Nikon D800 - It's Finally Here

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Bob,

Would love to see some un-post-processed hardcore test shots when you get the chance. Still clinging to my D700 and to be honest I'm not tempted to change bodies at all.

Will do Jack, though won't happen immediately.

BTW and OT:

Here's a short action film I shot on the RED (mostly the older version which rates at 160 or so under tungsten), the bulk at very low lighting levels. In the main location, ambience was at 5-7 fc. It's been trimmed down some from the cut here which is good. With an excellent prod co. now being developed as a feature -- we'll see:

https://vimeo.com/39649171

should point out it's very violent, so avoid if that will offend

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Will do Jack, though won't happen immediately.

BTW and OT:

Here's a short action film I shot on the RED (mostly the older version which rates at 160 or so under tungsten), the bulk at very low lighting levels. In the main location, ambience was at 5-7 fc. It's been trimmed down some from the cut here which is good. With an excellent prod co. now being developed as a feature -- we'll see:

https://vimeo.com/39649171

should point out it's very violent, so avoid if that will offend

That RED is one amazing camera. My son also uses one at work

BTW, IIRC wasn't Lance Henriksen in another of your films that you highlighted here 1-2 years ago when you asked us if we knew who he was all made up

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yep, you saw a makeup test for this film.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I really like the cold, hard feel of the lighting. Matches the story perfectly.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I really like the cold, hard feel of the lighting. Matches the story perfectly.

Glad you thought so Jack -- appreciate the comment. It's obviously what we were going for.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Loved the smoke from LH's cigarette as he left the pawnshop window. The RED's can be really crisp. Our production house has a RED Stevie but I personally haven't seen it in the flesh. I'm pretty sure Jimmy has, he's the one that had it bought.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
IIRC, there are 3 versions of the Red

Red One, Scarlet, and Epic. We used a pair of Ones with the older M chip. Slow in terms of sensitivity which made the low light shooting more challenging, but the saving grace is 3 stops under is well renderd and noise free. Ran some very specific tests to find light levels and ratios that would work for it to get the look I had in mind.

The RED's can really be crisp

Very. The bluray is obviously sharper than the for streaming version you saw. And you should have seen the 4k cut up at Fotokem where we graded it.

I don't own. Used to own a film camera and shot all over the world with it. As video took over, there really wasn't a camera to buy that made sense to me because the tech was so transitory. Now, with cams that have resolution in excess of any projection in the near future, and at least equal to 4k if/when it takes hold, I've been very tempted to buy again. BUT, I have kids and a family now, and the frequent travel that would almost certainly go with it doesnt mix well with that. Though I don't regret it, it's been a sometimes painful choice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing