Pass Labs .8 Series!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks. I think my amp (also Class A) is DC coupled, so was just wondering.

Frankly, DC blocking can happen anywhere in an amplifier; for example, my old McCormack DNA-1 from the '90s placed it at the very output, to block DC even from the amp itself; when I removed it, there was slight DC leaking out to the speakers, more so on one channel than the other - not very good execution. So you really need to know your amp's design.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
If Bluefox (Bud) wanted to I'm sure he would be welcome to do so as well.

LOL. While that would be nice, I have no plans on being near Reno anytime soon. Between Pass and Poker, Reno will take all my money. :)

Robert < NxLT > Slowinski

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
Hi All.

I recently got a new AMP Pass Labs XA 60.8
After a period of 300hrs I I'm waiting to get those baby's to bloom. Have anybody experience in this Break-in period. Because I'm scared that my DIY Pass Aleph X will be better and beat this XA 60.8 after the break-in period.
I'm left for the first 5 days 24h on , then during 5 days 12h on and then completely off the wall. And now flow 48h on and then for 12h off the wall. And still can't find the magic.

My setup:

Pass Aleph P
DIY speakers
marantz SA11S1

If someone had the same feeling at breaking in please let me calm and share your experience.

PS: there are some times where I like the new AMP but this is not all the time and now even near my DIY amps.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi All.

After a period of 300hrs I I'm waiting to get those baby's to bloom. Have anybody experience in this Break-in period. Because I'm scared that my DIY Pass Aleph X will be better and beat this XA 60.8 after the break-in period.
I'm left for the first 5 days 24h on , then during 5 days 12h on and then completely off the wall. And now flow 48h on and then for 12h off the wall. And still can't find the magic.

My setup:

Pass Aleph P
DIY speakers
marantz SA11S1

If someone had the same feeling at breaking in please let me calm and share your experience.

PS: there are some times where I like the new AMP but this is not all the time and now even near my DIY amps.

Did you buy the XA 60.8 or is it on a trial audition from Reno HiFi? Perhaps your DIY amp is simply a better match for your DIY speakers or you don't like the sound of the XA 60.8. It should be well broken in at this point and not change much.

Have you discussed any of this with Pass Labs? I have found them to be quite responsive to questions. I've never heard an Aleph P with any of the newer Pass amps.

I have the XA160.5 and they sound great with my speakers. I've tried the XA160.8 in my system and they also sounded good but quite different.

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
Did you buy the XA 60.8 or is it on a trial audition from Reno HiFi? Perhaps your DIY amp is simply a better match for your DIY speakers or you don't like the sound of the XA 60.8. It should be well broken in at this point and not change much.

Have you discussed any of this with Pass Labs? I have found them to be quite responsive to questions. I've never heard an Aleph P with any of the newer Pass amps.

I have the XA160.5 and they sound great with my speakers. I've tried the XA160.8 in my system and they also sounded good but quite different.

I did buy it. I had session with XP-10 and thought this is a good sound. But with other speakers the B&W 802 diamonds. My speakers are way better than those I think. I hoop they still haven't Break-In. I will wait more or will sell them. With the INT 30.5 I had 1 year ago it was better sound then this XA 60.8 The sound of my Aleph x and those of the INT 30.5 could take me another world in matter of 1-2 hours when they ware at good temperature.
I really hoop this will change in 2-3 weeks.

They now sound beautiful. I forgot to change back my test in Crossover on my DIY speakers.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I did buy it. I had session with XP-10 and thought this is a good sound. But with other speakers the B&W 802 diamonds. My speakers are way better than those I think. I hoop they still haven't Break-In. I will wait more or will sell them. With the INT 30.5 I had 1 year ago it was better sound then this XA 60.8
I really hoop this will change in 2-3 weeks.

Why don't you try the XP10 from Reno for two weeks with your .8 amps? It would only cost you the shipping charges if you return it. Perhaps the 60.8 is more transparent and you are hearing the faults of the Aleph P. IF you like the XP10, you could trade in your Aleph P toward the price of an XP10 demo unit.

I'd also call Pass Labs and talk to them about it.

Barring that, just listen and sell them if you don't like them.

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
Thanks for advice Peter. But I live in Poland and have to ask for it to my local dealer. I hope he will be kind to borrow it for a listen session. He wasn't that kind with the XA 60.8 so I bought it.
Please let me know what Pass says. I have to this man respect because he has introduced me to DIY and I build with help my First Aleph X 60W :) I was was for 8 years very pleased with it. And now I wanted something more from the Pass World and toke one original home.

They now sound beautiful. I forgot to change back my test in Crossover on my DIY speakers.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks for advice Peter. But I live in Poland and have to ask for it to my local dealer. I hope he will be kind to borrow it for a listen session. He wasn't that kind with the XA 60.8 so I bought it.
Please let me know what Pass says. I have to this man respect because he has introduced me to DIY and I build with help my First Aleph X 60W :) I was was for 8 years very pleased with it. And now I wanted something more from the Pass World and toke one original home.

I don't know the specifics of your speakers, DIY amps, room, musical tastes, etc., so I don't think it is appropriate for me to contact them on your behalf. Perhaps you can just send them an email and ask a few questions about the various amps and preamps being compatible with your speakers and tastes and listen to what they have to say. You could also contact Nelson on his DIY forum and ask questions without leaving your computer.

Of course, you don't have to, and you can just sell the amps after a while if you don't end up enjoying them.

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
I don't know the specifics of your speakers, DIY amps, room, musical tastes, etc., so I don't think it is appropriate for me to contact them on your behalf. Perhaps you can just send them an email and ask a few questions about the various amps and preamps being compatible with your speakers and tastes and listen to what they have to say. You could also contact Nelson on his DIY forum and ask questions without leaving your computer.

Of course, you don't have to, and you can just sell the amps after a while if you don't end up enjoying them.

You are right. I will first wait , maybe a miracle will occur with burn in. Wiat I'm experiencing now is that the good records are sounding not badly. Only I like more warmer sound. I think that this is the main reason why I missing something in sound. Or maybe a good Preamplifier will cure my experience with those amps.

I did send Email to Pass Labs. Will wait for answer. Maybe his experience and wisdom will do something magical to my audio.

Last edited:

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Hi All.

My setup:

Pass Aleph P
DIY speakers
marantz SA11S1

After 300 hours there will be no further sonic changes!

I own a XA60.5 and after discussions with Kent English at Pass Labs the point 8 series is more neutral (i. e. Colder) than the point 5 series.

This may not be a perceived improvement to some.

I will not change to the point 8 series as I like a warm, more liquid sound.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
After 300 hours there will be no further sonic changes!

I own a XA60.5 and after discussions with Kent English at Pass Labs the point 8 series is more neutral (i. e. Colder) than the point 5 series.

This may not be a perceived improvement to some.

I will not change to the point 8 series as I like a warm, more liquid sound.

Me too, so I am afraid to change from my XA60.5's. Love 'em.

SlowikPL,

Have you considered a great tube preamp in front of your point 8 amps? You might be surprised that the combo might be perfect for your taste.

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
Hi all. Thanks for the advice. I asked mr. Pass what he is thinking about this.
My dealer says that maybe my ALeph P i causing this. So they manage audition at my home with XP-10 if i like this i then can to another with XP-20 or even XP-30.
I was yesterday listening only at good recordings and swapper the power cords to originals ones that Pass provided with.
My opinion from yesterday was that the amp is revealing much more than all my previous experience with AMPs. Maybe this is why I had some complains. The amp is maybe sound more revealing the sound and the bad recordings are just no more fun with it.
Do not get me wrong. I like very much the crisp nuances that the new Amp I reveling. Just hoop it will be later on more musical. Maybe ( like 60.5 vs 100.5 ) the 100.8 is better for me ? Have someone the knowledge of it ?

Hi guys. I found my problem. I forgot that I did make Changes on my DIY speakers long time before I buying this AMP the Zobel-network in my Middle Driver. I did change is back and I was sounding that this influenced my speakers that much that the ware dead sounding before that. Now the bloom is back. Not the bloom as my Aleph X , but the sound is already better then my AMP Aleph x. More accurate and neutral! His was what I was looking for!

I`m experiencing that the pointer moves 1mm if the loudness on my speakers is almost to the max. And this pointer goes backwards. It this causing by my speakers or power supply!? I think my speakers needs more watts, or I'm wrong? But also I hope this will not degrade my experience on my LP. If happens onley on very loud listening that I usely do not do. Do I need more powerful AMP ?
I found now that is even moves when there is no sound reproduction. So I think it's my supply of current.The current is 236.2V - 238.5V

I can still invest more to get the 100.8 Can someone tell me some advice? It is not that that the sound is decreasing,but just mentally. What you guys think? My speakers are about 89dB efficient and if I listen at normal level the meter stays on the one spot.

I got massage from Pass according my worry’s : A few mm movement on the meter wand doesn't really mean anything. If the wand goes for 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock, then you are probably leaving Class A operation. The AC voltage shift could be causing the slight movement of the meter wand - this is nothing to worry about.

On Friday i will have for 2 days Pass Labs XP-30
I`ll report what i think about it after that.

Last edited:

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
Hi,

I have now after some month’s opinion about the Pass XA 60.8 and now also have also purchased the Pass XP 20. I had some troubles at begin with the sound of the new units compared to my Aleph P Pre and the DIY Aleph X 60W mono`s.
In compare it to my old system at first the bloom in midrange was gone. That was for me a very big disappointment at first, because I hear different thinks during the auditions at the shop with XP 10 and my XA 60.8 then my old Aleph P and new 60.8.
After 2 months of investigating why my new AMP was so different I have purchased the Pass XP 20 Preamp to see it had the effect in the better way. It was better space allocation but not the midrange bloom why I loved my Pass gear.
Then I realized that I had made some changes in my speakers before I bought XA 60.8. After the change reversed the sound was many times better but not the way I was familiar with from Pass. No charms from the Midds and Highs.
Then after someday ( one week ago) I realized that I switched my DIY XLR cables based on Klotz 5000 series to Mogami`s ( not sure what type ). So I changed it back 4 days ago. And , and , and my BLOOM was back !!!! Love was again sparkling from the AMP`s.
So, after some cables switch XLRs from Mogami to Klotz 5000 series ( I know very cheap ones ? ) the new set of mine is sublime !!!
So everything I was worried about the sound I now for 100% gone. I`m now very pleased with the reality ( wat I was firs looking for in the new set ) , the bloom, and space the new amp in combination with the Pre has to offer. Really the new .8 series ware the combination of typical Pass sound with the Spicy pinpoint reality with much wider stage as bonus !!
Now I can add 6K to upgrade from 60.8 to 100.8 , I do nod need more power so I think I will upgrade something else. Some better cables ( any suggestion’s ? )

And now I’m looking for new DAC and my search for music reproduction will end………… This year :)

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Hi slowikpl. Try Transparent reference cables and MSB Analog Dac with Analog power base.
I am relieved that your Xa 60.8 sounds good.
My Xa 100.8 is burning in at the dealer and will only be delivered after fully burned in.
Had I done the burn in at my home I probably would go mad as he sound fluctuates.

Last edited:

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
power conditioner for Xa 100.8

my amps are still burning in.

I am now considering power conditioner.
Pass Labs recommend I plug direct to the wall.
Comments are welcome especially on Transparent Audio or Shunyata

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
my amps are still burning in.

I am now considering power conditioner.
Pass Labs recommend I plug direct to the wall.
Comments are welcome especially on Transparent Audio or Shunyata

I have Pass XA160.5 amps. I use JPS Labs In-Wall cable directly from a dedicated 20 amp circuit through the floor and terminated in a Furutech IEC plug which is then plugged directly into each amp. Two cables, two 20 amp circuits, no outlets, no power cords. It is a very direct connection with no interruptions. There are some details on my system page.

You can also look up MadFloyd's thread about his electrical issues. He had Equi-Tech transformers in line between his panel and his Pass amps. The transformers were under sized and negatively effected his sonics. He now has a dedicated circuit for each amp and the sound is much better. Just high quality outlets and Shunyata power cords. No power conditioner for the amps.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Three days ago, I received a pair of X-260.8's for trial demo, possibly replacing my Ayre MXR's. They are each plugged directly into a dedicated circuit, each with a Shunyata Typhon. I am very impressed, and while they only now have 48 hours run time, I doubt they are going back. A definite step up, with more authority, more solid bass, wider, deeper soundstage, and more air around instruments.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing