Welcome Xander and a trip to Mikes place.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
So as part of our responsibility as audiophiles, we must bring the young into our fold to keep the passion alive.
I would like you to meet Xander, a fifteen year old born with albinism.
He is an amazing kid, legally blind, he lets nothing stop him from doing things.
He is incredibly smart, conversates on levels far greater than most kids his age, runs cross country and is on the swim team.
As a result of his vision impairment his other senses are sharper than most.

He expressed an interest in classic rock :D at a family function and heard about my system and asked if he could have a listen.
No problem, happy to oblige!
We spent about 6 hours one afternoon and evening introducing him to all kinds of music.
When we were done I had him download Plex on his phone, logged him in, so he could continue his discovery.

I told him about Mikes system and showed him pictures and he asked when he could go for a sit in the sweet spot.
So I imposed an invitation on Mike and he replied graciously and off through the snow we went.
To say the kid was speechless and blown away is an understatement. When he first walked in you could hear the gears clutch up in his head as Mike introduced him to the room and the system.

So we set him down and started playing the black/white & blue licorice.

First up was Charlie Byrd, Old Hymn, Direct Disc Recording on Crystal Clear Records. (the white licorice)
Not a great song so to speak but the acoustic guitar at the intro and the Drum solo (very close mic'd) is amazing and very in the room with you. I had already played this for Xander so it gave him something familiar to start off with. Charlie stage right and drum kit and solo, dead center across the back, both in the room with us, awesome! The rest of that song is a turd to me.

Next up was side one complete of Kansas Leftoverture. Xander showed great interest in it from listening on Plex.
For those of you that only know this album by the title track, you need to listen to the whole album. The title track is my least favorite track on the album. The pressing I brought was the standard oil embargo pressing that millions bought 30 years ago and played the hell out of, this one not to be excluded from that lot.
It sounded amazing (I take care of my records) for what it is! Mikes kit sorted out a very busy and complex mix with aplomb, made my damn day! I was very nervous about that one. Xander's second favorite.

After that we spun Rush 2112 side one complete on Anthem/UM 180g vinyl. One of my top 5 all-time favorites and once again a very busy multi-track mid 70's recording full of explosions and water falls, the works. Literally sat there with chills for 25 minutes, over the top fantastic! Xanders most favorite.

Next on the platter was MFSL Billy Joel Angry Young Man from the amazing Turnstiles album. All the players were right where they are supposed to be in amazing clarity, really brought out the dynamics of the song. I am a huge Liberty DeVitto fan and always like the mix on this album and track in particular, WOW! Xander approved!

At this point we took a short break and let Xander ask questions and see what he thought so far. Questions got asked and questions got answered and you could tell the experience was a little bit of a sensory overload, but he was smiling and was ready for more.

The needle dropped onto Metallica's One of of And Justice for All, and all time metal classic and holy crap did those axes come alive and define them selves, no blurry lines, fantastic! Highly Xander approved!

On to The Doors Riders on the Storm, this one Mikes 45rpm pressing. Yes I have heard the tape version before at Mikes and Steves, but this version to me, kicked serious ass!
I now have to find a copy, to replace my 33 180g version. It blew me away.

Moving onto Lynyrd Skynyrd's The Ballad of Curtis Loew off Second Helping also 180g vinyl. This one was to me the sleeper of the set. It even got comments from the MC of the days events, the performance opened up across the sound stage in front of us with all three guitars some good solid kick drum. Amazing!

With the snow outside starting to concern me for the drive home I kicked Xander out of the sweet spot and sat down for a couple songs the first of which was MFSL 45rpm Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms title track. To me the whole song revolves around the Hammond B3 and the amazing use of the Leslie. It just very slowly comes in and just grabs your heart and make the tone and emotion of the song. I certainly was not let down this afternoon, I don't know why that song speaks to me the way it does, but it digs deep into my soul, a little deeper this afternoon.

Last but not least Jimi Hendrix Born Under a Bad Sign off Mikes original blue vinyl pressing, we have played this one before, and the detail that the system brings out made me feel like I was in the studio that day, truly amazing.

So as I was gathering up my vinyl we had some more Q & A and Mike asked him what he thought about what he heard today. Very new at this he had a little trouble describing what he has just heard (a hyperbole rookie) but he got his point across eventually. A lot more questions and descriptions on the car ride home made the day worth it.

One thing for sure, we took Mike out of his usual musical element! He very graciously played only the music we brought. The mention of any music we played of his is only because he has a better pressing than the one I brought, the dirty rat. Mike heard some things he had not heard before and I am sure before we made it down the hill he was cleansing his ears with classical music!

Mikes system has been talked about so much here that I am just going to say this, everything is there that needs to be, pick your favorite words and put them in here_______.
The shortest and best description I can give is its got the music sorted out, it decodes the music so damn well its mind bending. Often times I open my eyes to see if Mike stuck a speaker center stage while my eyes were closed.

I look forward to rattling some drywall loose with the addition of the AS2000 :eek: and if time and schedule permits, Would be honored to meet DDK and help hoist that platter up.
We need to test it with 2112!

Again Mike, Xander and I thank you for your over the top hospitality and patience with our selection of music, the kid, or kids :p are in heaven this evening and as usual I now have to unplug my system for a couple weeks. Thanks again!

P.S. No snow at the bottom of the hill, 5 miles down the 90 the sun was out.

20180218_150712.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhapsody and Bobvin

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Lucky kid! Very cool. I'm not surprised Mike was into it, he's such a gracious host.

When I was that age I was arguing with my electronics teacher, because I knew there was something better than Bose out there - I had read about all their tricks. But had I heard anything remotely like Mike's setup? Hell no!

If Xander is ever on the other side of the state, he's welcome to have a listen at my place.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

it was totally my pleasure to have the honor to meet Xander and share my system with both of you today. and also thank you for introducing me to some new music. it was stuff I knew about, but I never heard it like that with all your great pressings, and your knowledge of the stories behind the music. I loved the way you interacted with Xander; he is lucky to have you show that interest in helping him to such a knowledge and enjoyment of and passion for the music. it's a gift to him that will keep on giving.

Xander seemed to really get what was going on in my room, and also the things I talked about how I worked to get the room to behave acoustically.

i'm happy you both enjoyed it and hope we can do it again soon. my door is always open to you and Xander.

best regards,

Mike

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Wow~!

Hi-FiGuy~!

I envy you.

Mike has fantastic components that I am dreaming for.

Dartzeel NHB-458 = My Dream no. 1

MSB Technology Select DAC II Full Option = My Dream no. 2

Mike always tries to make better sound, so clearly Mike's system sound will be the best.

I'm sad I'm Korean. ? ?

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
Thank you for sharing the experience with us Hi-Figuy, it was great reading about it. Xander seems like a good kid and is lucky to have you, as is anyone who gets to listen to Mike´s system.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

JayR

Feb 28, 2015
Awesome story. It was very generous of you two to dedicate such time and effort to Xander in his pursuits. It is invariably events like this that “create” new enthusiasts. I still remember my first exposure to good sound audio at a Bottlehead event about 20 years back. Ella sang “Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered” and I was forever hooked. I wish I was Xander.

Is Xander planning to put together a system of his own?

Bravo!!

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Such a great story, brought me back to being blown away on hearing a Linn Isobariks and Naim six-pack system as a young 20 year old. It is refreshing to hear of you taking the time to let a young person hear what a high end system can do. Xander may have been lost for words after hearing Mikes system (I maybe would as well) but you guys may have started him on a life long journey of exploring music and possible through great hifi. From planting little seeds you never know what might grow. Again, a great story!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks guys it was a special afternoon!
I am sitting here ripping Atlas Shrugged to my server so he can listen to it on Plex and I shot him a text asking him what he thought now that he had 24hrs to digest.
His response is as follows "It was utterly amazing. I'm very glad I went and I'd like to go again!"

I told him we would.

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
So as part of our responsibility as audiophiles, we must bring the young into our fold to keep the passion alive.
I would like you to meet Xander, a fifteen year old born with albinism.
He is an amazing kid, legally blind, he lets nothing stop him from doing things.
He is incredibly smart, conversates on levels far greater than most kids his age, runs cross country and is on the swim team.
As a result of his vision impairment his other senses are sharper than most.

He expressed an interest in classic rock :D at a family function and heard about my system and asked if he could have a listen.
No problem, happy to oblige!
We spent about 6 hours one afternoon and evening introducing him to all kinds of music.
When we were done I had him download Plex on his phone, logged him in, so he could continue his discovery.

I told him about Mikes system and showed him pictures and he asked when he could go for a sit in the sweet spot.
So I imposed an invitation on Mike and he replied graciously and off through the snow we went.
To say the kid was speechless and blown away is an understatement. When he first walked in you could hear the gears clutch up in his head as Mike introduced him to the room and the system.

So we set him down and started playing the black/white & blue licorice.

First up was Charlie Byrd, Old Hymn, Direct Disc Recording on Crystal Clear Records. (the white licorice)
Not a great song so to speak but the acoustic guitar at the intro and the Drum solo (very close mic'd) is amazing and very in the room with you. I had already played this for Xander so it gave him something familiar to start off with. Charlie stage right and drum kit and solo, dead center across the back, both in the room with us, awesome! The rest of that song is a turd to me.

Next up was side one complete of Kansas Leftoverture. Xander showed great interest in it from listening on Plex.
For those of you that only know this album by the title track, you need to listen to the whole album. The title track is my least favorite track on the album. The pressing I brought was the standard oil embargo pressing that millions bought 30 years ago and played the hell out of, this one not to be excluded from that lot.
It sounded amazing (I take care of my records) for what it is! Mikes kit sorted out a very busy and complex mix with aplomb, made my damn day! I was very nervous about that one. Xander's second favorite.

After that we spun Rush 2112 side one complete on Anthem/UM 180g vinyl. One of my top 5 all-time favorites and once again a very busy multi-track mid 70's recording full of explosions and water falls, the works. Literally sat there with chills for 25 minutes, over the top fantastic! Xanders most favorite.

Next on the platter was MFSL Billy Joel Angry Young Man from the amazing Turnstiles album. All the players were right where they are supposed to be in amazing clarity, really brought out the dynamics of the song. I am a huge Liberty DeVitto fan and always like the mix on this album and track in particular, WOW! Xander approved!

At this point we took a short break and let Xander ask questions and see what he thought so far. Questions got asked and questions got answered and you could tell the experience was a little bit of a sensory overload, but he was smiling and was ready for more.

The needle dropped onto Metallica's One of of And Justice for All, and all time metal classic and holy crap did those axes come alive and define them selves, no blurry lines, fantastic! Highly Xander approved!

On to The Doors Riders on the Storm, this one Mikes 45rpm pressing. Yes I have heard the tape version before at Mikes and Steves, but this version to me, kicked serious ass!
I now have to find a copy, to replace my 33 180g version. It blew me away.

Moving onto Lynyrd Skynyrd's The Ballad of Curtis Loew off Second Helping also 180g vinyl. This one was to me the sleeper of the set. It even got comments from the MC of the days events, the performance opened up across the sound stage in front of us with all three guitars some good solid kick drum. Amazing!

With the snow outside starting to concern me for the drive home I kicked Xander out of the sweet spot and sat down for a couple songs the first of which was MFSL 45rpm Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms title track. To me the whole song revolves around the Hammond B3 and the amazing use of the Leslie. It just very slowly comes in and just grabs your heart and make the tone and emotion of the song. I certainly was not let down this afternoon, I don't know why that song speaks to me the way it does, but it digs deep into my soul, a little deeper this afternoon.

Last but not least Jimi Hendrix Born Under a Bad Sign off Mikes original blue vinyl pressing, we have played this one before, and the detail that the system brings out made me feel like I was in the studio that day, truly amazing.

So as I was gathering up my vinyl we had some more Q & A and Mike asked him what he thought about what he heard today. Very new at this he had a little trouble describing what he has just heard (a hyperbole rookie) but he got his point across eventually. A lot more questions and descriptions on the car ride home made the day worth it.

One thing for sure, we took Mike out of his usual musical element! He very graciously played only the music we brought. The mention of any music we played of his is only because he has a better pressing than the one I brought, the dirty rat. Mike heard some things he had not heard before and I am sure before we made it down the hill he was cleansing his ears with classical music!

Mikes system has been talked about so much here that I am just going to say this, everything is there that needs to be, pick your favorite words and put them in here_______.
The shortest and best description I can give is its got the music sorted out, it decodes the music so damn well its mind bending. Often times I open my eyes to see if Mike stuck a speaker center stage while my eyes were closed.

I look forward to rattling some drywall loose with the addition of the AS2000 :eek: and if time and schedule permits, Would be honored to meet DDK and help hoist that platter up.
We need to test it with 2112!

Again Mike, Xander and I thank you for your over the top hospitality and patience with our selection of music, the kid, or kids :p are in heaven this evening and as usual I now have to unplug my system for a couple weeks. Thanks again!

P.S. No snow at the bottom of the hill, 5 miles down the 90 the sun was out.

View attachment 38794
What a refreshingly engaging story.. Thanks for your kindness .

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
it was a fun session. Xander was a delight to hang with.
It was an amazing day to be sure!
Xander continues his adventure in music. He is a very busy lad and listens only on headphones / ear buds. He does not have a system, but is always listening.
He is incredibly intelligent young man and will achieve great things in life, you can count on that.
We have moved from the state of Washington a few months after this amazing event and catch up with Xander via text from time to time.
He is a prime example to think about when you think you are having a bad day...sack up and get on with your life...he is and inspiring individual that takes on life with whatever is thrown his way with a fantastic attitude!

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
This is a great and heartwarming story, well done both of you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing