Power Amp Tube change, or not?

Mordante

Aug 25, 2023
I have Octave MRE130 mono amps. See:

OCTAVE Audio

This amp can use EL34, 6550, KT88, KT120 & KT150 tubes. Using KT120 or KT150 tubes will change the sound but it will not result in more power. Right now I'm using KT120 tubes.

I have been thinking about changing the KT120 for KT88 (PSVANE T series? or Linlai™ Global KT88-D) or KT150 tubes. Or will all of this be a waste of money and an exercise in futility and is my money better spend elsewhere.

I have these amps for about 5 to 6 years now. So I'm getting an itch to play with the power tubes. The other tubes have been changed.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I have Octave MRE130 mono amps. See:

OCTAVE Audio

This amp can use EL34, 6550, KT88, KT120 & KT150 tubes. Using KT120 or KT150 tubes will change the sound but it will not result in more power. Right now I'm using KT120 tubes.

I have been thinking about changing the KT120 for KT88 (PSVANE T series? or Linlai™ Global KT88-D) or KT150 tubes. Or will all of this be a waste of money and an exercise in futility and is my money better spend elsewhere.

I have these amps for about 5 to 6 years now. So I'm getting an itch to play with the power tubes. The other tubes have been changed.
If you want to try KT88's the two best sounding I've ever heard were the EAT and the blue Sophia Electric. Unfortunately both are hard to find, the former having been discontinued and the latter currently sold out.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
My experience with rolling power tubes (VAC 200iq, Rogue Apollo Dark) is it will absolutely change the sound, sometimes more than you think. In fact I often find more impact here than with small tubes.

Whether that sound is good comes down to how the amp is configured, how it's been "voiced", and your system / ears. Unfortunately you just have to try and see. In bigger amps (12x tubes in Apollos, 16x tubes in VAC 300iQ) this gets VERY tedious and expensive! With only 4 tubes, I say go nuts :)

Some of my findings:
* KT120 sounds like it has a little rough / aggressive spot (upper mids / lower treble) on the Rogue Apollo amps but doesn't display this problem in the VAC (beautiful here). More powerful bass than KT88.
* KT150 in VAC (didn't try in Apollos) has very impressive bass power but it was "too much" and threw things out of balance. It overwhelmed the rest of the music and I couldn't evaluate them further. Borderline awful, imo.
* 7581A were awful in Apollos. I was looking for a sweet classic tube sound (like these same tubes were in a Heathkit W5, or EL34 in an Eico HF-87) and definitely didn't get it. I got dry, anemic sound. Totally defeated the point of these high-power amps.
* KT88 Gold Lion (reissue) were fantastic in both amps. A well tempered, refined tube with a touch of sweetness. Best midrange!
* KT88 EH sound is pretty close to Gold Lion but a bit more brash and "rock and roll" - but also a bit less refined and not as golden in the midrange.
* KT88 Mullard (reissue) seem very similar to GL, though I haven't directly compared them yet. These KT88 (GL, EH, Mullard) are basically 3 slight variations of the same tube from the same factory, so of course the sonic variation here isn't as great as with the other types.

In the end, though I'm a tube rolling junkie, I think it's better for an amp maker to optimize their amp for a specific type rather than accommodate a broad palette. The output transformer design factors heavily in here. I listen loud and generally prefer amps with multiple push-pull pairs per side (the more the better), but that really puts a damper on tube rolling! KT88 and KT120 are *reasonably* close enough that I feel this swap is often a good one to try (if cleared with amp maker).

Mordante

Aug 25, 2023
If you want to try KT88's the two best sounding I've ever heard were the EAT and the blue Sophia Electric. Unfortunately both are hard to find, the former having been discontinued and the latter currently sold out.
These tubes are very expensive. The EAT KT88 are close to 5k for 8 tubes. The Sopias are are even more expensive.

Mordante

Aug 25, 2023
My experience with rolling power tubes (VAC 200iq, Rogue Apollo Dark) is it will absolutely change the sound, sometimes more than you think. In fact I often find more impact here than with small tubes.

Whether that sound is good comes down to how the amp is configured, how it's been "voiced", and your system / ears. Unfortunately you just have to try and see. In bigger amps (12x tubes in Apollos, 16x tubes in VAC 300iQ) this gets VERY tedious and expensive! With only 4 tubes, I say go nuts :)

Some of my findings:
* KT120 sounds like it has a little rough / aggressive spot (upper mids / lower treble) on the Rogue Apollo amps but doesn't display this problem in the VAC (beautiful here). More powerful bass than KT88.
* KT150 in VAC (didn't try in Apollos) has very impressive bass power but it was "too much" and threw things out of balance. It overwhelmed the rest of the music and I couldn't evaluate them further. Borderline awful, imo.
* 7581A were awful in Apollos. I was looking for a sweet classic tube sound (like these same tubes were in a Heathkit W5, or EL34 in an Eico HF-87) and definitely didn't get it. I got dry, anemic sound. Totally defeated the point of these high-power amps.
* KT88 Gold Lion (reissue) were fantastic in both amps. A well tempered, refined tube with a touch of sweetness. Best midrange!
* KT88 EH sound is pretty close to Gold Lion but a bit more brash and "rock and roll" - but also a bit less refined and not as golden in the midrange.
* KT88 Mullard (reissue) seem very similar to GL, though I haven't directly compared them yet. These KT88 (GL, EH, Mullard) are basically 3 slight variations of the same tube from the same factory, so of course the sonic variation here isn't as great as with the other types.

In the end, though I'm a tube rolling junkie, I think it's better for an amp maker to optimize their amp for a specific type rather than accommodate a broad palette. The output transformer design factors heavily in here. I listen loud and generally prefer amps with multiple push-pull pairs per side (the more the better), but that really puts a damper on tube rolling! KT88 and KT120 are *reasonably* close enough that I feel this swap is often a good one to try (if cleared with amp maker).
My mono power amps have 4 power tubes each. Meaning I would need to change 8 tubes. Rolling 8 tubes will be close to 1000 euro. So I want to make sure the money isn't wasted. Thank you for the info I will think about it some more.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing