Pass Labs .8 Series!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I'll have it in the first group of videos, 10 days out. It's very good.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I do the exact same thing with my XA160.5. I put a piece of shirt cardboard right in front of the meter. Works great. I would love to defeat the light.

The .8 models have a blue light. I was kind of hoping it would be a dim white light like with the XS models.

The light on the Xs can be turned off

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I have a feeling that the .5 series will be dropped as soon as the .8 series has been established.

Pass is expecting to keep the .5 around for a while. Their typical cycle has a fairly good overlap period between product lines. The .8 will be a step up price-wise and will have a slightly different sound character (though from the same house sound). The company will continue producing the .5 as long as customers are interested in buying them. There was no shortage of reviewers evaluating the .5 over the past few years and it made some very good impressions in every one I've seen, so it'll be very interesting to see how the .8 compares (I'm sure some will say better, some will say different and others will fall between). My guess is the new models will cost an additional 20-25%, but I haven't heard anything definitive from the company.

A little bit about the differences from the new brochure.

Point 8 / Point 5 amp Differences : The Point 8 amps present a more accurate representation of the recording venue. The dimensionality of the sound stage does not change no matter how complex the material. Layering of the instruments in the orchestra allows the orchestra to seem present in the listening room. There is more space and air around instruments, which leads to a greater sense of ease and music flow. The bass goes very deep and the highs are extended with out being edgy."

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The price list from CES suggests a price increase of a little under 20% (roughly 18%), and it appears there is no X1000.8.

scb

Feb 4, 2014
I took delivery of my xa60.8s last Thursday. They replaced my x250.5 and are powering my Von Schweikert Unifield 3 speakers

bass seems as tight or tighter than the x250.5. Vocals are ridiculous and they seem to have more detail at lower volumes. On good recordings, it really does sound like the musicians and singers are in the room :D

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Just ordered my 30.8 and I'm hoping it will arrive in Seattle in about 6 weeks. I've had my 30.5 for only about 3 months and during that time I've been waiting for other new components to arrive, so the Jaguar reference system has pretty much been in shifting disarray the whole time. I had expected the .8s to ship closer to summer. Fortunately the .8 will be so close to the .5 it should slide right in without much need to rework anything.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I'm really liking the new model's described sound character. It sounds as if the .8 is going to be much more lit-up in the outer reaches than the .5 model. I've been using the 30.5 for about 4 months and while I didn't have all the elements I wanted together in my system to do a proper evaluation, I never reached a point where I felt like I was going to get the .5 to work to my liking with my Druid Mk5 speakers. The Zu sound has a low center of gravity. I've tried several First Watt models and found them to be an ideal match. The .5, while carrying a lot more authority or force is substantially more grounded and I'm not sure I was going to get it to open up this speaker the way I like.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
It is listed as a 9/10. It's not clear if this is a demo, a trade in for a bigger .8 model, or simply a barely used unit. I think this is one of the only Pass dealers on the East Coast and the only one in New England.

Anthony is not a Pass dealer as far as I know.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
It will take at least a year for the perspective Pass Labs point 8 buyers to find a consensus of reviews and buyer feedback, assuring us that the point 8 is actually better than the point 5 series.

I would say do not jump the gun until then, if do not want buyers remorse.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
WOW! The amp has been out about 3 or 4 weeks and someone trades one in????

What is up with that?

Bar-none, my absolute largest reason for returns with products I offer a trial on is customers who don't understand or don't believe in break-in. This unit is likely not old enough to have had the necessary 250hrs. I encourage customers to keep a product and just continue putting hours on the unit when this happens and most agree, but a few refuse. Never fails, I get a unit back, it sounds terrible...run it for another 100-200hrs and everything comes into focus. Don't get me started on guys who feel the need to do a forum review right after unpacking the gear.

It will take at least a year for the perspective Pass Labs point 8 buyers to find a consensus of reviews and buyer feedback, assuring us that the point 8 is actually better than the point 5 series.

I would say do not jump the gun until then, if do not want buyers remorse.

Granted, there are personal preferences and tastes, but wouldn't buyer's remorse on a Pass amp be like buyer's remorse on a Porsche 911? This kind of remorse usually just requires time to figure out why the component isn't gelling with the rest of your system, then address those issues.

I haven't received my unit yet, but the linked Pass article above should tell you everything you need to know about what to expect from the .8 relative to the .5. The .8 is mostly going to be lit up in the outer reaches compared to the .5, which is relatively not. I'm not sure which speakers they voiced the amp for, but I'm guessing it's geared toward a variety of speakers typically used with Pass. The added top-end illumination will be welcome for me. My Zu Druids are designed primarily for boutique set amps and at first had a tough time handling the 30.5 low end impedance curve, which is meant for less efficient and less bass-heavy speakers. I mostly corrected it with bass traps and isolation platforms, but the added illumination of the .8 will make it that much easier to bring speakers to life at low volume. It's not inconceivable that someone might prefer the .5 out of the box with speakers having a bright character, but even in that case you might change the tonal balance at other parts of the system.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing