Part 1: My history and philosophy, some comments on field coils, and the future of this forum

songeraudio

Manufacturer Handmade Field Coil Speakers
Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
I'd like to thank Steve Williams for offering the opportunity of this forum. Much of it will be about field coil drivers and loudspeakers specifically, but my hope is that it will also touch upon many interrelated topics of interest, along the way.

Firstly, I'm not inclined to lecture. Scratch beneath my surface, and within you'll find an artist looking back at you, rather than a scientist or an engineer. Likewise, I don't believe that my ideas or field coils should be preferred by the more civilized among us. The world is full of great loudspeakers, and only a handful of them happen to be electromagnetic. Conversely, field coils are an unfamiliar territory for most of us. It isn't uncommon to find long threads of discussion online in which field coils are enthusiastically embraced or dismissed by audiophiles, often without any first-hand experience of them. What's more, I was surprised to discover this past year how small a percentage of the attendees at shows are aware of what a field coil driver is, or have ever knowingly listened to one. My goal here is to share my own first-hand experience of them with you. In that process, I hope that I can learn a great deal, confer a little knowledge, inspire curiosity, and make field coil loudspeakers a bit more accessible.

I’ll begin with a little about myself first, and my history. My father was an accomplished musician, who started playing piano by ear at age 3. He took piano lessons at age 4 from famous Hungarian concert pianist Madame Lili Keleti, won many awards for his music, and played formally with the Boris Sirpo orchestra. I have him to thank for my lifelong love of music. In college, I myself studied drawing and sculpture, and eventually graduated with a degree in visual design. There isn't a lot of room for painters and sculptors in our modern world however, and over the 20+ following years I worked instead as a software engineer.

The software industry was surprisingly creative. After all, no two people approach a problem in the same way. It also afforded me a good living. My off-hours nonetheless were spent in a variety of creative pursuits, and in my latter years in software I'd found myself increasingly turning toward building loudspeakers as an outlet, using stock drivers. I also found myself consumed by thoughts of creating drivers by hand, and at least one complete loudspeaker based upon them. It grew over time into a creative passion that I felt I needed to pursue.

It was clear to me that, no matter the amount of passion, nothing was going to allow the technical wizardry of a Wilson Audio Chronosonic to simply emerge mythologically from my forehead. In fact, at the stage of life I'd reached, not even rigorous study was likely to achieve that end. If I was to stand any chance of actualizing my goals, what was true for me when I entered software without a computer science degree would also need to be true for this endeavor. That necessary truism was that in many crafts, as in programming, beneath its layers of discourse and intellectual curiosities there are a handful of conceptual pillars. And, if those are internalized and well expressed, success need not require anything else. With nothing more, even an uncredentialed hand can arrive at something very pure, and occasionally, at something extraordinary.

Thankfully, I did find that axiom to be true... at least, for the most part. At some point there may be nothing for a problem other than brain surgery, and that requires knowledge and skill that one has or doesn't have. That said, I began this adventure without even a basic understanding of how a dynamic loudspeaker driver works, and eventually arrived a decade later at what I'd like to hope is one of the better dynamic drivers in the world.

Be that as it may, while field coils have enjoyed a recent renaissance, electromagnetism in its various applications has not become a standard of quality for sound reproduction in loudspeakers. I'd like to offer a few observations about that, in this case limited to dynamic drivers. Firstly, the same manufacturing disadvantages that drove field coils into obscurity in the last mid-century are no less true today. Field coils are expensive and labor intensive to make. They are heavy. They require an external power supply. They can potentially overheat. Of further consideration to modern manufacturers, over time they have become unfamiliar to most of us who love audio.

To be clear, I genuinely celebrate the fact that when all is said and done, the cash value of everything the industry does, from manufacturing to reviewing, is a subjective experience for a listener with art. While there are ever deeper layers of knowledge and richness to expose in that experience, I am (as other makers are) loath to ever suggest that anyone is simply doing it wrong, or even incompletely, for that matter. I'd no more suggest that than I would to anyone that they are viewing a painting or sculpture in 'the wrong way'. I don't feel the slightest need to grade the subjective experiences of listeners.

However, I think a rational and truly useful discussion can be had about things like the physics behind listening experiences, and the properties of differing magnetic materials. In that, I find that manufacturers like myself don't often make the value proposition for what a great field coil has the potential to offer. As an analogy, current data suggests that cheese shows less potential as a material for a rocket fuselage than does titanium, and irrespective of whether we opt for cheese anyway, or of how we feel about the rocket, where it's going, or outer space in general, that distinction need not be considered opaque. It is evident, conversely, that assessing the potential of permanent magnetic materials in audio quickly, and quite understandably, becomes a less clear discussion. Unlike a simple contest between cheese and titanium, there is no end to motor designs in modern drivers, including complex hybrids with several magnetic materials simultaneously in play (even to include electromagnetism, occasionally). Each one of them is task-built to a very specific driver design, and confers its own unique, sonic signature. Which of these complex, modern designs is best? I haven't the slightest idea. I'd suggest that few of us often fully do.

But there are a few things that we surely can say about magnetic materials, and the electromagnetic alternatives to them. One is that every permanent magnet that any of us has ever experienced was made with a powerful field coil. For the purpose of audio, the potential magnetic strength of a field coil is all but limitless. We can also say that the highest saturation and therefore the greatest permeability, the lowest hysteresis, the most uniform gap flux density and the lowest susceptibility to parasitic effects are all attributable to the field generated by a solenoid; for our purposes, the solenoid inside a field coil. And again, just as it is with magnetic strength potential, each of these values comparative to a permanent magnet of any kind or combination isn't a matter of small margins that fall below the threshold of the listening experience - for many listeners, the effect of that delta is immediately and viscerally apparent. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I or other field coil makers deliver that message well.

Another important point I see to mention is that electromagnetism is by no means the only, or necessarily the governing factor in whether a driver ultimately sounds very good at all. Turning to analogy once again, while it is true that reinforced concrete is a stronger foundation to build upon than gravel, it doesn't follow that the more beautiful or lasting structures will be built upon one, and not the other. The dominant factor in my driver for example is the fact that it is a large full-range driver with a whizzer cone, and not that it happens to be a field coil. If one's goal is a thriving loudspeaker enterprise based on a near-occult topology, that's a difficult message to carry. Most of us simply want a clear answer that they should, if discerning enough, appreciate or dismiss the quality of field coil loudspeakers... and of course, that simply can't be said. At shows I, and no doubt some of you, have heard field coil loudspeakers that suffer from any number of subjective deficits... shrill, shouty, thin, fatiguing, etc. I've also heard some that were, at least for me, astonishingly good. In each of those cases, the field coil was only a part of the whole story.

The last factor I'd like to touch on regarding the adoption of field coils is, heretical as it may be to say, measured accuracy of sound reproduction is not necessarily the goal of every listener. Each audiophile loves the experience they've crafted for themselves, and unfailingly each may refer to it as accurate, balanced, neutral and so on... even if objective data doesn't confirm that. I have no doubt that presented with a system that is objectively neutral, some number audiophiles will run rather than walk back to the system they have carefully curated, and prefer. And, I sincerely think that's great; it's just as it should be.

In any case, in this long-winded preface I hope I've given you some idea of where this is all headed. Over the course of a decade I designed and built two critically acclaimed loudspeakers. And, it just so happens that they are based on a wonderful field coil driver.

In the forum posts to come, I'd like to document that journey here.

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I currently have and listen to Supravox, Fertin, and Atelier-Rullit full range field coil drivers. All are excellent but the Fertin’s, with their silver coils, are extraordinary in their ability to delineate the bass notes and the upper treble resolution. I look forward to one day listening to a Songer field-coil full range drivers.

Are the Songer drivers available for sale? I don’t need a new speaker but would be interested in the drivers, to try out in my JE Labs open baffles or in my Loth-X back horn loaded Polaris and Troubadour cabinets.

By the way, I first heard about Songer from Pat at Whammerdyne. I own one his Truth amplifiers, another great gem. It is my understanding that Whammerdyne manufactures the power-supply for the Songer field coil drivers. What a great outfit.

Last edited:

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I'd like to thank Steve Williams for offering the opportunity of this forum. Much of it will be about field coil drivers and loudspeakers specifically, but my hope is that it will also touch upon many interrelated topics of interest, along the way.

Firstly, I'm not inclined to lecture. Scratch beneath my surface, and within you'll find an artist looking back at you, rather than a scientist or an engineer. Likewise, I don't believe that my ideas or field coils should be preferred by the more civilized among us. The world is full of great loudspeakers, and only a handful of them happen to be electromagnetic. Conversely, field coils are an unfamiliar territory for most of us. It isn't uncommon to find long threads of discussion online in which field coils are enthusiastically embraced or dismissed by audiophiles, often without any first-hand experience of them. What's more, I was surprised to discover this past year how small a percentage of the attendees at shows are aware of what a field coil driver is, or have ever knowingly listened to one. My goal here is to share my own first-hand experience of them with you. In that process, I hope that I can learn a great deal, confer a little knowledge, inspire curiosity, and make field coil loudspeakers a bit more accessible.

I’ll begin with a little about myself first, and my history. My father was an accomplished musician, who started playing piano by ear at age 3. He took piano lessons at age 4 from famous Hungarian concert pianist Madame Lili Keleti, won many awards for his music, and played formally with the Boris Sirpo orchestra. I have him to thank for my lifelong love of music. In college, I myself studied drawing and sculpture, and eventually graduated with a degree in visual design. There isn't a lot of room for painters and sculptors in our modern world however, and over the 20+ following years I worked instead as a software engineer.

The software industry was surprisingly creative. After all, no two people approach a problem in the same way. It also afforded me a good living. My off-hours nonetheless were spent in a variety of creative pursuits, and in my latter years in software I'd found myself increasingly turning toward building loudspeakers as an outlet, using stock drivers. I also found myself consumed by thoughts of creating drivers by hand, and at least one complete loudspeaker based upon them. It grew over time into a creative passion that I felt I needed to pursue.

It was clear to me that, no matter the amount of passion, nothing was going to allow the technical wizardry of a Wilson Audio Chronosonic to simply emerge mythologically from my forehead. In fact, at the stage of life I'd reached, not even rigorous study was likely to achieve that end. If I was to stand any chance of actualizing my goals, what was true for me when I entered software without a computer science degree would also need to be true for this endeavor. That necessary truism was that in many crafts, as in programming, beneath its layers of discourse and intellectual curiosities there are a handful of conceptual pillars. And, if those are internalized and well expressed, success need not require anything else. With nothing more, even an uncredentialed hand can arrive at something very pure, and occasionally, at something extraordinary.

Thankfully, I did find that axiom to be true... at least, for the most part. At some point there may be nothing for a problem other than brain surgery, and that requires knowledge and skill that one has or doesn't have. That said, I began this adventure without even a basic understanding of how a dynamic loudspeaker driver works, and eventually arrived a decade later at what I'd like to hope is one of the better dynamic drivers in the world.

Be that as it may, while field coils have enjoyed a recent renaissance, electromagnetism in its various applications has not become a standard of quality for sound reproduction in loudspeakers. I'd like to offer a few observations about that, in this case limited to dynamic drivers. Firstly, the same manufacturing disadvantages that drove field coils into obscurity in the last mid-century are no less true today. Field coils are expensive and labor intensive to make. They are heavy. They require an external power supply. They can potentially overheat. Of further consideration to modern manufacturers, over time they have become unfamiliar to most of us who love audio.

To be clear, I genuinely celebrate the fact that when all is said and done, the cash value of everything the industry does, from manufacturing to reviewing, is a subjective experience for a listener with art. While there are ever deeper layers of knowledge and richness to expose in that experience, I am (as other makers are) loath to ever suggest that anyone is simply doing it wrong, or even incompletely, for that matter. I'd no more suggest that than I would to anyone that they are viewing a painting or sculpture in 'the wrong way'. I don't feel the slightest need to grade the subjective experiences of listeners.

However, I think a rational and truly useful discussion can be had about things like the physics behind listening experiences, and the properties of differing magnetic materials. In that, I find that manufacturers like myself don't often make the value proposition for what a great field coil has the potential to offer. As an analogy, current data suggests that cheese shows less potential as a material for a rocket fuselage than does titanium, and irrespective of whether we opt for cheese anyway, or of how we feel about the rocket, where it's going, or outer space in general, that distinction need not be considered opaque. It is evident, conversely, that assessing the potential of permanent magnetic materials in audio quickly, and quite understandably, becomes a less clear discussion. Unlike a simple contest between cheese and titanium, there is no end to motor designs in modern drivers, including complex hybrids with several magnetic materials simultaneously in play (even to include electromagnetism, occasionally). Each one of them is task-built to a very specific driver design, and confers its own unique, sonic signature. Which of these complex, modern designs is best? I haven't the slightest idea. I'd suggest that few of us often fully do.

But there are a few things that we surely can say about magnetic materials, and the electromagnetic alternatives to them. One is that every permanent magnet that any of us has ever experienced was made with a powerful field coil. For the purpose of audio, the potential magnetic strength of a field coil is all but limitless. We can also say that the highest saturation and therefore the greatest permeability, the lowest hysteresis, the most uniform gap flux density and the lowest susceptibility to parasitic effects are all attributable to the field generated by a solenoid; for our purposes, the solenoid inside a field coil. And again, just as it is with magnetic strength potential, each of these values comparative to a permanent magnet of any kind or combination isn't a matter of small margins that fall below the threshold of the listening experience - for many listeners, the effect of that delta is immediately and viscerally apparent. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I or other field coil makers deliver that message well.

Another important point I see to mention is that electromagnetism is by no means the only, or necessarily the governing factor in whether a driver ultimately sounds very good at all. Turning to analogy once again, while it is true that reinforced concrete is a stronger foundation to build upon than gravel, it doesn't follow that the more beautiful or lasting structures will be built upon one, and not the other. The dominant factor in my driver for example is the fact that it is a large full-range driver with a whizzer cone, and not that it happens to be a field coil. If one's goal is a thriving loudspeaker enterprise based on a near-occult topology, that's a difficult message to carry. Most of us simply want a clear answer that they should, if discerning enough, appreciate or dismiss the quality of field coil loudspeakers... and of course, that simply can't be said. At shows I, and no doubt some of you, have heard field coil loudspeakers that suffer from any number of subjective deficits... shrill, shouty, thin, fatiguing, etc. I've also heard some that were, at least for me, astonishingly good. In each of those cases, the field coil was only a part of the whole story.

The last factor I'd like to touch on regarding the adoption of field coils is, heretical as it may be to say, measured accuracy of sound reproduction is not necessarily the goal of every listener. Each audiophile loves the experience they've crafted for themselves, and unfailingly each may refer to it as accurate, balanced, neutral and so on... even if objective data doesn't confirm that. I have no doubt that presented with a system that is objectively neutral, some number audiophiles will run rather than walk back to the system they have carefully curated, and prefer. And, I sincerely think that's great; it's just as it should be.

In any case, in this long-winded preface I hope I've given you some idea of where this is all headed. Over the course of a decade I designed and built two critically acclaimed loudspeakers. And, it just so happens that they are based on a wonderful field coil driver.

In the forum posts to come, I'd like to document that journey here.

Would love to hear more about your history, what have you listened to, experimented with and what lead you to field coils.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
enjoyed my listening to the Songer Audio field coils at the Puget Sound Audio Fest last summer. hope to see you in June again. here are three relevant posts.

Reactions: songeraudio

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
Thank you, @Mike Lavigne. We're confirmed for THE Show in Costa Mesa June 9th-11th, and hope to make the quick turnaround for PAF on the 23rd-25th. Since you listened last year, the drivers have been updated with a new steel geometry, the voicing of both speakers has been further refined, and we've added a Tambaqui DAC that integrates beautifully with our loudspeakers, and Pat's amplifiers. If you ever find yourself in the neighborhood, we'd love to host you for a listening session.

If you can, come see us at THE Show or PAF in June @Carlos269. The drivers are not yet offered for sale, but we likely will offer them at some point in the future - perhaps in a couple of years. Yes, Whammerdyne did a fantastic job with our power supplies! When referencing brain surgery in my post, the design and manufacture of the PS1 was right at top of mind. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thank you, @Mike Lavigne. We're confirmed for THE Show in Costa Mesa June 9th-11th, and hope to make the quick turnaround for PAF on the 23rd-25th. Since you listened last year, the drivers have been updated with a new steel geometry, the voicing of both speakers has been further refined, and we've added a Tambaqui DAC that integrates beautifully with our loudspeakers, and Pat's amplifiers. If you ever find yourself in the neighborhood, we'd love to host you for a listening session.
i might make it to Costa Mesa, and for sure will be at PAF. if i'm heading to Portlandia i will reach out and see if something can be worked out.

and when you are in my neighborhood with time, you would always be welcome at my place. although my only field coils are arms and cartridges.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had a fun time interviewing Ken this morning!

We talked about how Songer Audio came to be, and about Ken's personal approach to loudspeaker design.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

We talked about how Songer Audio came to be, and about Ken's personal approach to loudspeaker design.

Great interview, and Ken comes across as a really nice and humble guy.

tommylion

Feb 14, 2022
Thank you Ron for doing and posting the interview, and Ken for sharing in depth. Fascinating and inspirational stuff, for sure!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When I heard at both AXPONA and T.H.E. Show the organic-ness and naturalness of Ken's speakers (as a dipole person I naturally gravitate to the S2) it made me wonder "why don't all dynamic driver loudspeaker manufacturers use field coil drivers?" and "I wonder what people's favorite permanent magnet loudspeakers made today would sound like with field coil drivers?"

I wonder what a Rockport Lyra would sound like with field coil drivers?

The practical takeaway: a prospective purchaser of speakers in the size range and the price range of the S1 and the S2 has not completed proper auditioning due diligence without hearing Ken's speakers.

I like big speakers. I like speakers that take up a lot of space, use up a lot of power, and scare the birds. I was just fishing when I asked Ken about a much larger format speaker which I jokingly called the "S2 Ultimate." I was so happy he said he was working on something just like that!

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com

I had such a great time doing this, Ron! Thanks for the terrific questions, I'd love to chat again, any time.

Reactions: Eichenbaum

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
An excellent interview Ken. It was fun to watch. Also good to see you getting the notoriety you deserve from your field coil design

I loved both speakers but the S2 really lit my ears up

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
When I heard at both AXPONA and T.H.E. Show the organic-ness and naturalness of Ken's speakers (as a dipole person I naturally gravitate to the S2) it made me wonder "why don't all dynamic driver loudspeaker manufacturers use field coil drivers?" and "I wonder what people's favorite permanent magnet loudspeakers made today would sound like with field coil drivers?"

I wonder what a Rockport Lyra would sound like with field coil drivers?

The practical takeaway: a prospective purchaser of speakers in the size range and the price range of the S1 and the S2 has not completed proper auditioning due diligence without hearing Ken's speakers.

I like big speakers. I like speakers that take up a lot of space, use up a lot of power, and scare the birds. I was just fishing when I asked Ken about a much larger format speaker which I jokingly called the "S2 Ultimate." I was so happy he said he was working on something just like that!
I'm so glad you enjoy the S2 so much, Ron. The S3 is sure to be something special as well. Much development lies ahead, but look for more details about it near the end of this year... cheers!

Reactions: Steve Williams

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
An excellent interview Ken. It was fun to watch. Also good to see you getting the notoriety you deserve from your field coil design

I loved both speakers but the S2 really lit my ears up
Thank you so much, Steve - I'm delighted the S2 speaks to you. It really has been an amazing debut year for us, and I can't wait to return to the Pacific Audio Fest next weekend to share the S2 again with audiophiles here in the Pacific Northwest.

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
I believe this question has been asked before, but if you answered it I missed your reply. Will you make your drivers available separately from your speaker systems to those of the DIY persuasion?

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
I believe this question has been asked before, but if you answered it I missed your reply. Will you make your drivers available separately from your speaker systems to those of the DIY persuasion?
Hi Don,

We will at some point in the future, but I think that's going to be at least a year and likely more away. If you'd like, please feel free to PM me with a good contact email for you, though. I'll add you to the list, and when the time is right we'll email you with the offer to own a pair of them.

Reactions: Steve Williams

DHT4ME

Apr 12, 2021
Las Vegas
I has the most enjoyable time chatting shop at the WCAF and have tremendous respect for every aspect of your venture! The OB was so much better than the ported system and was so happy I got to experience both.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing