Nitty Gritty 2.5 Fi RCM

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We have threads on all of the really expensive and surely outstanding RCM's, so I thought starting a thread on one that kind of sits in the middle of the Klaudio, Audiodesk et al and the most basic, yet fairly effective Spin-Clean unit. No matter which RCM one owns, the important thing is that you take cleaning vinyl old and new as serious business.

To get my LP's as clean as possible I'm going to give them an initial manual cleaning with the Spin-Clean and then run them through the NG. I'm also going to try various solutions, including the NG solution and the MoFi Superwash that was recommended several times. I might even try my own solution of 75% distilled water, 25% Isopropyl Alcohol with a drop or 2 of Dawn (clear) dish soap. Since I hear that RCM's potentially add static to LP's I'll be investing in a ZeroStat shortly.

I need some information on Enzyme solutions and why I would need that. Also, where in the cleaning chain do I use it? Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I'm a bit confused as to its purpose.

I've also devised my own little method of identifying LP's that have been cleaned, and I use small removable round stickers in two colours (Yellow for a Spin-Clean wash and Red for a NG wash). I stick them on the top right corner of the back cover.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I've owned various Nitty Gritty RCMs for over 20 years, and devised a better way of cleaning than what's recommended in the Owner's Manual. It's a long, drawn-out process, but I think worth doing:

You need one Nitty Gritty RCM and two Nitty Gritty record-cleaning brushes.

1) Put the dirty record on the machine (I usually start with Side B up) and drizzle the top with enzymatic cleaner.

2) Use the first Nitty Gritty brush to thoroughly scrub and the top using circular strokes. Really work the fluid into the grooves.

3) Flip the record over so that the wet side faces down.

4) Drizzle the other side (usually Side A now) with enzymatic cleaner, and work the fluid into the grooves.

5) Start up the vacuum and rotate to clean up the liquid on Side B. At the same time, hold the record-cleaning brush on the top side (Side A) over the vacuum slot to further clean Side A.

6) When Side B is dry, flip the album over. Drizzle Side B with standard record-cleaning solution (I used the Disco Antistat from Germany because we had many gallons of it from a failed attempt to import the stuff.)

7) While rotating and vacuum drying Side A, use the second Nitty Gritty brush to agitate and work the fluid into Side B.

8) When Side A is dry, flip the album over, drizzle Side A with the standard record-cleaning solution.

9) While rotating and vacuum drying Side B, work the fluid into Side A.

10) Flip the album over, and now dry Side A.

If you are really obsessed, take 4 more steps with distilled water to make sure that there is no trace of the standard record-cleaning solution left.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I've owned various Nitty Gritty RCMs for over 20 years, and devised a better way of cleaning than what's recommended in the Owner's Manual. It's a long, drawn-out process, but I think worth doing:

You need one Nitty Gritty RCM and two Nitty Gritty record-cleaning brushes.

1) Put the dirty record on the machine (I usually start with Side B up) and drizzle the top with enzymatic cleaner.

2) Use the first Nitty Gritty brush to thoroughly scrub and the top using circular strokes. Really work the fluid into the grooves.

3) Flip the record over so that the wet side faces down.

4) Drizzle the other side (usually Side A now) with enzymatic cleaner, and work the fluid into the grooves.

5) Start up the vacuum and rotate to clean up the liquid on Side B. At the same time, hold the record-cleaning brush on the top side (Side A) over the vacuum slot to further clean Side A.

6) When Side B is dry, flip the album over. Drizzle Side B with standard record-cleaning solution (I used the Disco Antistat from Germany because we had many gallons of it from a failed attempt to import the stuff.)

7) While rotating and vacuum drying Side A, use the second Nitty Gritty brush to agitate and work the fluid into Side B.

8) When Side A is dry, flip the album over, drizzle Side A with the standard record-cleaning solution.

9) While rotating and vacuum drying Side B, work the fluid into Side A.

10) Flip the album over, and now dry Side A.

If you are really obsessed, take 4 more steps with distilled water to make sure that there is no trace of the standard record-cleaning solution left.

Shew. I was worn out by step #5!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Gary (I think):p! Holy crap...I just want to clean some records........phew!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
When I used the VPI as my main machine, I was doing a similar thing - 4 steps- using Walker Fluids, one of which (step #3) is reagent water. Now, with the Audio Desk, I don't have to go through all that, but still do, on occasion, for used records that really need it. I pre-clean using the Walker fluids/VPI, then pop into the Audio Desk. Thankfully, I don't have to do that for all my records.
On the 'what fluid' question, John, I think there are a variety out there AIVS, MoFi, the Walker stuff I've been using (I haven't compared it to the other brands, just force of habit). I think Myles compared them a while ago, dunno if he has done any recent comparos on fluids. The lab water you can buy in industrial quantities from a science supply house, but in the U.S., they won't ship to residential addresses, under law, given that everybody here is apparently cooking meth or something, as far as the government is concerned. :)
PS: in terms of sequence, at least with the Walker stuff, I'd first dry brush the record with an anti-static brush to get the surface stuff off, then enzyme, scrub lightly, let soak, vacuum, then cleaning fluid, let soak a little then vacuum, water, vacuum, then 'finishing rinse' and vacuum. Then flip. Use a separate applicator for each step.

PPS: there are white papers/whatever about the chemistry, theoretically, the enzyme can break up the bond made between the crap on the record, thus it will better loosen and allow you to vacuum up stuff that is buried in the grooves.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I had a NG 2.5 for many years, being a platter-less design I never brushed fluid on the record while rotating in the machine, I set-up a cleaning station working over a large surface like a dining rm table and terry cloth bath towel. you could wet brush the Lp much more effectively this way, I like to use an enzyme fluid on the first pass. the 2.5 was used in the final step to rehydrate the record with normal cleaning fluid from the RCM's hand pump/internal reservoir and then vacuum off.

the one downside to the NG machines was the top surface would become a 'sink' for the vacuum motor and radiate enough heat to bow a record after less than an hour of continuous use (not good).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We have threads on all of the really expensive and surely outstanding RCM's, so I thought starting a thread on one that kind of sits in the middle of the Klaudio, Audiodesk et al and the most basic, yet fairly effective Spin-Clean unit. No matter which RCM one owns, the important thing is that you take cleaning vinyl old and new as serious business.

To get my LP's as clean as possible I'm going to give them an initial manual cleaning with the Spin-Clean and then run them through the NG. I'm also going to try various solutions, including the NG solution and the MoFi Superwash that was recommended several times. I might even try my own solution of 75% distilled water, 25% Isopropyl Alcohol with a drop or 2 of Dawn (clear) dish soap. Since I hear that RCM's potentially add static to LP's I'll be investing in a ZeroStat shortly.

I need some information on Enzyme solutions and why I would need that. Also, where in the cleaning chain do I use it? Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I'm a bit confused as to its purpose.

I've also devised my own little method of identifying LP's that have been cleaned, and I use small removable round stickers in two colours (Yellow for a Spin-Clean wash and Red for a NG wash). I stick them on the top right corner of the back cover.

The two best fluids that I've tried (and I've gotten pretty much all of them) are the AVIS #15 w/water wash and the MOFI Enzyme cleaner also with record wash. The ones you mentioned were good ten years ago but like the earlier gen of RCF, their sonic siggies became more apparent with time.

What I do is coat the record with the cleaning fluid and then brush it for say 15 secs. I let it sit on the LP for a minute or two, then reagitate the fluid to help in cleaning and avoid the fluid drying out on the LP. That can be repeated one or two more times; after five minutes, I vacuum the fluid off. Now you can either repeat the procedure once more or using another brush, reapply the ultrapure water, brush and then vacuum again.

Brushes also make a difference. I'm on the fence as to whether bristles or a soft applicator are better here. Currently, I'm leaning toward the MOFI brushes simply because I think they conform more to the groove and get into the groove better than strict bristles. But I have no evidence to back up my hypothesis.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
When I owned the NG 1.5 fi I kept it simple on new records.

NG Pure 2 in the liquid dispenser. I never had any static issues using the pure2. Excellent stuff.

Press the button to apply the pure 2

Put my industrial ear muffs on.

Press the vacuum button.

Finished :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
When I owned the NG 1.5 fi I kept it simple on new records.

NG Pure 2 in the liquid dispenser. I never had any static issues using the pure2. Excellent stuff.

Press the button to apply the pure 2

Put my industrial ear muffs on.

Press the vacuum button.

Finished :D

I think this is where I'll start. I'm not obsessed enough to go through the process 3-4-5-times.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I think this is where I'll start. I'm not obsessed enough to go through the process 3-4-5-times.

I am as AROCD as the next guy but imo it does not need all the additional steps to clean new vinyl. Nor do you need expensive inner sleeves.
Enjoy Johnny as a RCM is well worth it.

Cheers

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Finally received the Enzyme fluid and brush I ordered, although it wasn't the NG stuff. They were out of stock and suggested the MoFi Enzyme and brush. I said ok. They gave me a credit (thanks).

Have cleaned about a half-dozen records and first impressions are quite favourable. I cleaned LP's that I was thoroughly familiar with as I wanted to try and gauge the improvement, if any were to be found. And there were. Sound seems more open and clearer. Noticed a slight noise reduction on some of the lead-in grooves with some.

These are just first impressions, but I feel wonderful about the purchase so far. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Finally received the Enzyme fluid and brush I ordered, although it wasn't the NG stuff. They were out of stock and suggested the MoFi Enzyme and brush. I said ok. They gave me a credit (thanks).

Have cleaned about a half-dozen records and first impressions are quite favourable. I cleaned LP's that I was thoroughly familiar with as I wanted to try and gauge the improvement, if any were to be found. And there were. Sound seems more open and clearer. Noticed a slight noise reduction on some of the lead-in grooves with some.

These are just first impressions, but I feel wonderful about the purchase so far. :)

Listen to instruments in the back of the stage and the ability to see them in the mind's eye.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
john are you still using the Spin Clean as part of your cleaning regime, for rinse, in combo with the NG machine?
I use the MoFi brush and like it. Only downside, it does absorb some amount of the liquid so you use a bit more.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I salvaged an old Blue Note gem last night. The seller listed it as "professionally cleaned" in the Ebay ad, and I believe it was cleaned since it was spotless visually. But played with some lite crackle. Did Vinylzyme/DD Miracle/de-ionized h20 on my 16.5 and this now plays true near mint :)

It's Tyrone Washington's Natural Essence, cut by Mr Van Gelder. Not a rare record, but really fantastic musically. I would love to see this reissued by Music Matters.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
john are you still using the Spin Clean as part of your cleaning regime, for rinse, in combo with the NG machine?
I use the MoFi brush and like it. Only downside, it does absorb some amount of the liquid so you use a bit more.

I haven't so far as I just wanted to play around with the machine itself, but yes that is the intention. Give the LP a rinse with the Spin Clean using only distilled water and then another vacuum with the NG.

I'm just using the Mofi brush to remove dust before each play.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I salvaged an old Blue Note gem last night. The seller listed it as "professionally cleaned" in the Ebay ad, and I believe it was cleaned since it was spotless visually. But played with some lite crackle. Did Vinylzyme/DD Miracle/de-ionized h20 on my 16.5 and this now plays true near mint :)

It's Tyrone Washington's Natural Essence, cut by Mr Van Gelder. Not a rare record, but really fantastic musically. I would love to see this reissued by Music Matters.

Isn't it great when cleaning works! Brings a smile to one's face! :)

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Isn't it great when cleaning works! Brings a smile to one's face! :)

Absolutely. Especially since my Ebay hot streak was broken with 3 misgraded records. This one did put a smile on my face.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I haven't so far as I just wanted to play around with the machine itself, but yes that is the intention. Give the LP a rinse with the Spin Clean using only distilled water and then another vacuum with the NG.

I'm just using the Mofi brush to remove dust before each play.
If we are talking about the same MoFi brush, I have never used mine as a dry brush- I use a carbon fiber anti-static brush to clean off surface detritus, and the MoFi is one of several different applicators I use for wet cleaning. Is the MoFi designed for dry cleaning?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If we are talking about the same MoFi brush, I have never used mine as a dry brush- I use a carbon fiber anti-static brush to clean off surface detritus, and the MoFi is one of several different applicators I use for wet cleaning. Is the MoFi designed for dry cleaning?

According to MoFi yes. It can be used for wet and dry applications. I'm not sure I like it though as it's about 1" shorter than my Goldring Super Exstatic brush, and doesn't cover the LP properly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing