Panasonic Plasma TV - Product Line-Up Hierarchy

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I went to the Panasonic website, but still cannot figure out the product line-up hierarchy.

I figure that price is one indicator, but when a few 2011 models are still on the shelves in 2012 it becomes a more complex choice.

For instance, if I'm able to find a TC-P65VT30 for around $1,000, is that a better product than something like a GT50 from the 2012 line-up which may have more features or is so-called smarter?

Current line up in what I'm assuming is the correct hierarchy with the best at top (please correct and or add on to).

VT50
ST50
GT50
UT50
U50
X3

I'm interested in a TC-P65VT30, want to buy locally but if you have on-line suggestions please offer a suggestion or two.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Just remember that Plasma is an energy hog

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57344058-221/led-lcd-vs-plasma-vs-lcd/
Plasmas, especially when you turn up the contrast control (which you need to for them to look their best), just aren't as energy efficient. They are, however, far better than they were a few years ago.

I keep reading about improvements in energy efficiency, somehow an average $50 a year difference is sticking in my head.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks

Revised list: TOP MOST EXPENSIVE - but better?
VT50
GT50
ST50
UT50

Comments in the link seem to say the ST is better than the GT despite being slightly less expensive.

---Here's the score George.

The ST Series is a better value, and also an easier TV to calibrate than the GT Series.
Furthermore, it is also a Better TV or Equal in performance! ...And it costs less!!!
{By the way, some people buy the GT Series for the cosmetics (useless), and some extra features (useless too in my book).}

* You want the Best? Get the 65" VT50 Series.
Second Best? The ST50 Series.

But don't dismiss last year VT30 Series (not as good as this year VT50 Series), but better value (less money), of course.

I dunno your budget, but if it is around the $2,000 mark; just get the 65" VT50 Series and you can be sure that you have the very best HDTV (#1 top ranking) on the market right now.

If you are cheap ;), and you're more into the $1,000 price range, the ST50 Series (65") is your best bet (perhaps few dollars more).

As for the GT50 Series of this year compared to the VT30 Series of last year; tough call.
For that you'll have to investigate yourself as to their set of features that suit YOU best.
Performance wise; I believe that they are very similar.
Perhaps the price is a factor?

CONCLUSION: VT50 Series (2012)= Very Best/TOP
ST50 Series (2012)= Excellent

GT50 Series (2012); I dunno enough.

VT30 Series (2011) = Excellent (Plus the price shoud be attractive now)
ST30 Series (2011) = Excellent (Even better Value)

GT30 Series (2011); Out of the running (because more money than the ST30, and lesser/equal performance, plus more difficulty to calibrate).

>>> And that is from very extensive reading, and the very best professional reviews from all over the world!

LAST: This year 2012 Panasonic models are better looking (cosmetics, external appearance). :b

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
The older VT30 (56.0 kg) weighs about 30lbs more than the VT50 (42.5 kg), that alone is convincing me to wait until the VT50 becomes the old model.

That and I want to get ahead on saving funds for glasses and wall brackets too.

Speaking of glasses, the older VT30 glasses (1-pair) cost about 3x's more than the new VT-50 glasses (and you get 2-pair).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---The weight reflects the latest and better technologies (thinner, less framing, etc.).
{It isn't like power amplifiers.}

As for the Active 3D glasses; the 2012 models are cheaper and better as well.
Just as an example; with my Samsung plasma (last year model); the active 3D glasses were retailing for $200/pair!
Now the better glasses of this year are much cheaper, lighter, and more comfortable.
And the exact same model as my glasses are now $20/pair! ...Ten times less than just last year!

If I hadn't bought my Plasma from last year, I would buy the Panasonic 65" VT50 Series, absolutely!
It is the BEST Plasma for 2012, and the price is simply amazing! ...And out-of-this-world street!
That is the flat panel Plasma HDTV I highly recommend now to any first-class videophiles.

* Wall brackets to mount your plasma set can be had for as low as $50!

** Check 'Avatar 3D' (BD) on that Panny set, and be prepared to be blown away, radically!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What do you guys do with all of your old TV sets, including your old flat ones?

Toss them into another room in the house?

Sell them on-line?

Donate them to charity?

Try Craig's List, then donate to charity!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
UPDATE: 01/14/2013

Late last week my TV finally came in, a 3-week wait for a "special order". Had I known that was going to happen I would have bought from another local dealer - last time with this one. They only felt obligated to take off $60 for the extra two weeks, and they were already more than a big box place I could have gone to.

http://s184.beta.photobucket.com/user/kach22i/library/Stereo

The best thing to come out of this is the speakers are a full 7-feet aprt, with my head about 13 feet away. Houston, we have lift-off! Big-Big sound stage for both movies and 2-channel stereo (separate systems in same room).

I know the purist video people will say the 60 inch screen (Panasonic Plasma TC-P60ST50 - edit) is not large enough, but it's big enough for me. Still working on hiding some of the TV connectors.

The TV is everything I had hoped it would be, highly recommended. However, buy from someone stocking it, the 60 inch must not generate the sales of the 55 and 65 inchers, but it's the one I wanted with sight-lines and fireplace mantel size I have.

Watched so far in 2D (have glasses but no 3D source material):

Real Steel (fighting robots)

John Carter (of Mars)

Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol

The surround speakers are 2 to 3 feet behind my head, but turned down they are working pretty good.

I want to clear out those record cubes adjacent to the center rack, been begging the wife to clean out one of her piles so that I can reorganize. We will see, this may be another battle.

We are trying to give away the cat, she's been chewing on my wires for years as I discovered in flipping the room 180 degrees, thankfully not my Nordost though.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Related: Get your plasmas while they last... the Wall Street Journal reports today that Panasonic is closing another plasma factory in China.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- George, I'm just curious: how much did you pay for your Panasonic HDTV 3D plasma
TC-P60VT50 model? ...Or is it the TC-P60ST50 Series model?

The top-of-the-line, and the largest size (2012 plama model), the TC-P65VT50 ($3,700 retail) is now $2,399 (street) at several places (price matching too), as the new ST60, GT60, VT60 2013 Series are getting ready to hit the stores.

A year ago, it was unthinkable to put a sticker price of only $2,399 for a plasma 3D HDTV of that high caliber; in fact the top plasma HDTV (65") of them all, right now.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
-- ...Or is it the TC-P60ST50 Series model?
It was the ST model, the VT's are better but I don't need the best, just real good is good enough.

I paid less than the Sears price but not by all that much, plus the wait was forever.

The ABC price as I understand it is an on-line price. You can pick it up at the store but if you have problems you pay for shipping it back to God knows where. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I doubt the local store can match that on-line price, and there must be a reason for that, right?

My wife wanted the extended warranty which added to the costs.

I got the Sanus wall bracket at half of list from my local store (cheaper than on-line), and the 3D glasses were about 1/3 less too (than even the lowest on-line price). Looking at the "big picture" I feel that I did okay.

MCM Electronics and Parts Express took another bit of change from me for all the new connections including one from my laptop to the TV/Monitor. I feel too nervous about using the TV's browser, more secure with the laptop and all the protection I'm accustomed to.

I'm glad I have a Pick-Up truck, had to keep it vertical in the bed with some bungee cords, driving with the flashers on. The longest 2-1/2 mile trip I ever took. A two man job to move it, and to mount it.

Attachments

• Sears-1.jpg
    Sears-1.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 114
  • abc-1.jpg
    abc-1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing