Other than your ears, what influenced you most to buy a Wilson?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Wilson may be the most successful company in high end audio. The Sophia 2 sounds superb and the new Sasha is quite good sounding as well. I can't wait to hear the Maxx3.

What is it about the Wilson brand that you like? Other than your ears, what influenced you most to buy a Wilson? Rave reviews? Was it a famous reviewer owning the speaker? Was it the look? The colors? A feeling that you have arrived in life?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
For me it is all of the above Over the years i have made many payments on Daves home in Provo as well as helping to buy that Ferrari but for me it was all worth it

Prior to my first Wilson speaker I was running Thiel CS7s until I heard the WP 5.1 which I bought. After that Inowned WP6s, MAXX series l, X-1 series lll, X-2 series 1 and now X-2 series ll. I have also owned his XS sub and currently use WATCH center, surround and rears. So I guess I feel that i can talk about Wilson with some degree of authority. I have toured the factory in Provo and have been to Daves house to hear the X-1 series lll vs the X-2 series l.

For my ears Wilson sound is what floats my sonic boat. Together with my Lamm front end I feel they pair as if it is a marriage made in heaven

The build quality is second to none and of course his paint and colors IMO are truly exceptional.. the inhouse quality control for paint and construction is exceptional. Most either love him or hate him but for my ears he has brought me to audio nirvana.

I'd like to say "just my $0.02" but over the years my investment was heavy, but for me, all worth it

YMMV

caesar

May 30, 2010
For me it is all of the above Over the years i have made many payments on Daves home in Provo as well as helping to buy that Ferrari but for me it was all worth it

Prior to my first Wilson speaker I was running Thiel CS7s until I heard the WP 5.1 which I bought. After that Inowned WP6s, MAXX series l, X-1 series lll, X-2 series 1 and now X-2 series ll. I have also owned his XS sub and currently use WATCH center, surround and rears. So I guess I feel that i can talk about Wilson with some degree of authority. I have toured the factory in Provo and have been to Daves house to hear the X-1 series lll vs the X-2 series l.

For my ears Wilson sound is what floats my sonic boat. Together with my Lamm front end I feel they pair as if it is a marriage made in heaven

The build quality is second to none and of course his paint and colors IMO are truly exceptional.. the inhouse quality control for paint and construction is exceptional. Most either love him or hate him but for my ears he has brought me to audio nirvana.

I'd like to say "just my $0.02" but over the years my investment was heavy, but for me, all worth it

YMMV

Thanks - you are an authority!

Out of curiosity, if you did not have Lamm, what would be your second choice of electronics?

Also, sounds like you are a tube guy. Would you still enjoy Wilson if it were powered by SS? I think Fremer likes it with powerful Musical Fidelity SS. A lot of other guys also like to run it with something powerful like BAT SS monoblocks or Krell or the new big Bryston amps.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I've been a Martin Logan listener for the past fifteen years. What brought me to Wilson (WP 8's) was hearing them at RMAF. I then spent a lot of time at ne plus ultra, in Austin, listening to Wilsons. The look, the sound, the quality perspective Wilson has, all influenced me. I am completely blown away with how good they sound in my media room, being driven by an inexpensive Jolida JD1000RC integrated amplifier. I've rolled all the tubes in this unit and am very pleased with its ability to drive the Wilsons to any listening level I want. The fit and finish are to the highest standards and the Carmen Red paint is spectacular, too.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I never liked the Wilson sound until about the time the Sophia came out. I had always heard WP and others paired with big Krell amps and would always would run out the door with my hands over my ears. The Sophias were the first Wilsons I heard that I liked, then the WP7 and Maxx's.

I was very impressed with the attention to detail and craftsmanship. They had the aura of "you've finally made it".

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've never owned a pair of Wilsons but the fact that they hold their value better than most any other mark out there, has got to be a big bonus when the upgrade itch happens.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I checked out their color choices and noticed that my speaker's color, Carmen Red, looked nothing like the color shown on the web page.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I checked out their color choices and noticed that my speaker's color, Carmen Red, looked nothing like the color shown on the web page.

You would need to have your monitor color calibrated to see the "exact" color you're expecting-as graphic artists have done :)

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
You would need to have your monitor color calibrated to see the "exact" color you're expecting-as graphic artists have done :)

Good suggestion Myles, but in this case, it is definitely the site's error. I can take a digital picture of my speakers and look at it via my monitor and it looks correct.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Not a Wilson owner and not planning to be one either .. I never liked the Wilson brand of sound ... I still don't care much about it, except for the X-2 however is a different Wilson and a superior speaker no doubt. From what I have been told so is the MAXX-3 ... I did recently hear the Sophia and was not moved that much There are serious contenders in this price range IMO, I don't see how I would take a Sophia over my former Magnepan MG 20.1 or the Von Schweikert Audio UniField 3 and many others .. The Sasha , I havent heard ...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Steve I'm not prepapred to rank the SASHA. But it lives up to the Wilson hype.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Did I mention that I love the Sasha and recommend it highly? I just don't think I heard it long enough to rank it.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Not a Wilson owner and not planning to be one either ...

The question is "Other than your ears, what influenced you most to buy a Wilson?"

If you're Not a Wilson owner and not planning to be one either, I'm wondering why did you feel the need to comment?

Last edited:

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
The question is "Other than your ears, what influenced you most to buy a Wilson?"

If you're Not a Wilson owner and not planning to be one either, I'm wondering why did you feel the need to comment?

I guess our friend FrantzM, is unwilling or unable to answer my question. ;-)

Happy Holidays.

Dan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing