Oscar Pistorious...does he have the perfect excuse?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Looking at the headlines for the last few days, the "blade runner"- Oscar Pistorious, after having shot and killed his model girlfriend is held at court for pre-meditated murder.
His excuse...he thought there was an intruder in his home and therefore was defending himself:confused:

Security is a MAJOR factor for all South African's...particularly the wealthy. Gates,High walls, barbed wire and armed guards are common place. Gun violence is an every day event. The majority of the
population has access to a gun.

In South Africa, a place where I have visited many times, the trials are conducted without a jury and the cases are decided by a judge and a few legal " experts".

This case will be interesting, because unlike most defendants in a S.African court, Mr Pistorious will have some of the best legal defense that money can buy.
We shall see if his star defense can bolster his alibi and acquit him....justice in a foreign land is interesting to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Not sure that I agree with you Davey

IMO it's an open and shut case and I think he's going down

Why would a burglar or intruder lock himself in a bathroom. The talk now is it could have been Roid rage

Steve, don't get me wrong, I'm not asserting that Mr.Pistorious is guilty or innocent. Simply that his excuse may have more weight given the current state of
civilization in S.Africa. BTW, is there really any such thing as an 'open and shut case':confused: I suspect that this case will lead to some very interesting revelations,
not the least of which could be Droid rage. You ask why would a burglar or intruder lock himself in a bathroom...he would not...BUT are we really sure that is what
actually happened:)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, don't get me wrong, I'm not asserting that Mr.Pistorious is guilty or innocent. Simply that his excuse may have more weight given the current state of
civilization in S.Africa. BTW, is there really any such thing as an 'open and shut case':confused: I suspect that this case will lead to some very interesting revelations,
not the least of which could be Droid rage. You ask why would a burglar or intruder lock himself in a bathroom...he would not...BUT are we really sure that is what
actually happened:)

well IIRC I read that there were 4 bullet shots through the bathroom door

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I agree with Steve based on reading current news articles, it looks very bad for Pistorious. Very sad situation for all concerned.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Not sure that I agree with you Davey

IMO it's an open and shut case and I think he's going down

Why would a burglar or intruder lock himself in a bathroom. The talk now is it could have been roid rage

I agree Steve. STRICTLY my opinion, using pop psychology based on media reports, this guy was over compensating
big time for his lack of legs..uber competitive, reckless, trophy girlfriend..

He CLEARLY had a dark side for which came up with when things did not go his way. He managed it for PR purposes.

And yes, Roid rage is a clear possibility.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I agree with Steve based on reading current news articles, it looks very bad for Pistorious. Very sad situation for all concerned.

Ditto

You hear a noise in your house . You get your gun .. so far plausible.. You don't check where your fiancee is? .... Strange but we can continue to speculate ... You then a noise in the bathroom .. you query .. no reply .. then you fire .... 4 times???? :rolleyes:

Stranger things have happened but the likelihood of his conviction are very high IMO.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Once again, I am NOT being a proponent for Mr. Pistorious. However, the reason that I think this case is so interesting is because while on the face of it, Mr Pistorious is as guilty as sin, I have a feeling that there will be a lot more that comes to light. Maybe, this is a case where a murderer gets what he deserves or maybe an innocent man is in fact found guilty, or a murderer is set loose:eek:. So far, all we have to go on is the reporting by the media..which as I'm sure we all know can be wildly imaginative.
Like opus111 said above, this is most likely SA's version of OJ. ( Btw, didn't his son do the killing...;) )

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
After reading that Guardian link Opus111 posted the first thing that ran through my mind was OJ

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Maybe OJ can help him find the real killer.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
-- This guy's going to jail for the rest of his Earth life, end of the line!
He's a cold blood murderer! ...He lost it big time!

The PC thing to say id that he's innocent until proven guilty. This however will be the crux of the case,no doubt the detective on the case is astronomically incompetent .... but this I am quoting the article Opus linked to, is damning:
Pistorius, 26, had said in an affidavit read in court on Tuesday that he and his girlfriend had gone to bed on 13 February and that when he awoke in the early hours of the morning he detected what he thought was an intruder in the bathroom.

He testified that he grabbed his 9mm pistol and fired into the door of a toilet enclosed in the bathroom, only to discover later that Steenkamp was there, mortally wounded.

He may go free stranger things have happened . It may not be easy since a jury may not be around to be persuaded by histrionics or spiels ... In my humble book of opinions I side with Rockitman (Wild speculation here , no proof, nothing!:b ) .. She was leaving him or at the very least there were some disputes .. Rage, then destruction of two lives: Hers and his. He will never. again, be the "Blade Runner" rather, a forever suspect in the court of public opinion.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
He will need those blades in prison in order to run away from the other inmates who will want to play "hide the salami" in the shower with him.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The PC thing to say id that he's innocent until proven guilty. This however will be the crux of the case,no doubt the detective on the case is astronomically incompetent .... but this I am quoting the article Opus linked to, is damning:

He may go free stranger things have happened . It may not be easy since a jury may not be around to be persuaded by histrionics or spiels ... In my humble book of opinions I side with Rockitman (Wild speculation here , no proof, nothing!:b ) .. She was leaving him or at the very least there were some disputes .. Rage, then destruction of two lives: Hers and his. He will never. again, be the "Blade Runner" rather, a forever suspect in the court of public opinion.

Hi Frantz,

First, thx for your "enthusiastic" support. ...I love people with enthusiasm. :b

And last, time, again, will prove me right. ;)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I wonder in the unlikely case his story is true, if his liquidation of the alleged burgler would technically qualify as murder under South African legal standards.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing