Optical cable polarity

b345t

May 10, 2020
Hi, I have recently purchased an MSB Premier, a really great DAC..Prior to this I have never used an optical cable in my system and noticed what I believe to be polarity labels, with 'A and B' on each side of cable. I also checked the inputs on the optical side on the Pro usb module, as well as the optical input in the module inside the DAC and there are two different colours, Yellow and Black.

What is the correct way to connect the cable? Thanks!

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Connect it and see if you get link. If you get link the polarity is correct. A LC connector can only plug in one way. You should get link. If you don’t you can switch the polarity by removing the plastic piece which holds the two simplex connectors together and reverse them (on one end only).

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
A million years ago, I had an Audio Synthesis transport and decade which relied upon a bespoke dual st (glass) lead interface. There was definitely an audible directionality to the cables, which you should experiment to find your preference. I was also recommended the Aural Symphonics ioGel to apply to the glass cable ends and this was very worthwhile in reducing glare and making the presentation more solid.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
A million years ago, I had an Audio Synthesis transport and decade which relied upon a bespoke dual st (glass) lead interface. There was definitely an audible directionality to the cables, which you should experiment to find your preference. I was also recommended the Aural Symphonics ioGel to apply to the glass cable ends and this was very worthwhile in reducing glare and making the presentation more solid.

Impossible. Polarity can only be one way or there will be no functioning link. In a duplex fiber configuration the transceiver Tx on one side needs to mate with the transceiver Rx from the other side.

The video also shows how to change polarity as I mentioned above by removing the clip and reversing the connectors. Again, this should not be needed under normal circumstances and the link is only going to work one way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing