the electricity to flow and the light to work. Similarly, a highly publicized, very expensive speaker is expected to work as promised!!!! Just because other audio companies have screwed up in the past, including one of the brands I currently own, doesn't mean we have to expect less! So why demand less??????? What’s wrong with expecting more and pushing the envelope?!!!!

We are a small clan of dinosaurs living in a perilous, sparsely populated, hidden jungle. This is a small community, and we need to watch each other’s’ backs, hence this thread. We, as customers, should be fiercely demanding!!! And the companies we buy from and the reviewers we take cues from should be equally fiercely demanding. High end audio should work as our basic utilities do. Every improvement, every change, and every innovation begins with some kind of dissatisfaction with the status quo. If we just sit and take the crappy workmanship, things will never change.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I don't want to throw more "blood to the sharks" - but I posted here my impressions about Raidho and my time at a long listening test and found that same sonic "hump" in the bass/mid-bass region.. good to know it is fixed now.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Gentlemen,

By all accounts, these are great speakers. Unlike many other hyped up products, many of which are just flashes in the pan, this one appeals not just to one individual’s tastes who writes a rave review, but positives are coming from a broad section of guys with various tastes.

And I understand all points of view:
- Small company struggling to make it, succeed, and do right by customers.
- Reviewers, who feel sincere passion for a product, and are glamorizing the speaker as a hot new product that will take us to bliss on an escapist fantasy.

But I am on the side of the customer, whose imagination and psychology has been excited and who is longing for great sound and as a result shelling out big bucks to get at that fantasy painted by the reviewers and fellow audiophiles.

Yes counting our blessings and being grateful for what our life is compared to what many in the world experience on a daily basis is dandy. Yet just a few centuries back, things weren't as dandy for us either. When you turn on the water today, we expect it to be not brown, stinky, and infected with bacteria, but clean. And when we turn on the lights, we expect the electricity to flow and the light to work. Similarly, a highly publicized, very expensive speaker is expected to work as promised!!!! Just because other audio companies have screwed up in the past, including one of the brands I currently own, doesn't mean we have to expect less! So why demand less??????? What’s wrong with expecting more and pushing the envelope?!!!!

We are a small clan of dinosaurs living in a perilous, sparsely populated, hidden jungle. This is a small community, and we need to watch each other’s’ backs, hence this thread. We, as customers, should be fiercely demanding!!! And the companies we buy from and the reviewers we take cues from should be equally fiercely demanding. High end audio should work as our basic utilities do. Every improvement, every change, and every innovation begins with some kind of dissatisfaction with the status quo. If we just sit and take the crappy workmanship, things will never change.

C'mon Caesar, you made your point. **** happens in all industries. How many other products, cars, washing machines, computers, tires, pet food, human food, etc, get recalled every due to defects, contamination, etc.? You should consider yourself very lucky if you haven't had something recalled at some time or another.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
We (me especially) have been very vocal for months about the problems, hence, the pending fix.

Well said Myles. That was the point I was trying to make with my Ferrari 458 recall analogy. I think kicking them for doing the right thing, is the wrong approach. They could have buried their heads in the sand and announced a Raidho D3.1 at Munich and not many would have been the wiser. They are admitting the problem, offering a fix. That's more than I can say for a lot of companies these days.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
C'mon Caesar, you made your point. **** happens in all industries. How many other products, cars, washing machines, computers, tires, pet food, human food, etc, get recalled every due to defects, contamination, etc.? You should consider yourself very lucky if you haven't had something recalled at some time or another.

Geez Miles, stop injecting reality and common sense into these threads. You know how much certain individuals enjoy stirring the pot to see what they can get going. ;)

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Luxury products require luxury service. When Lexus had its first recall, they drove the loaner to people's homes, picked up the car and repaired it. You will earn future business when you go above and beyond. Do they have to do that? No. But it is the right way to do business. If someone calls my company on Saturday night at 9:00pm that their TV doesn't work, we send a person to their home to fix it. It doesn't matter that it is the weekend. It doesn't matter that the batteries are dead and is not "our problem." The customer has paid a lot of money and expects service above and beyond what a mass market retailer would do.

I think they are making a mistake. If they lose the sale of one speaker, it would have paid for all the shipping cost of the current units.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Check the economics again...
if a typical one costs $60K and the markup is 5:1, then they only get $12K. That can only cover about 25 pairs being shipped one way...

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
I think we should let the current Raidho D3 owners determine what is fair. So far, I've heard from none that are disappointed. All the ones I know are more than delighted with this "deal".

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Check the economics again...
if a typical one costs $60K and the markup is 5:1, then they only get $12K. That can only cover about 25 pairs being shipped one way...
If we are talking typical, the dealer gets 40 to 50%. Let's use an average of 45%. That would get them $33K. I would think their cost is the 5:1 ratio you mention and that would mean $25K or so in profits. Have they sold more than 50 pairs? That would be $3M in revenue from that one model.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
If we are talking typical, the dealer gets 40 to 50%. Let's use an average of 45%. That would get them $33K. I would think their cost is the 5:1 ratio you mention and that would mean $25K or so in profits. Have they sold more than 50 pairs? That would be $3M in revenue from that one model.

Although the cost absorption being discussed would be by the manufacturer rather than the dealer?
So need to base the profit upon pre distribution price vs manufacturing/logistic costs (good manufacturers in general can achieve 35% to 45% margins on a product line based upon cost sold to distribution/sales channel, leaving technology manufacturers out of it due to massive product margins they can achieve and also car manufacturers who are at the much lower end of profit margin scale).
Apologies if missing the context of your post Amir.
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing