Places to listen to tape around the country-

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Where can newbies to the tape scene get 'initiated' to the wonderful world of tape around the country? MikeL has graciously opened his hifi cathedral up to many folks over the last few years. I just visited a small mostly analog HiFI salon in the Albany area which has a great tape rig and some fine high efficiency speakers with single ended DHT amps driving them The store is Beauty of Sound, run by Bill DeMars. I spent about 4 hours there last week listening exclusively to reels and Bill sure has it together in his main system. I encourage all interested parties to contact him for a listening session if you are local to the Capitol region.
I think Audio Gallery has a Bottlehead/ATR rig set up in Lake Oswego, Oregon. Anyone else know of good places to hear open reel tape around the country?

www.beautyofsound.com is the stores website.

Rich Brown
Portland, Oregon

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Where can newbies to the tape scene get 'initiated' to the wonderful world of tape around the country? MikeL has graciously opened his hifi cathedral up to many folks over the last few years. I just visited a small mostly analog HiFI salon in the Albany area which has a great tape rig and some fine high efficiency speakers with single ended DHT amps driving them The store is Beauty of Sound, run by Bill DeMars. I spent about 4 hours there last week listening exclusively to reels and Bill sure has it together in his main system. I encourage all interested parties to contact him for a listening session if you are local to the Capitol region.
I think Audio Gallery has a Bottlehead/ATR rig set up in Lake Oswego, Oregon. Anyone else know of good places to hear open reel tape around the country?

www.beautyofsound.com is the stores website.

Rich Brown
Portland, Oregon

I'd imagine United Home Audio down in the Baltimore/DC area is another place to hear R2R tape and UHA Tascam deck, now in its Phase 8 iteration.

Another one in the Miami area is High End Palace. http://www.highendpalace.com/REELS.htm

Alas, Lyric used to have a ML-5 set up but not any more :( Don't know what happened to that deck either.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Anyone in the Seattle area that wants to listen to our machines with master tapes is more than welcome! We love to show off to visitors! We're on the way to Mike's place.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Anyone in the Seattle area that wants to listen to our machines with master tapes is more than welcome! We love to show off to visitors! We're on the way to Mike's place.

If only I were closer :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Wednesday night i had a vistor with his own very high end system (Wilson X-2's, Lamm ML-3's). we spent a couple of hours listening to vinyl and it sounded great. i asked him if he minded his head getting screwed up a bit and offered to play a tape. he nodded his head yes....

yesterday he e-mailed thanking me and mentioned he is now afflicted with the RTR 'Jones'......and it's all my fault.

:D:D:D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Wednesday night i had a vistor with his own very high end system (Wilson X-2's, Lamm ML-3's). we spent a couple of hours listening to vinyl and it sounded great. i asked him if he minded his head getting screwed up a bit and offered to play a tape. he nodded his head yes....

yesterday he e-mailed thanking me and mentioned he is now afflicted with the RTR 'Jones'......and it's all my fault.

Yeah I have friends who won't let me put on a tape because of that :) They don't want to hear the tape because they can't obtain the recording :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Yeah I have friends who won't let me put on a tape because of that :) They don't want to hear the tape because they can't obtain the recording :)

That's when you make your own! You can exercise control over tracking, mixing -if required-, and mastering :p
Bruce, do you have a multichannel RTR at your studio? I'm uncertain if you track and mix in addition to master up there.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's when you make your own! You can exercise control over tracking, mixing -if required-, and mastering :p
Bruce, do you have a multichannel RTR at your studio? I'm uncertain if you track and mix in addition to master up there.

Yeah in that what 5 microseconds I have free :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

The most I've done on tape are 3-channel transfers.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Haha...multi-task, baby...multitask - LOL
Myles, are you coming out to T.H.E. Show in socal?

Unfortunately not :( Was thinking about it but being self employed, I don't get paid if I go away--and it's still my busy time--before the dog days of July and August when many of my clients take off for the Hamptons and vacation. I pretty much budget for RMAF and CES right now--and if they have a show in NY. But it looks like The Show should be worth attending!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Unfortunately not :( Was thinking about it but being self employed, I don't get paid if I go away--and it's still my busy time--before the dog days of July and August when many of my clients take off for the Hamptons and vacation. I pretty much budget for RMAF and CES right now--and if they have a show in NY. But it looks like The Show should be worth attending!

Acknowledged, Myles. Maybe, we'll see each other in the Hamptons... :rolleyes:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No better definition of "haves and have-Nots!" Here I am without a tape deck and Ki has four of the rarest model! Wonder how poor I need to look for him to donate me one. :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Can we see your 1040? ;[
I see how poor I need to *look* not be. :D

BTW, I wish I could have made it to your house this weekend with Rich. I got pulled out for a breakfast meeting in LA and had to fly in and out. If the offer is still good, love to do that at the next occasion.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
If the offer is still good, love to do that at the next occasion.

Of course, the offer is still good. I can have various machines set up to play a same tape for you to get the feel for differences in size, use, and ultimately the sound. Hope you will find a model that will fit your needs.

I am schedule to leave out of town on June 21 so we can see about getting together one day during the weekend before or during the 4th weekend. Otherwise, since you are only a stone throw away from me, you can stop by one evening as well.

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.

Sheesh! I just had a couple of buddies over to hear some tape.... they're in the same boat now.. Abbey Road wrecked them!!
I'm regretting not being able to make it down with Rich for the Revolver demo, but in a way I dodged a bullet... after hearing your system, coming back to my little
setup will be depressing, I'm sure.... trying to mentally prepare myself!
Harv

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing