I need some advice ordering a Golden gate lampizator

there appear to be a few options

single ended or balanced

in SE you have a choice of tubes not balanced 101 D only

although my system is balanced the distributor recommends SE

this will give me more tube options

I mainly listened to classical with a little jazz

Is 101D the way to go

as most of my if not all cd and dsd is on computer should i ask for other options i don't you a server

thanks

Andrew

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
http://lampizator.eu/Fikus/TRUE_BALANCED_DSD_DAC.html

You can do more than 101d with Balanced:

All DHT DACs are now available as balanced: with 4 output triodes and 4 output caps.
That applies to the Golden Gate, The Big 7 and the Lite 7 .
The compatible tubes are: 101D and 45/245/345.
NO 2A3 or 300B are approved

You MUST have matched quads though, as it is FULLY internally balanced. You can do Psvane WE replica 101ds (standard in the GG) and you can get a quad of EML 45 - Mesh plate DHTs for a very different presentation. Also, not that the rectis can be rolled too and the combo of recti and DHT make a huge difference to the final sound. Thus you still have tons of permutations to play with in the Balanced. You only really lose 300b/2a3 and perhaps 6a3 rolling options. The expensive Elrog 300b is a favourite of the high rollers, but so are the EML anniversary 45 globes and the regular EML mesh plate 45 tube.

If the rest of your system is fully balanced (no faux-balance, but REALLY fully internally balanced) then the Balanced Dac is the better option. If any element is SE, then you are better off getting the SE Dac.

No other option obvious, unless you are a Headphone guy and would like Headphone out plugs up front. That would enable you to drive low to moderately demanding Phones, like Senn HD800. My stong advice though is to get an Uptone Audio Regen device. Back-ordered to July, but worth it. To step that up, you could replace the supplied quality SMPS with a quaility Linear PS of 7v to 12v and circa 1 amp current rating. Hynes SR3-12 would work fine for the GG.

Congrats on your imminent GG.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thing is, you will never be able to get the original WE 101Ds in a matched pair of quads. That said, I love 101Ds for classical and if your entire system is balanced get the balanced - unless you willing to change you pre and power.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
http://lampizator.eu/Fikus/TRUE_BALANCED_DSD_DAC.html

You can do more than 101d with Balanced:

All DHT DACs are now available as balanced: with 4 output triodes and 4 output caps.
That applies to the Golden Gate, The Big 7 and the Lite 7 .
The compatible tubes are: 101D and 45/245/345.
NO 2A3 or 300B are approved

You MUST have matched quads though, as it is FULLY internally balanced. You can do Psvane WE replica 101ds (standard in the GG) and you can get a quad of EML 45 - Mesh plate DHTs for a very different presentation. Also, not that the rectis can be rolled too and the combo of recti and DHT make a huge difference to the final sound. Thus you still have tons of permutations to play with in the Balanced. You only really lose 300b/2a3 and perhaps 6a3 rolling options. The expensive Elrog 300b is a favourite of the high rollers, but so are the EML anniversary 45 globes and the regular EML mesh plate 45 tube.

If the rest of your system is fully balanced (no faux-balance, but REALLY fully internally balanced) then the Balanced Dac is the better option. If any element is SE, then you are better off getting the SE Dac.

No other option obvious, unless you are a Headphone guy and would like Headphone out plugs up front. That would enable you to drive low to moderately demanding Phones, like Senn HD800. My stong advice though is to get an Uptone Audio Regen device. Back-ordered to July, but worth it. To step that up, you could replace the supplied quality SMPS with a quaility Linear PS of 7v to 12v and circa 1 amp current rating. Hynes SR3-12 would work fine for the GG.

Congrats on your imminent GG.

Hi Norman,

This is an excellent post. I was corresponding with Cyrill Hammer of Soulution and he told me that my Soulution 520 Preamp is unbalanced, even through the XLR connections. So based on what you're saying, it would be better to go with a single-ended GG/B7 in my system? If this is the case, what would you think about me requesting additional XLR outputs on the GG/B7? I prefer the XLR connection to the RCA. I believe the all aluminum chassis Big 7 in the photo had this setup.

Thanks,
Ken

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Ken,

It should be no problem to have the SE B7 with either or both AES/EBU digital input and XLR output as options, and I would certainly agree with that choice. These input/output do not mean internally balanced.

Get the Regen though…it will be worth it.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Ken,

It should be no problem to have the SE B7 with either or both AES/EBU digital input and XLR output as options, and I would certainly agree with that choice. These input/output do not mean internally balanced.

I had usb upton regen with PS by Teddy Pardo on loan from Elberoth. Very often I agree with you wisnon, but not this time though. I sended it back without regret.
Of course the result will depend very much on specific setup esp the quality of transport .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had usb upton regen with PS by Teddy Pardo on loan from Elberoth. Very often I agree with you wisnon, but not this time though. I sended it back without regret.
Of course the result will depend very much on specific setup esp the quality of transport .

Mariusz, there is another owner of the B7 who says the same thing. And he has a quality transport. I haven't opened mine yet though I have it.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I tried upton with both La Fontaine and Lampi B7 , the integration with the latter was a bit better but still not convincing.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Ken,

Thanks Norman!

Ken

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As far as I am concerned, the biggest updates to the Lampi come from the Shun Mook diamond resonators (try the ultra, used price around 600 USD) under it, a good power cable. Then good ICs. I have also introduced the UK distributor and Rob (rjs here), and Audiophile Bill to those mook resonators and they loved it, and the Mook valve resonators make subtle but positive differences.

Tubes make a helluva difference of course, but almost all of us are playing with cheap gear here, so remember that most of the Lampi reviews you read are with tubes nowhere near the original WE 101D or 300b

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes, more and more positive remarks about Shun Mook with Lampi.

BTW, Ido have a (tested) weak pair of original WE 101d...ST shape, no globe. They work perfectly well in the Lampi!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, more and more positive remarks about Shun Mook with Lampi.

BTW, Ido have a (tested) weak pair of original WE 101d...ST shape, no globe. They work perfectly well in the Lampi!

Can it also use 205d, or 101F?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful advice

This is what I love about this site

Honest answers from people with real experience with the devices

At this stage going to go SE as more options for tube rolling

add XLR output jacks ( as I have more top quality xlr than rca ICs)

And aes input if no I2S input available as I like to AD covert somethings

Kind regards

to all

Andrew

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
HI Andrew, this is what I am worried about and you need to verify. If you connect RCA from Lampi to RCA of your pre or power, it is SE to SE.

However, just because you have XLR jacks on your Lampi, the Lampi is still SE, while the XLR at the other end is going to the balanced of the pre or power. It might not work as well, but you can confirm.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes agreed

it is impedance issue as balanced is different

my system is fully balanced everywhere

i will get rca to rca, but would like option of xlr to xlr in case works as i have great xlr ics

does that make sense

thanks for your interest and concern :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
yes makes sense

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Can it also use 205d, or 101F?

If the pinout is the same as the others and the volts times amps is less than 6.5 watts. 300b/2A3 setting!

45 setting for 4.5watts and below.

VT52s work in the B7 and that is pushing the upper limit.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes agreed

it is impedance issue as balanced is different

my system is fully balanced everywhere

i will get rca to rca, but would like option of xlr to xlr in case works as i have great xlr ics

does that make sense

thanks for your interest and concern :)

If your system is fully balanced, then get the BALANCED Dac. You will still have a huge permutation of tube rolls. DHTs can be EML Anniv Globe 45, mesh plate 45, 245, 345, UX301, 101d, WE 275a (vintage , cheapo or WE replica) and quite possibly 6a3 will work too. Then you also have the choice of ALL the 5v rectis, ie 5y3,5u4g,5r4,54r,gz34,gz37, type 80, typ3 83v, 5V4, WE 422, U52, etc.

Bear in mind that its the combo of recti and output DHT that determines the sound and is the greatest manner in which fine tuning takes place. You will have more than enough permutations to keep you busy. Recall that with the Bal Dac, you need matched quads so NOS wont likely be a viable option, you will need new production DHT output tubes. I am hearing great things about the EML mesh plate 45s and will get a pair today for myself to try. A quad of those will be below $1,000, so not outrageous and as you likely know...DHTs in the Dac will last FOREVER or close enough to it.

SE Dac in a fully balanced chain is sub-optimal, to put it mildly. However, if any other element in the chain is really SE, then U should get the SE Dac.

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks

Great advice Wisnon

really appreciate it :)

So you think with 45s i won't miss choice of elrog 300s by going balanced?

Andrew

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
On a related point..

are photos on lampizator site of balanced dac photo shopped

i noted the second set of output tubes have no heat ventilation holes around them making it seem ...erm...unbalanced....can this be right?

does anyone have a picture of an actual balanced dac to check?

thx

A

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing