Octave HP 300 MK2 Preamp

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
Well i may be spending a little more on my main system. I am currently running the Sugden MPA-4 mono blocks with the Sugden LA-4 preamp. I am happy with the sound. I have come to be enlightened that the Octave HP300 MKW would take my system to an entirely different level. At $10,000.00 the Octave is a very enticing piece of gear, and all the reviews are outstanding.

Does anyone here have first hand knowledge of this Preamp? My dealer brought one in for a customer and tried it on his system, he was blown away. I am trying to line up a Demo at this customers house if he will be willing.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have tried the Mk I version, the HP300 SE, and thought it was excellent. I ended up with a HP 700SE that I still totally love after four years (and that's not expected to change), but the 300 SE was no slouch either.

In my system both preamps were/are a natural match with my Octave RE 320 power amp. Unfortunately, as extensive preamp auditions in a friend's system have shown, mixing preamp and power amp brands can be hit and miss, with not always predictable results due to some synergy issues, which neither of us can really explain. Therefore, auditioning in your own system, or at the dealer with your own Sugden mono blocks, is mandatory.

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
Thank you for the reply. I agree with you on the in home demo. My La-4 pre amp is designed to work with my amps, I should maybe leave well enough alone.

321Bach

Jan 23, 2022
Well i may be spending a little more on my main system. I am currently running the Sugden MPA-4 mono blocks with the Sugden LA-4 preamp. I am happy with the sound. I have come to be enlightened that the Octave HP300 MKW would take my system to an entirely different level. At $10,000.00 the Octave is a very enticing piece of gear, and all the reviews are outstanding.

Does anyone here have first hand knowledge of this Preamp? My dealer brought one in for a customer and tried it on his system, he was blown away. I am trying to line up a Demo at this customers house if he will be willing.
I have used their latest version. It was an amazing amp for no doubt!

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
I just wanted to add a small positive comment on Octave. I have not heard the 300 but I have owned the Octave 500 SE preamplifier for 13 years now. It has been a great unit. Great sound with outstanding timbres, natural sound, wide and deep soundstage with lots of air between the instruments and killer dynamics. The phono that came with the preamp was also very good and encompassed many settings for fine tuning internally. No need for external phono for 95% of the audiophiles. It was paired mainly with a Vitus SS-101 mk 1 power amp, B&W 801 S3 Matrix and the Ypsilon DAC-100. I have also listened to their small stereo amplifiers and they're also superior to their competition, at the specific price level. Definitely a top choice for a small system or a second system. The quality of the Octave products is top notch as well. I never had a problem and the same holds true for my friends' units. Finally, worth noting, is that a few times that I had questions on the preamp, the response was immediate and to the point from the manufacturer. Highly recommended.

Reactions: hogen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing