Objectivist ribeye steak

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
i'd love to get a machine--pricy little bugger (600) and takes up loads of counter space.

but the benefits seem so obvious to me and all the cooking shows i've watched over the years. just seals in flavor so nicely and you don't overcook at all.

sous vide pork tenderloin is sooo good

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
There is no problem putting food from the fridge or freezer directly into the SV machine. As long as it is bagged up and watertight it should be OK.
Thanks.

And another thing ... uncooked meat should NEVER be frozen. The exception is when there is no choice to freeze meat - e.g. tuna or prawns - and even then the meat should be frozen in a commercial freezer. Home freezers damage meat during the freezing process.
I know, I know..... *holds head down* I was thinking that by using this technique and recipes put together by me, sealed and ready to go.....perhaps my wife would be able to put the prepackaged meals in at breakfast or lunchtime and be ready for both her and my son on those nights I'm not here.

Tom1356

Oct 16, 2011
I bought the SideKIC about a week ago. Wasn't crazy about the broccoli but It was my first time so user error was the likely problem.
Made Chicken Cordon Bleu that came out great.

Tonight I am making Delmonico's.

It's a very cool gadget.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
One other thing that chefs do to even out the cooking is take the meat out for a period of time before cooking so as to allow the center of the meat to come up to the same temp as the outside.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
One other thing that chefs do to even out the cooking is take the meat out for a period of time before cooking so as to allow the center of the meat to come up to the same temp as the outside.

Totally...do not take steak out of the fridge and throw it on the pan. Cooks unevenly.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

One doesn't need to be a chef to come to that conclusion, although it surprises me still how many people slap a cold piece of beef on a hot grill. Then they wonder why that perfectly timed med-rare steak isn't actually med-rare.

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI

Myles,
By that method the meat can only come to room temperature and it's going to take it's sweet old time getting there. That leaves quite a ways to go to reach even "rare." If you don't want to go SV, an alternate method recommended by Cook's Illustrated is to put the meat in a 250-degree oven until its internal temperature is 95 degrees. Then finish with a hot sear as suggested in this thread.

New York Times published a recipe for Ashkinaze Rub a couple weeks ago. Quite delicious.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Myles,
By that method the meat can only come to room temperature and it's going to take it's sweet old time getting there. That leaves quite a ways to go to reach even "rare." If you don't want to go SV, an alternate method recommended by Cook's Illustrated is to put the meat in a 250-degree oven until its internal temperature is 95 degrees. Then finish with a hot sear as suggested in this thread.

New York Times published a recipe for Ashkinaze Rub a couple weeks ago. Quite delicious.

Enlighten me please. What would be the internal temp of a steak left at room temperature for say 30 minutes.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Best steaks my wife and I have ever had.

You must try this method.

Are you referring to Allen Bros. and this method ? I have never tried the slow & low cook then sear method. I have two Allen's 22 oz. dry-aged Porterhouses ready to try with this new method.

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
Enlighten me please. What would be the internal temp of a steak left at room temperature for say 30 minutes.

Hard to say. But ... in the interest of objectivism I picked up a ribeye on the way home this evening (my lovely wife had a business dinner, leaving me alone to conduct science).

From the butcher's cooler and sporting olive oil and the NYT Ashkinaze rub, the steak went into a 250-degree oven at a brick-like internal temperature of 49 degrees. In less than 15 minutes, it came out at a supple 95 degrees, then transferred quickly (STAT!) to a blazing infrared grill for a 2-minute/side sear. Results? Meat perfectly rare, the brown sugar in the rub beautifully carmelized.

Technique aside, you really need to try this rub.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com

This will vary according to the thickness of the steak, the ambient room temperature, and the nature of the surface the steak is resting on.

In any case, cooking steak from room temperature ONLY matters when you are cooking it via a single stage high heat method. This is because the delta-T between the interior of the steak and the surface is higher - it will take longer to bring it up to temperature. If it is a thick cut of steak, chances are the surface will be burnt and more of the steak will be overcooked before the interior is cooked. With a two stage cooking method (as I described in my first post) - you do not need to worry about starting cooking from the fridge. Yes it prolongs cooking time, but that's not really an issue. Chances are, the meat won't be overcooked because of the low delta-T.

Just FYI, this is what a steak cooked over high heat looks like. Note the thick rim of overcooked steak giving way to medium rare in the center. Also note the decorative stripes on the steak. IMO these stripes are a waste, because the potential for the Maillard reaction has not been maximized. I want the WHOLE surface of the steak to be caramelized, not just the bits that have touched the pan.

This is what a steak cooked over low heat looks like. Note that the meat is evenly set from surface to surface. Medium rare throughout, with only a very thin rim of overcooked meat just under the surface. THIS is what you achieve with the method I described in the first post.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing