New York Listening/Living Room

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Brian, the reclaimed wood looks terrific, esp. coupled with the brick.

Oh, and the system looks damned good, too! ;-)

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
I think a good thread would be the best subs with the Magico Q5 - i bet it would not differ too much from the M5. I know that Goodwin Audio likes to run them with the JL Audio F212. I might try that at some point, again, my issue against subs is about intruding on my neighbor one floor down.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think a good thread would be the best subs with the Magico Q5 - i bet it would not differ too much from the M5. I know that Goodwin Audio likes to run them with the JL Audio F212. I might try that at some point, again, my issue against subs is about intruding on my neighbor one floor down.

I second it. If a Q5 with a pair of matching subwoofers approaches the performance of an Alexandria it will be very good news! :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It would be great news for me as I already have the twin subs. Maybe one more per my buddy Frantz and I would be very happy.

one more and your house will need renovation!

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
It would be great news for me as I already have the twin subs. Maybe one more per my buddy Frantz and I would be very happy.
You may recall the thread I started, asking for commentary on the different approaches taken by Geddes and Harmon/Welti toward multiple sub placement. While the Geddes approach does require a minimum of 3, he also states that with 3 subs only 1 is placed in the front corner, not 2 as you currently have. As such, to adopt the Geddes approach you'd have to move one of your subs to a position probably mid way on the opposite side wall, then the 3d sub probably would go somewhere behind the row of couches. With the Harmon/Welti approach, you'd leave your 2 subs where they are, then add two more, one for each rear corner. Your room is large enough to go with either approach.

Now if you really want to pursue ultra smooth and even bass response, add 4 more, 2 for the mid-points on the side walls and 2 for the rear corners. Tony Z probably would be envious of such a room.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Ron & Steve, I just started a thread in the Debate forum that asks opinions on subwoofers for supplementation of full-range mains, and how many subwoofers may be necessary for best results. I bet it'll be a lively discussion!

Lee

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Steve,
At what frequency and slope do you cross your subs?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I cross at 43 Hz. Remember I run my X-2's full range and use the subs to bring up the bottom end. IOW I am crossing out everything above 43 Hz

Curious that it seems to overlap the bass of your X2. Do you know the slope of the crossover?

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
Ron, with the Geddes approach, what size subs does he recommend (or is it personal preference). i couldn't imagine a set of 3 Gothams, you would get knocked down walking through the room.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
brian

You asked a question in the thread about multiple subs and how many? I will answer it some in this one. You mention you had a problem at 65 Hz. First the Geddes approach does not preclude the use of different subwoofers ... They, of course need to be quality subs and with variable controls for phase, level and crossover points. I believe you are currently using JL Audio subs. The third sub in this configuration does not need t be very powerful as it is used to "fill" the holes in the FR. An image if you will.
As an experiment I would suggest to find a third sub. Leaving EVERYTHING as is presently in the system, i-e the two other subs where they are and the way they are set. You can borrow a sub from your friendly dealer, a lesser/smaller one from the JL Audio line will do. Small enough so that you can place it on the side wall on a chair for the duration of the experience. Set the crossover to something like 50 Hz and start measuring while varying the phase and the level control. You should hear very little from the subs even when close to it. You need some help and you must have a way to measure your response.
This is unusual for audiophile and 2-ch but try it and you may find that nasty problem to just disappear and your system overall sound improved by a respectable margin...No "bass response" only. Even the midrange appears clearer when the bass is properly reproduced ... Takes a while but IMO worth it.. If you like what you hear, the cost t of this vast improvement which is real, FAR from subtle both measurably and audibly, is minimal ...

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
brian

You asked a question in the thread about multiple subs and how many? I will answer it some in this one. You mention you had a problem at 65 Hz. First the Geddes approach does not preclude the use of different subwoofers ... They, of course need to be quality subs and with variable controls for phase, level and crossover points. I believe you are currently using JL Audio subs. The third sub in this configuration does not need t be very powerful as it is used to "fill" the holes in the FR. An image if you will.
As an experiment I would suggest to find a third sub. Leaving EVERYTHING as is presently in the system, i-e the two other subs where they are and the way they are set. You can borrow a sub from your friendly dealer, a lesser/smaller one from the JL Audio line will do. Small enough so that you can place it on the side wall on a chair for the duration of the experience. Set the crossover to something like 50 Hz and start measuring while varying the phase and the level control. You should hear very little from the subs even when close to it. You need some help and you must have a way to measure your response.
This is unusual for audiophile and 2-ch but try it and you may find that nasty problem to just disappear and your system overall sound improved by a respectable margin...No "bass response" only. Even the midrange appears clearer when the bass is properly reproduced ... Takes a while but IMO worth it.. If you like what you hear, the cost t of this vast improvement which is real, FAR from subtle both measurably and audibly, is minimal ...

Thanks Franz - I actually don't have any subs yet. i am debating the issue (not as an audiophile but as a good neighbor) as i live right above someone. As noted in this post, i have done a lot of sound isolation work on the floors between us and it is having good effect; however, i have stayed away from subs fearing that the low frequencies will find there way down stairs. what is interesting about what you are speaking towards Franz, and please correct me if i am wrong, the subs in the Geddes approach are filling (maybe over filling) the nodes to cancel out the problem, is that correct? and if it is, it would appear to me that i could find relatively smaller subs (of good quality) to accomplish this without blowing away my neighbor?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Brian

Itis inded true that in the Geddes approach, the subwoofers need not be the same. In your case it would be interesting to try it with smaller less potent subs so as to not bother the neighbor in case sound insulation is not good in the lows.
There are several choices but before shelling the serious dough, I would advise to consider borrowing three smaller subs (Sunfire True Subs are very good for this purpose, actually I think they are good enough to be left in place but ...) . The big requirement is to measure, this doesn't work very well with only the ears and know how. Then,if you like what you hear, you can go toward better/more celebrated subwoofers...
The Geddes approach works and surprisingly well Brian

Itis inded true that in the Geddes approach, the subwoofers need not be the same. In your case it would be interesting to try it with smaller less potent subs so as to not bother the neighbor in case sound insulation is not good in the lows.
There are several choices but before shelling the serious dough, I would advise to consider borrowing three smaller subs (Sunfire True Subs are very good for this purpose, actually I think they are good enough to be left in place but ...) . The big requirement are to know how to measure and some hardware/software to measure ... Then,if you like what you hear, you can go toward better/more celebrated subwoofers...
The Geddes approach works and surprisingly well

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing