Norah Jones

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I was lucky, but that was more than could be said for the majority of guys. Married guys all had calendars with their APCD date circled. I'll let you figure out exactly what that stands for. What it meant was the last day they could go downtown, get laid, find out they got the clap, get their shots, get cured, and make it home to their wife. Needless to say, some guys violated their APCD and had some 'splaining to do when they got home. And no, for the curious-minded, I wasn't married when I was in the military.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
What 'tables were members here using in the '80's?

Well Tempered table and arm, various cartridges, including Grado Reference and high output Van de Hul.
The WTT was pretty heavily tweaked over the years. It was a good table, and huge bang for the buck (and the design concept, particularly the arm, was significant), but I don't think it would stand up to today's best tables.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center

70's,

Garrard, thorens, dual , AR, Linn, Technics, Kenwood, luxman , rega

80's
Micro seiki , Sota, Mitchell, VPI..

Digital cloud took over by mid eighties , brought my analog purchases to a halt , even today , i just maintain what i had before , updating when necessary or warrantied ...

Regards ,

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Well Tempered table and arm, various cartridges, starting including Grado Reference and high output Van de Hul.
The WTT was pretty heavily tweaked over the years. It was a good table, and huge bang for the buck (and the design concept, particularly the arm, was significant), but I don't think it would stand up to today's best tables.

I did become a GRADO fan in 1980 , always had one since ...!!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Rega 3 with JVC 7045 arm and either Grace F9E or Audioquest 404 cartridges.

Linn LP-12 Valhalla with Grace 707, Linn Basik and later ET arm and (?) Audioquest cartridges.

VPI HW-19 with tricked out ET arm and (?) Carnegie Model 1, Benz MC3, or Audioquest 7000 (an early Scantech/Lyra design)

(sure am blurring 80-90s here) cartridges

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I will list in random order - I hope I do not miss more than 20% :)

Technics SL1500 (SP10 mk2 in the middle 2000's)
Thorens TD145 , TD160, TD125 and TD126 (the TD124 was also only in the 2000's)
Systemdeck
Arsiton RD80
Linn Sondek
Oracle Delphi
Rega3
Pink Triangle PT Too (trying to sell it currently ...)
Lenco L....

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
What speakers during that era ...?
Quad ESLs, from around 1973 on, with, over time, various woofers, super tweeters (Decca Ribbons, Sequerras), eventually went to Crosby Quad 63's. I only stopped using electrostats in 2005-6, when i switched to horns.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Modded DQ10s followed by modded Magnepan MG3As.

Redonculous ....:)

Very similar path , DQ 10's with subs, ESL57's and later acoustats .....my time with the DQ10 is what later got me into speaker designing ...

At the time the best system for me was the Levinson HQD setup , via Peter McGrath's master tapes , you know , similar to the "New" tape trend today...:)

Regards,

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Quad ESLs, from around 1973 on, with, over time, various woofers, super tweeters (Decca Ribbons, Sequerras), eventually went to Crosby Quad 63's. I only stopped using electrostats in 2005-6, when i switched to horns.

What horns are you currently using ...?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Redonculous ....:)

Very similar path , DQ 10's with subs, ESL57's and later acoustats .....my time with the DQ10 is what later got me into speaker designing ...

At the time the best system for me was the Levinson HQD setup , via Peter McGrath's master tapes , you know , similar to the "New" tape trend today...:)

Regards,

Any speakers might recognize? :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
What horns are you currently using ...?

Avantgarde Duos, with custom cable loom from Kubala, running off of a pair of Lamm ML2s. Very synergistic.
BTW, one of the things on my list is to set up a modern version of the HQD system. Lot's of stuff that needs to be restored to do that, including my pair of ESLs and my Decca Ribbons.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing