Noteworthy attempts to advance level of audio reproduction

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Recent discussions here prompt the question - what do you feel are noteworthy attempts to solve audio problems and/or represent key moves by industry participants worth penning down. Does not have to be a commercial success, just commendable efforts. While I belong to the camp that believe there has been no notable advancements in audio reproductions in the past decades and am consequently drawn to vintage, there are still a few noteworthy moves by manufacturers IMO...

Reactions: bonzo75

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
1. B&O Beolab 90

I recalled first time listening to the pair when they first came out and was very impressed. I think it truly represented some out of the box thinking and the execution was commendable. However, I did not know how it will sound in my room and was not willing to bet, so........ I convinced my friend to buy a pair instead lol Well he did just that and today I still haven't parted way with my $$$...

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
2. Korg Nutube 6P1 Dual Triode

Triode using vacuum fluorescent. A dear friend tried it and was not impressed with the sound. Commendable effort nevertheless....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree BACCH, and also surround sound like Atmos and Auro 3d (made for movies but used for audio) are attempts to do something different from the well established stereo channels.

Streaming too is a new thing to add to the musical experience, as is any good small speaker

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
2. Korg Nutube 6P1 Dual Triode

Triode using vacuum fluorescent. A dear friend tried it and was not impressed with the sound. Commendable effort nevertheless....

Commendable effort for what? To parody tubes? It's just a silly gimmick.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Recent discussions here prompt the question - what do you feel are noteworthy attempts to solve audio problems and/or represent key moves by industry participants worth penning down. Does not have to be a commercial success, just commendable efforts. While I belong to the camp that believe there has been no notable advancements in audio reproductions in the past decades and am consequently drawn to vintage, there are still a few noteworthy moves by manufacturers IMO...

dCS ring dac

KEF Meta technology

Wilson V material

Magico honeycomb drivers

Ethernet switch by Ansuz

Shunyata Altaira grounding system

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Here is an innovative product that no one has heard :)

I use the current version, the above is the same principle with some significant improvements.

It does away with preamplification and amplification!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Link

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Metamaterial approach to absorption has validity and is getting traction. Not only for backwave of tweeters but even for bass absorption.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Metamaterial approach to absorption has validity and is getting traction. Not only for backwave of tweeters but even for bass absorption.

There are also applications for soundproofing:

Reactions: Tim Link and Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing