Photos of Magico speakers

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Beautiful, just beautiful! But the candles have to go...they ruin the pleasure of looking at what appears to be a nice painting or print.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I thought I would start a Magico thread that would simply show images of speakers in systems and not attract much controversy.

Peter, the room and the system look great. When I heard the Mini II's a number of years back, I was ready to trade in my speakers at the time, Wilson Grand Slamms, because I absolutely loved the sound of the Minis.

Good luck with the no controversy thing. You can't start a Magico thread these days and not have some kind of brawl between the Magico haves and have nots.:)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
What did the room look like before Jim Smith RoomPlay?

Dan, the room looked pretty much the same. Jim Smith did recommend that I cover the upright piano (off to one side near listening position) with some furniture blankets to dampen a slight resonance and he moved the sofa back about 7". The speakers moved into the room about 3" and toward each other about 1 1/2". Toe is changed slightly. I was close, but Jim helped to really increase the sense of presence and dynamics. We rotated the tube traps in the rear corners and removed two JL Audio subs from the room that detracted from the overall clarity of the sound. Also, the inside tube traps were level with the outside ones, but now my amps are up on Vibraplanes and the traps are on wooden stilts to keep them off the heat of the amps, so the inside traps are about 10" higher then they were.

Johnny, the candle have been moved. Thanks.

Now, how about some more photos of Magico speakers. I'm hoping this thread turns into a photo gallery of sorts.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations. But such a good looking system will always create controversy - audio systems should look miserable and cheap, otherwise you risk living on bias expectation! ;)

A good audio friend from very far away has a system using the Mini 2's with Atma-sphere electronics and his descriptions are enough to make me envious ...

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Peter,

Thanks for the info.

After seeing the Mini 2s in your room, I can understand why you're in no rush to go for Q1s.

Q1 in Silver M-Cast:
Q1s.jpg

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I actually quite like the design of Q1, very minimalist- but rather in black or Pewter.
In my room (as already posted):
DSC_4253-small.JPG DSC_4256-small.JPG

Unfortunately I didn't take a better pic of S1 next to Q1...
2013-04-14 12.09.41.jpg

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Perhaps I missed this but what are the amps sitting on?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Perhaps I missed this but what are the amps sitting on?

Peter, I don't know if this question is directed to me or to Stereo, but if it is, each amp is on a platform comprised of the following:

1. 3" 17-ply per inch birch plywood, spec'd and finished to match wood of the Mini IIs.
2. 20" X 24" Vibraplane air-isolation platform fed my an air compressor in basement.
3. 136 lb. 20" X 24" X 1" steel ballast plate to pre-load the Vibraplane near its optimal design load for max. isolation performance.

I was actually quite surprise at how this platform improved the performance of these SS amplifiers.

Last edited:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Peter, I don't know if this is question is directed to me or to Stereo, but if it is, each amp is on a platform composed of the following:

1. 3" 17-ply per inch birch plywood, spec'd and finished to match wood of the Mini IIs.
2. 20" X 24" Vibraplane air-isolation platform fed my an air compressor in basement.
3. 136 lb. 20" X 24" X 1" steel ballast plate to pre-load the Vibraplane near its optimal design load for max. isolation performance.

I was actually quite surprise at how this platform improved the performance of these SS amplifiers.

Interesting.

I would have thought to try Vibraplane -> ballast -> birch ply -> Amp. Seems like that may have yielded a bit more isolation.

Did you try that configuration? If so, what were the results compared to the configuration you currently have?

Dre

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Interesting.

I would have thought to try Vibraplane -> ballast -> birch ply -> Amp. Seems like that may have yielded a bit more isolation.

Did you try that configuration? If so, what were the results compared to the configuration you currently have?

Dre

I did not try that configuration. The birch ply is on the bottom (with shims for leveling) to create a flat and stable surface for the three feet of the Vibraplane. My wide-pine floor boards are soft, very uneven and over 200 years old. The Vibraplanes want to rest on a hard, level and flat surface. I would like to try Stillpoints or some kind of hard footer under the amps to attempt to drain vibrations into the 275 lbs of steel underneath them. This approach works well with the steel ball footers between my SME and its ballasted Vibraplane and also the steel ball footers between the Mini II and their stands. Right now the amps are on the supplied rubber footers which isolate rather than drain vibrations.

At least with my current configuration, very few ground borne vibrations are reaching up to the amps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing