Question/advice regarding a Robert Johnson 78 rpm

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
Hello,

I have a friend who has come across a 78 of Robert Johnson - Dead Squid Blues/I Believe I'll Dust My Broom (Vocalion 03475). Me being a huge music fan.... would it be worth it to digitize it (Hi-rez) or find someone to make a copy on Reel to Reel then digitize it. I don't own a hi-fi turntable capable of playing 78's. I do have a copy of the 10 LP box set of Robert Johnson - Centennial Edition that was released a couple of years ago and it sounds really nice and all... however I just keep thinking about the idea of having a copy from an original 78 itself. My brain keeps telling me I need to make this happen.

While I do have some blues 78's in my collection I have no real quality way of playing them, however they are still worth owning I feel. I have a Muddy Waters - Manish Child 78 (Chess Records) and curiosity got the better of me and I played it back on a cheap TT capable of playing 78's... I was actually quite impressed by how raw and real it sounded. Believe it or not... that version of Manish Child on 78 sounded better than any CD or record I own or heard to date. Since the Robert Johnson 78 is from 1937 do you think it would be worth it in terms of sound quality or should I just stick to my box set ???

If anything I would have to track down someone capable in my area to help make this happen.

It's not everyday a Robert Johnson 78 presents itself. So.... do you think it's worth the trouble ???

Last edited:

Soundminded

Apr 26, 2012
To make the best possible copy, you need a cartridge equipped with a 78 RPM stylus. A good one is Shure V15. Shure makes styli specifically for playing and transcribing 78 RPM records. They are substantially different from styli for LPs. I think diamter is about 3 mils instead of about 0.7 and they are monophonic. You'll need a transcription quality turntable that plays 78 RPM. Several manufacturers made them, one was Empire. Rek-o-Kut may have also had some models. I have been amazed at how well digital signal processing can clean up and enhance 78 RPM recordings. The difference is much better than in the past where only filtering noise and equalization were possible. There are probably a lot of very fine computer programs that can do the job, you need to find someone who has the skill to use them. Then you can have the output in whatever format you want, CD, open reel tape, cassette, etc.

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
Thanks for your response !!! Since I am not the owner of the record I will have to do some research and find the right people who may be interested in helping with this little project. I haven't cleaned a 78 myself out of fear of messing up the shellac and ruining the record. I know not to use any solvent based cleaners. He/we haven't even listened to it yet since neither of us have a proper 78 setup. Certainly want to handle this with care... I'm sure he wants to sell it, but comes the task of grading the record. To me something like this needs to be play graded and my idea is.... why not record it and have a digitized copy of it. It will help when it comes to selling it, any potential buyer can hear for themselves what the record sounds like without having to play the actual 78 over and over.

Myself personally... I would rather keep the record than sell it, but that's just the music lover in me. How often does a person get a chance to be transported back in time.

Why can't I be so lucky... lol !!!

Again thanks !!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing