Phono Preamp to match with Spectral Gear

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I used Wave Kinetics A10 U8 decoupling footers underneath the network boxes of my Transparent Opus MM2 speaker cables (I removed the standard carbon fibre cones). very significant improvement in focus and especially transient snap and bass articulation. the network boxes had been essentially 'singing' along with the music and 'blurring' the sound until I fixed it.

speaker cables are very environmentally sensitive.

Interesting Mike! Especially since Andy Payor specifically designed the Opus cables with the carbon fiber enclosure to prevent exactly what you heard. But OTOH, we know all this stuff, even carbon fiber, has its own sound :)

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My Aries 3 rests on a Vibraplane. The Vibraplane does a great job of isolating the table from floorborne vibration, but it does nothing to drain off any energy generated by the table and its drivetrain. Placing Stillpoints cones under the Aries motor and plinth reduced the noise floor considerably. It also stripped away a resonance I hadn't even noticed until it was eliminated.

My Vibraplane obviously isolates from below, but I have found that by placing a heavy 136 lb steel ballast plate on top of the Vibraplane, not only did I optimize the performance of its isolation, but I also provided a mass into which resonances draining down from my turntable suspension towers can travel and be absorbed/damped. SME offers two footer options: one is a rubber ring under the footers to protect furniture from its massive weight. The other is a steel ball bearing that is exposed when these rubber rings are removed. The ball bearing points allow resonances to drain down and away from the turntable. Well, that is a bit off-topic for this thread.

Ack, congratulations on at least auditioning the XP-25 in your system. I'm sure it will continue to improve and present performance that you only got a hint of when you heard my Pass Xono. Keep the reports coming. I'm very interested in your findings and am pleased that the initial impressions are so promising. If and when you buy the yet to be released Spectral Phono, you can sell me you used XP-25.

Also, now that you have heard my Vibraplanes and Kenny gives a positive report of his under his VPI, this isolation may be another path you could decide to pursue.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Interesting Mike! Especially since Andy Payor specifically designed them with the carbon fiber enclosure to prevent exactly what you heard. But OTOH, we know all this stuff, even carbon fiber, has its own sound :)

I agree that it was counter intuitive to even try it. but a friend had actually tried some decoupling platforms under some other Transparent network boxes to good effect so I figured it would be easy to just try it.

btw; after thinking about it more I think those standard cones were aluminum, not carbon fiber. anodized and beautifully made......but not working very well.

also; I have a wood over concrete floor and lots of bass energy and dynamics, likely not every system might be as sensitive to changing the cones. but you should try it and see. it is an easy thing to try tweaks on.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My Vibraplane obviously isolates from below, but I have found that by placing a heavy 136 lb steel ballast plate on top of the Vibraplane, not only did I optimize the performance of its isolation, but I also provided a mass into which resonances draining down from my turntable suspension towers can travel and be absorbed/damped. SME offers two footer options: one is a rubber ring under the footers to protect furniture from its massive weight. The other is a steel ball bearing that is exposed when these rubber rings are removed. The ball bearing points allow resonances to drain down and away from the turntable. Well, that is a bit off-topic for this thread.

Ack, congratulations on at least auditioning the XP-25 in your system. I'm sure it will continue to improve and present performance that you only got a hint of when you heard my Pass Xono. Keep the reports coming. I'm very interested in your findings and am pleased that the initial impressions are so promising. If and when you buy the yet to be released Spectral Phono, you can sell me you used XP-25.

Also, now that you have heard my Vibraplanes and Kenny gives a positive report of his under his VPI, this isolation may be another path you could decide to pursue.

Hi Peter,

with the much lower noise floor of the XP-25 I was astonished how quiet my Aries 3 is with all the mods/vibration control tweaks I have made. It may not be obvious from my system's pictures, so here they are again: white lithium grease for the platter/bearing shaft interface (I found the VPI product far too inferior, i.e. noisy); Stillpoints plus EAR Isodamp supporting a granite base; Isodamp plus sorbothane hemispheres supporting the VPI; sorbothane sheet plus Isodamp plus cork supporting the motor. The results are easily verifiable, and in fact, superior to the HRS M3 platform I had back then in house for trial (probably because the M3 is not made to isolate the motor): tap the VPI and there is feedback (which is then quickly absorbed), tap the granite base and the feedback is reduced by about 10dB, tap the motor and I can't hear much of anything, tap the rack and I can't hear much of anything either; all of these are easily verifiable with the Revox as well, with it and the phono at maximum gain.

isolation2.jpg

isolation1.jpg

The Spectral phono remains an option, but I considered the following factors: they are concentrating on amps this year; even if they announce it at next CES I won't be able to have a unit in 2014; I am not enjoying the A90 as much as I could.

The discussion about supporting the MIT network boxes is interesting, and I will try the sorbothane sheet under their metallic spikes.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
It may not be obvious from my system's pictures, so here they are again

Very nicely done! Thanks for posting these photos.

tap the VPI and there is feedback (which is then quickly absorbed), tap the granite base and the feedback is reduced by about 10dB, tap the motor and I can't hear much of anything, tap the rack and I can't hear much of anything either; all of these are easily verifiable with the Revox as well, with it and the phono at maximum gain.

Tapping my rack results in dead quiet as well thanks to the Vibraplane. When I tap the VPI, there is feedback, but I wouldn't say that it's quickly absorbed. It's more like it has been quickly dissipated. It would be interesting to A/B these two different Aries 3 tables, as I'm sure they sound different. I've long thought it's best to consider whatever is supporting the Aries as part of the table itself, as the support greatly contributes to how it sounds.

I had tried different applications of Sorbothane and cork, but never applied as eloquently as Ack. I didn't like how these materials effected PRAT and dynamics. Dynamics became more explosive and PRAT improved considerably with the Stillpoints. Bass also improved considerably, becoming more articulate, and less boomy. I will post pictures later showing how I have placed the Stillpoints.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
the network boxes had been essentially 'singing' along with the music and 'blurring' the sound until I fixed it.

This was exactly my impression after placing Stillpoints cones under my Oracle V3 network boxes.

I had also mentioned that Stillpoints delivered a surprising improvement when used under my Quantum QBASE QB8 power strip. This was first suggested by Roy Gregory on The Audio Beat. In his latest review of Stillpoints (http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/stillpoints.htm) he goes as far as saying that placing Stillpoints under one's power distribution block "should be your first priority." I would have considered this insane had I not tried it for myself. YMMV

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Very nicely done! Thanks for posting these photos.

Tapping my rack results in dead quiet as well thanks to the Vibraplane. When I tap the VPI, there is feedback, but I wouldn't say that it's quickly absorbed. It's more like it has been quickly dissipated. It would be interesting to A/B these two different Aries 3 tables, as I'm sure they sound different. I've long thought it's best to consider whatever is supporting the Aries as part of the table itself, as the support greatly contributes to how it sounds.

I had tried different applications of Sorbothane and cork, but never applied as eloquently as Ack. I didn't like how these materials effected PRAT and dynamics. Dynamics became more explosive and PRAT improved considerably with the Stillpoints. Bass also improved considerably, becoming more articulate, and less boomy. I will post pictures later showing how I have placed the Stillpoints.

Here are clearer pictures with my Canon

isolation1.jpg

isolation2.jpg

isolation3.jpg

And an older picture with the Stillpoint Ultras used as feet for the VPI - didn't do much by themselves, though it would be nice to use them now again with the rest of the stuff as is

isolation4.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree that it was counter intuitive to even try it. but a friend had actually tried some decoupling platforms under some other Transparent network boxes to good effect so I figured it would be easy to just try it.

btw; after thinking about it more I think those standard cones were aluminum, not carbon fiber. anodized and beautifully made......but not working very well.

also; I have a wood over concrete floor and lots of bass energy and dynamics, likely not every system might be as sensitive to changing the cones. but you should try it and see. it is an easy thing to try tweaks on.

OK I put four Goldmund cones under each network box today and the differences are far from subtle. Anyone using Opus or Ref XL or any other TA speaker cable with network boxes should try putting the box on cones (or Stillpoints, etc.).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
OK I put four Goldmund cones under each network box today and the differences are far from subtle. Anyone using Opus or Ref XL or any other TA speaker cable with network boxes should try putting the box on cones (or Stillpoints, etc.).

That's quite interesting. I have REF XL speaker cables. Is the consensus to first try isolation/decoupling devices like Mike did with the Wave Kinetics footers or coupling devices like metal cones/spikes? I am thinking of just quickly trying some bubble wrap that I have lying around from LPs or perhaps placing the network boxes up on my Vibraplanes by sliding over each amp. I suppose one could even try suspending it from rubber bands and stilts. Here we go again.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's quite interesting. I have REF XL speaker cables. Is the consensus to first try isolation/decoupling devices like Mike did with the Wave Kinetics footers or coupling devices like metal cones/spikes? I am thinking of just quickly trying some bubble wrap that I have lying around from LPs or perhaps placing the network boxes up on my Vibraplanes by sliding over each amp. I suppose one could even try suspending it from rubber bands and stilts. Here we go again.

Certainly suggest trying. The improvement in low end response, noise floor and dynamics was shocking.

My memory is fading but I seem to remember trying the Wavekinetic footers that Mike has under the MIT boxes with success. I've always been more of a fan of tiptoes than sorborthane/elastomer type product so that's why I started with the Goldmund (plus still have a tonload of them around the house).

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Is the consensus to first try isolation/decoupling devices like Mike did with the Wave Kinetics footers or coupling devices like metal cones/spikes?

My Oracle V3 cables had always been spiked to the floor using the metal cones MIT provides. Replacing these metal cones with Stillpoints delivered the big improvement I heard, which is similar to what Miles has reported. Stillpoints provide some isolation from floor-borne vibration, so it's probably best to pursue isolation instead of coupling. But what works best might ultimately depend on the brand of cable and the type of flooring.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My Oracle V3 cables had always been spiked to the floor using the metal cones MIT provides. Replacing these metal cones with Stillpoints delivered the big improvement I heard, which is similar to what Miles has reported. Stillpoints provide some isolation from floor-borne vibration, so it's probably best to pursue isolation instead of coupling. But what works best might ultimately depend on the brand of cable and the type of flooring.

Goldmund cones kind of combine both isolation (internal elastomeric damping) and coupling (points). Even to this day, still hold their own.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
OK I got some sorbothane underneath the discs of the cables' cones. The difference is not subtle, and quite commensurate with the amount of wine I've had ;) Is this it?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Photos showing how I've placed Stillpoints under my VPI Aries 3 table...

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Beautiful... how are those VPI feet? I didn't find them superior to what I have...

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Beautiful... how are those VPI feet? I didn't find them superior to what I have...

Those VPI feet aren't very effective. I'm using them only as tall threaded risers for the Stillpoints cone. As you can see in my photo above, the cones are screwed into the VPI feet and the cones then point up into mini-inverse risers that are attached underneath the table. These VPI feet turned out to be exactly the right height for this - and they look great too. I do think there's still some room to improve this. I may look into making use of sorbothane given that you've reported having success with it.

At one point I also tried a Stillpoints Component Stand under my table as pictured below. The improvement was slightly greater than with the cones I have in place now. The stand, with cones affixed to the top of it, made an even bigger deal under my DAC, so that's where it's used now.

The newer Ultra products are even better, but I'm a total bottom feeder when it comes to this stuff. I've been able to pick up discontinued Stillpoints products at really good prices.

photox.JPG

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Those VPI feet aren't very effective. I'm using them only as tall threaded risers for the Stillpoints cone. As you can see in my photo above, the cones are screwed into the VPI feet and the cones then point up into mini-inverse risers that are attached underneath the table. These VPI feet turned out to be exactly the right height for this - and they look great too. I do think there's still some room to improve this. I may look into making use of sorbothane given that you've reported having success with it.

At one point I also tried a Stillpoints Component Stand under my table as pictured below. The improvement was slightly greater than with the cones I have in place now. The stand, with cones affixed to the top of it, made an even bigger deal under my DAC, so that's where it's used now.

The newer Ultra products are even better, but I'm a total bottom feeder when it comes to this stuff. I've been able to pick up discontinued Stillpoints products at really good prices.

View attachment 10907

Kenny, Thanks for the photos and explanation. Have you tried preloading the Vibraplane with a sheet of steel? This made a tremendous difference in my system.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Have you tried preloading the Vibraplane with a sheet of steel? This made a tremendous difference in my system.

My Vibraplane is at least 15 years old and no longer holds air as well as it used to. I have to refill it and level it at least once a day.

I did once try placing about 20 extra pounds on my Vibraplane - and it did help. But it also caused air to rush out more quickly.

At some point I will need to overhaul the Vibraplane by replacing all the tubing and maybe a few of the valves too. My quick fixes are no longer keeping it afloat for as long as they used to.

You should keep in mind that the extra weight you are placing on your Vibraplane will likely more quickly get you to where I am at today with mine. In hindsight I wish I would have been a lot more careful with it as servicing it is a pain. The darn thing is so heavy that I need to enlist the help of a friend to get it off my rack.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My Vibraplane is at least 15 years old and no longer holds air as well as it used to. I have to refill it and level it at least once a day.

I did once try placing about 20 extra pounds on my Vibraplane - and it did help. But it also caused air to rush out more quickly.

At some point I will need to overhaul the Vibraplane by replacing all the tubing and maybe a few of the valves too. My quick fixes are no longer keeping it afloat for as long as they used to.

You should keep in mind that the extra weight you are placing on your Vibraplane will likely more quickly get you to where I am at today with mine. In hindsight I wish I would have been a lot more careful with it as servicing it is a pain. The darn thing is so heavy that I need to enlist the help of a friend to get it off my rack.

I hear you and am sure this is the case. But I figure at $2,000 per unit, if it lasts 15 years, it will be well worth the cost. I did buy a couple of used units on Ebay and drove them to Kinetic Systems outside of Boston for repair estimates. The estimates were so outrageous, that I just decided to scrap them for parts and buy new units. My buddy has three used units, none of which work well, so he has my parts. Each new valve and/or footer costs about $500. So it might be economical to buy one if it has failed and install it yourself. It is never worth the shipping plus cost of repairs to send these units back to Kinetic Systems, IMO. The company does not want to repair them once they are out of warranty.

Yes, they are heavy at 150 lbs apiece. I then have a 136 lb steel ballast plate on each of my three units plus the 120 lb turntable and 150 lb mono blocks. Lots of weight and air under high pressure, but the results are worth the effort, in my case. I certainly can't move any of this stuff without the help of a friend. He does not mind because he heard all of the various changes to the sound of vinyl as I added these devices and ballast plates to my system.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I hear you and am sure this is the case. But I figure at $2,000 per unit, if it lasts 15 years, it will be well worth the cost.

Mine has so far made it 15 years with only a 40-50 lb table resting on it. Hopefully the additional weight you've placed on yours doesn't reduce the life too much.

You are correct that I should consider it have been well worth the cost given how many years out of it - especially since it originally only set me back around $1000 (it was used). It was listed on Audiogon and I felt fortunate that the seller was only a short drive away from me. I still recall being blown away by how much it improved the sound of my table.

I just decided to scrap them for parts and buy new units.

I have considered doing the same many times. I will try one more effort to resuscitate my Vibraplane by replacing the tubing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing