Out of the mouth of babies

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
My 11 year old daughter came to visit at the office yesterday. As I was working on the new Genesis 4, she sat in too on some of the listening evaluation. As she plays the cello, I played a solo cello piece for her.

Daddy: How does it sound, Michele?

Michele: It sounds great Daddy. Better than at home.

D: Mummy will get these speakers when I'm done with them so that you have them at home.

M: But how do you know that they will sound good at home too, Daddy?

D: What do you mean, Michele?

M: They will sound different at home.

D: Why?

M: Because the room is different.

D: Huh?

M: When I play my cello in the orchestra room in school, it sounds different from when I play at home. In school, it sounds tight and harder and at home it sounds softer and warmer. I like it more when I play at home but I hear my mistakes more when I play in school. At home, the speakers will sound different so how do you know Mummy will like these speakers at home?

D: Because, you see, Daddy's speakers have these knobs to change the sound of the speaker.

M: So I can make them sound the same in different rooms? (Hops around and claps her hands)

D: See these two knobs? One makes it softer or brighter and the other makes it warmer or tighter. Try it yourself.

She does, and nods in approval.

I think that the design stage is complete.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
My 11 year old daughter came to visit at the office yesterday. As I was working on the new Genesis 4, she sat in too on some of the listening evaluation. As she plays the cello, I played a solo cello piece for her.

Daddy: How does it sound, Michele?

Michele: It sounds great Daddy. Better than at home.

D: Mummy will get these speakers when I'm done with them so that you have them at home.

M: But how do you know that they will sound good at home too, Daddy?

D: What do you mean, Michele?

M: They will sound different at home.

D: Why?

M: Because the room is different.

D: Huh?

M: When I play my cello in the orchestra room in school, it sounds different from when I play at home. In school, it sounds tight and harder and at home it sounds softer and warmer. I like it more when I play at home but I hear my mistakes more when I play in school. At home, the speakers will sound different so how do you know Mummy will like these speakers at home?

D: Because, you see, Daddy's speakers have these knobs to change the sound of the speaker.

M: So I can make them sound the same in different rooms? (Hops around and claps her hands)

D: See these two knobs? One makes it softer or brighter and the other makes it warmer or tighter. Try it yourself.

She does, and nods in approval.

I think that the design stage is complete.

Smart kid. I guess the fruit does not fall far from the tree.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Great story Gary. She must be a little angel.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Now it would be great to have her do all the input on the CNC machines. The younger, the more naturally brilliant.

zz.

Thanks, zz. I had forgotten to put my FB pictures up on WBF. Michele will certainly get to have her say on the looks of the speaker as well. She already likes the proportions of the first prototype raw cabinet.

Here's the CNC machine that zz was referring to:

After years of struggling with 3rd party CNC suppliers and contractors, our cabinetmaker Jim finally gets his own CNC machine. He spent most of the week with the consultants from the manufacturer learning the ropes. And that was after a week in "CNC School".

CNC Machine.jpg

A brand new CNC machine...... in the mountains near Seattle

Landscape.jpg

This is where everything gets controlled. Jim says that in future, I can just send him my dxf drawings and the machine will just spit out the parts. At the moment, he has already programmed in all the shapes of the Genesis drivers in use. The prototype cabinet of the Genesis 4 will be the first product out of this machine - hopefully nothing goes wrong or we won't have a speaker to play with at CES.

Programming.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
What's the Genesis 4, Gary?

Which position is it at in your lineup?

It will be above the current G5, and below the current G2Jr.

At some future point, there might also be a G3 between the G2Jr and the G4. That's the plan anyway.......

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
It will be above the current G5, and below the current G2Jr.

At some future point, there might also be a G3 between the G2Jr and the G4. That's the plan anyway.......

Be wary of the number 4, Gary. They may not sell in Asia.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Be wary of the number 4, Gary. They may not sell in Asia.

I know the risk...... but that's the next number in line. Besides, in Feng Shui the number 4 is a lucky number.

Gary, your smart angel sure makes you proud of her!

Thanks all. I am very proud of her.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I know the risk...... but that's the next number in line. Besides, in Feng Shui the number 4 is a lucky number.

four and nine are unlucky numbers in Japan. Four is "shi" same pronunciation for death, "ku" or nine is the pronunciation for torture.

i deal with sophisticated clients from Asia that follow feng shui and make it a priority on projects i work on, it drives me bonkers! its hard to believe anything gets done over there as your life is dictated by so many superstitions.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
four and nine are unlucky numbers in Japan. Four is "shi" same pronunciation for death, "ku" or nine is the pronunciation for torture.

i deal with sophisticated clients from Asia that follow feng shui and make it a priority on projects i work on, it drives me bonkers! its hard to believe anything gets done over there as your life is dictated by so many superstitions.

I agree!! Superstitions are rife. Sometimes, it's just a similar pronunciation. Four is unlucky in Hong Kong because in Cantonese it sounds like "death" but not in all parts of China. Some people won't even own books since it sounds like "to lose".

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Couldn't you just change the name in the area's that would have a problem with it? Just call it the very lucky speaker in those area's.:)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I agree!! Superstitions are rife. Sometimes, it's just a similar pronunciation. Four is unlucky in Hong Kong because in Cantonese it sounds like "death" but not in all parts of China. Some people won't even own books since it sounds like "to lose".

my wifes side is Japanese and you cant give a gift to someone that has four of anything in it, the older generation in particular will view it as a curse and throw it away. On the bright side, its becoming less and less popular with younger genrations we often have a good laugh about it over drinks:)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
my wifes side is Japanese and you cant give a gift to someone that has four of anything in it, the older generation in particular will view it as a curse and throw it away. On the bright side, its becoming less and less popular with younger genrations we often have a good laugh about it over drinks:)

My wife's language is Cantonese, and I can't give her a book either.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing