Perfect Pitch?

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Yes. That. :)

Besides how is perfect pitch defined? Concert A now is 440Hz. With some European orchestras going as high as 443Hz

In 1711, the "tuning fork" was invented by John Shore, English musician to the royal court, and had a pitch of A423.5

So... who's pitch perfect? ;) Would the European musician used to 443 find our American orchestras gratingly flat? Nope. It is NOT a fixed ability.

I am considered to have "Perfect Pitch" but I've always known that I can get easily led away or fooled in the manner the article describes.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Where to start..? It is a nuisance and fantastic (No I don't have it, but I know lots of people who live and work with it)

Best go here, loads of "beginners" questions ;-)

https://www.quora.com/search?q=perfect+pitch

As it is, with age, your perfect pitch tends to change, extremely unrattling, and the above post does not really take into account the difference between pitch and intonation - the guy might have very well noticed, how it turned sour, well trained ears have this ability, but then you all know the terrible choirs going downhill thinking they are completely in tune. or great soloist singers who cannot hear there intonation because of the head pressure, thats basically training, otherwise THEY tend to rise..

and so on. Intonation is a miracle.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
My oldest son has absolute perfect pitch. Great for a musician...he can almost instantly transpose music into different keys, i.e. baritone and tenor saxophones (which freaks out his music teacher). Useful for me as an audiophile...he is my perfect pitch adjuster for the turntable. Off center spindle holes drive him crazy...

colonel66

May 30, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
My take away from the article is how malleable our brain and hearing perception is.

Firstly i don't have perfect pitch (probably not even close) but it just goes to show how easily our perceptions can change and the implications of this in auditioning gear.

This may also explain my one's system can sound different on some days

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing