Nikon D5100

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I went shopping today as the wife and I took the day off from work. We had to take the VW Passat to the dealer for an oil change and 3 recall notices so some places I wanted to shop for camera stuff were nearby. I do love to drive the Passat. It's a 2006 with the 3.6L engine and sport suspension. It also has the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. This car only has 30,000 miles on it. I digress...

So I went to a local camera store to give them a little business and I bought a tripod. I went over and eyeballed them up (the tripod-not the store help) and found the one that looked the best built to me. I didn't bother to look at the price tag because I'm not really concerned too much with the cost of a tripod. I get up to the register and the guy says that will be $171.19 please. It's made by a company called Induro which doesn't mean crap to me, but it meant something to the guy behind the counter when I remarked that I was surprised at the cost of a damn tripod. "Well, you did pick out an Induro" he said. It does come with a carry bag and an allen wrench so I'm sure that makes it worth more than a tripod with no carry bag and allen wrench.

I was also looking for the Nikon 55-300mm lens. The local expensive merchant that fleeced me on the tripod didn't have it. All he had was the 55-200mm lens. Ditto for Target. So next I went to Best Buy and they did have the lens I wanted. That was only a mere $427.99 with tax. I should have bought the lens at the same time I bought the camera and I would have saved $150. I also could have bought the lens on Fee Pay and taken my chances I wasn't getting a Counterfeit lens or a "B" stock lens. The lens I bought is the AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR. Just the length of the title of the lens probably makes it worth $427.99.

DSC_0048.jpg DSC_0049.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Good stuff Mark! I used to have a Velbon (don't know what model). Nice tripod, although I'm sure the Induro is SOTA.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks John. I just had no idea that a tripod was going to cost that much. But then, I really don't have a frame of reference for what good tripods sell for. Those pictures were taken with the Nikon D5100.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks John. I just had no idea that a tripod was going to cost that much. But then, I really don't have a frame of reference for what good tripods sell for. Those pictures were taken with the Nikon D5100.

They look very clear and detailed. Hope to see more shots as you take them and feel like posting.

Went in for a quick lesson to figure out how to set the White balance on my Canon S110. I couldn't find the setting anywhere and was so frustrated as a result. Hopefully now my pictures (mostly indoors) won't have that yellow look to them and represent whatever I'm shooting more accurately.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Been looking for a very light compact ball head tripod that's sturdy enough to handle a full frame with heavy lenses and battery pack for ages. Something that can be latched to a slingshot type bag. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So I went to a local camera store to give them a little business and I bought a tripod. I went over and eyeballed them up (the tripod-not the store help) and found the one that looked the best built to me. I didn't bother to look at the price tag because I'm not really concerned too much with the cost of a tripod. I get up to the register and the guy says that will be $171.19 please. It's made by a company called Induro which doesn't mean crap to me, but it meant something to the guy behind the counter when I remarked that I was surprised at the cost of a damn tripod. "Well, you did pick out an Induro" he said. It does come with a carry bag and an allen wrench so I'm sure that makes it worth more than a tripod with no carry bag and allen wrench.
$177 is actually pretty cheap for a tripod :). *The* high-end brand of tripods is Gitzo carbon fiber tripods. The average cost is $500. See: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Tripod-Legs/ci/7006/N/4232859869

They are extremely well built and light. The former is important as I once bought a different carbon fiber tripod. Took it on a dedicated photography trip, only to have one of the leg mechanisms jam and make the tripod completely useless!

What makes it worse is that you wind up with more than one tripod when it is all said and done. I think I have six :). I have an extremely small one I take on business trips that folds down to nothing and weighs just as much. At the other extreme I have monster ones that hold my 600 mm lens and camera. And a few in between.

On heads, the defacto technology is called "Arca Swiss." That is a name of a company but others have cloned its quick mount system. You get dedicated plates that go on all of your lenses and cameras and then you just snap them into a ball head with the other part of mount. Here is one of the top companies that make those: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Index.aspx?code=46&key=fr

The right ball head has proportional movement meaning if it is lose, it won't let the camera drop like a rock as the old ball heads did.

Next thing you know, you will have spent another $500 if not more on these accessories!

Welcome to the club Mark :).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Amir-I feel much better now that I bought a pretty cheap tripod for $171.19. I thought pretty cheap for a tripod was around $25! How do I know if I have a "ball head?" Knowing if you have a bald head is a no-brainer.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thought I'd revive this thread for 3 reasons.

1. Would love to see some more shots!
2. Did you end up getting a mic for the camera?
3. If so, was it worth it?

I'm really liking my P&S Canon Powershot S110 for it's picture taking abilities, but the audio is a major turn-off. I was getting better audio with my previous, and then, 5 yr old Canon S710 (I think that was the model). Anyway, I'm going to keep the S110, but I'm looking at the Nikon D5100 now. I'm planning for a trip to Vietnam next year and want more than just a P&S. How are you liking yours so far?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-I did buy the Nikon microphone, and no, I don't think it was worth it. There isn't much bass below 70Hz. I shot a video of my system playing music and posted it here with the new microphone. I have also posted some other pictures.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-I did buy the Nikon microphone, and no, I don't think it was worth it. There isn't much bass below 70Hz. I shot a video of my system playing music and posted it here with the new microphone. I have also posted some other pictures.

Link to the video, please? What about background noise...hiss especially. I can't get even somewhat clean audio with the S110. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing