New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My real issue with EV for a sports car is the sound rather the lack of it. Nothing like the roar of a ICE V12...

Can't disagree Christian but that technology is the way of the past.It'll be interesting to see the new Tesla Roadster vs your car. The Roadster is the fastest production car made

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
I'm a huge Model S fan.

I only read a sampling of the posts here but I'll jump in anyway. I have owned a Lamborghini Gallardo with a dual turbo upgrade (1100HP) and a Ferrari F12 (735HP). Both were fantastic cars. I have a 100D Model S and love it every bit as much. I am not a racer, not a wrench, just a car enthusiast. As good as the two Italian cars were, the acceleration of the S floats my boat more than either of the ICE monsters did. I don't miss the roar or the vibration although I thought I would. The smooth, liquid, instantaneous acceleration is intoxicating. No it won't do well on a race course. For me, I don't care. It's that on-ramp I love. Sooner or later all the exotics will be electric. Won't happen for a while but think what happens when the automotive electric motor has a few decades of development behind it. Easy to mate the superior handling of today's marquis sports cars with those motors. Then things will really get interesting.

Cincy

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Can't disagree Christian but that technology is the way of the past.It'll be interesting to see the new Tesla Roadster vs your car. The Roadster is the fastest production car made

Just because EV cars are new tech...that does not make them in any way better than an ICE car. Other than emissions and initial torque of the line...that is the only advantage of an EV. Those two factors mean jack to me, so I will stick with my low tech 740 Hp, naturally aspirated V12 Ferrari. ;)

Steve Williams

Just because EV cars are new tech...that does not make them in any way better than an ICE car. Other than emissions and initial torque of the line...that is the only advantage of an EV. Those two factors mean jack to me, so I will stick with my low tech 740 Hp, naturally aspirated V12 Ferrari. ;)

so are you saying your car is quicker than the Tesla Roadster??

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I only read a sampling of the posts here but I'll jump in anyway. I have owned a Lamborghini Gallardo with a dual turbo upgrade (1100HP) and a Ferrari F12 (735HP). Both were fantastic cars. I have a 100D Model S and love it every bit as much. I am not a racer, not a wrench, just a car enthusiast. As good as the two Italian cars were, the acceleration of the S floats my boat more than either of the ICE monsters did. I don't miss the roar or the vibration although I thought I would. The smooth, liquid, instantaneous acceleration is intoxicating. No it won't do well on a race course. For me, I don't care. It's that on-ramp I love. Sooner or later all the exotics will be electric. Won't happen for a while but think what happens when the automotive electric motor has a few decades of development behind it. Easy to mate the superior handling of today's marquis sports cars with those motors. Then things will really get interesting.

Cincy

Exactly.

Ecars are fast in a straight line for a short duration, which works well for driving on the street, and especially in cities. You can't take them to the track though, they can't maintain high power output for very long, not even one lap of the Nurburgring. Most gas powered sports cars are specifically designed to work well on a track.

I'd also agree exotics will be ecars at some point but it will take better battery technology.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
so are you saying your car is quicker than the Tesla Roadster??

what does faster mean to you ? off the stop light ? I don't really know the Tesla roadster acceleration specs, nor do I really care. Here are my f12 specs...I suspect it wouldn't be long before the Tesla is in my rear view mirror after 60 mph

F12 Berlinetta acceleration times in miles per hour. Top speed ? Fugettaboutit...211 mph

0 - 10 mph 0.4 s
0 - 20 mph 0.9 s
0 - 30 mph 1.4 s
0 - 40 mph 1.8 s
0 - 50 mph 2.3 s
0 - 60 mph 2.9 s
0 - 70 mph 3.5 s
0 - 80 mph 4.3 s
0 - 90 mph 5.1 s
0 - 100 mph 6.1 s
0 - 110 mph 7.1 s
0 - 120 mph 8.3 s

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Exactly.

Ecars are fast in a straight line for a short duration, which works well for driving on the street, and especially in cities. You can't take them to the track though, they can't maintain high power output for very long, not even one lap of the Nurburgring. Most gas powered sports cars are specifically designed to work well on a track.

I'd also agree exotics will be ecars at some point but it will take better battery technology.

Couldn't agree more. 0-60 times are only one tiny piece of the supercar puzzle

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Couldn't agree more. 0-60 times are only one tiny piece of the supercar puzzle

what's more...the pinnacle of EV...Formula E racing, each driver gets two cars. One charge get's them through only half the race, must pit and switch to a freshly charged car for the second half of the race. I'll stick with ICE racing.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My real issue with EV for a sports car is the sound rather the lack of it. Nothing like the roar of a ICE V12...

Christian, I get 100% what you're saying, and I'm not the only one, some of my best friends are . . . Harley Davidson riders...made in USA...Bruce Springsteen...all that jazz.

Today I'm a bit older, less younger, my ears lesser better, all the noise of my stereos, live rock concerts, jet planes passing by, bikes rolling like thunder, racing car tracks, ... they don't have the same potency vitamins dose of my youth. Sometimes my ears are vibrating to the rhythm of my car engine like the soul inside my cage.

It's a way of speech to say that we are like wind turbines looking for less damaging human noise.
Big cities are pack jammed with noise pollution, man is escaping to the country and to the quiet beaches, in search of silence from gentle waves and winds caressing the treetops...eagle's wings flapping the air...magic.

Electric cars are good for balance of stress level in people you pass by.
When sitting in your back veranda and looking towards the ocean's horizon just above the water's surface smoking a Cuban cigar with a glass of Portugal dry red wine, how does it feel in all the middle of it to hear the roar of a screeching engine rattling all your bones and taking you out of your sweet music atmosphere during your utmost vulnerability?

It's a figure of speech, like being in the streets of Bombay while dreaming of a cruise ship around the most exotic islands of the planet.

A quiet car is a good environment for music listening and healthy for the surrounding environment and the humans and animals inside of that environment.

I love roaring engines from Italian and German and British exotic powerful cars, I love more silence.
It's not easy growing up and developing handicaps, natural circumstances of life.
Babies I think they love peaceful music, sounds, ...they adhere more peacefully growing up in quiet environments.

This is just my opinion, there is no science in this. I say all this with truthfulness and pronounced humor.
I love my toys too, noisy toys, noise that shake the soul out of my thoracic cage...like hell on fire. Silence I prefer in vast general.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It’s not even close. Sorry, doc. I have a 4 second car with DCT.

And my M2 doesn’t use double stick tape for visor mirrors ?? Fit and finish is poor, as is the joke interior. I park next to one daily.

The Model 3 nfortunately is being made like a prototype. I mean, tents now lol

Time he doesn't have, to build another factory, so a big tent it is...like a cult.
And yes lol

The model S is one of the best cars ever reviewed and tested.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Don't get me wrong...I have nothing against the sound of an electric motor/car. Silence can be very nice, but when it comes to sport cars (for me) the visceral rush of the ICE engine revving can't be beat. It doesn't have to be loud and droning either.

Christian, I get 100% what you're saying, and I'm not the only one, some of my best friends are . . . Harley Davidson riders...made in USA...Bruce Springsteen...all that jazz.

Today I'm a bit older, less younger, my ears lesser better, all the noise of my stereos, live rock concerts, jet planes passing by, bikes rolling like thunder, racing car tracks, ... they don't have the same potency vitamins dose of my youth. Sometimes my ears are vibrating to the rhythm of my car engine like the soul inside my cage.

It's a way of speech to say that we are like wind turbines looking for less damaging human noise.
Big cities are pack jammed with noise pollution, man is escaping to the country and to the quiet beaches, in search of silence from gentle waves and winds caressing the treetops...eagle's wings flapping the air...magic.

Electric cars are good for balance of stress level in people you pass by.
When sitting in your back veranda and looking towards the ocean's horizon just above the water's surface smoking a Cuban cigar with a glass of Portugal dry red wine, how does it feel in all the middle of it to hear the roar of a screeching engine rattling all your bones and taking you out of your sweet music atmosphere during your utmost vulnerability?

It's a figure of speech, like being in the streets of Bombay while dreaming of a cruise ship around the most exotic islands of the planet.

A quiet car is a good environment for music listening and healthy for the surrounding environment and the humans and animals inside of that environment.

I love roaring engines from Italian and German and British exotic powerful cars, I love more silence.
It's not easy growing up and developing handicaps, natural circumstances of life.
Babies I think they love peaceful music, sounds, ...they adhere more peacefully growing up in quiet environments.

This is just my opinion, there is no science in this. I say all this with truthfulness and pronounced humor.
I love my toys too, noisy toys, noise that shake the soul out of my thoracic cage...like hell on fire. Silence I prefer in vast general.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Sorry Keith. I beg to differ. It is faster than your car.......

Let’s start with the good stuff, which is the upcoming performance version of the Model 3. According to Musk, this car is very quick. Zero to sixty is done in just 3.5 seconds, which puts in in the same ballpark as a Porsche 911 GT3. Top speed is limited to 155 mph to prevent the battery from melting out the body panels. Range is an impressive 310 miles which should put anyone’s range anxiety to bed. This car can not only take you to the summer home in the Hamptons but get you there before you even realize you left the city.

My son has the performance edition and I believe it will easily beat your car

No where near $65K. Where do you get this stuff Davey. My son bought a loaded Model 3 for just over $50K. He opted not to get the auto drive option

Thank you Steve for the facts.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Cincy

+1

Steve Williams

Christian

I agree with everything you say. I too love my ICE however I can tell you that driving my sons was a real rude awakening

They are totally quiet and frickin fast off the stop. There is no doubt it would beat Keiths car 0-60

And just in case you are wondering where Ferrari stands on the matter you might want to consider this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...errari-electric-supercar-suv-marchionne-tesla

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Don't get me wrong...I have nothing against the sound of an electric motor/car. Silence can be very nice, but when it comes to sport cars (for me) the visceral rush of the ICE engine revving can't be beat. It doesn't have to be loud and droning either.

I am humorous Christian. But I also like Cincy's post earlier, very. And when sitting on my veranda in peacefulness and suddenly I hear the roar of that Harley vibrating across the valley behind me it sure breaks my mood.

I think we are aiming for a more noise-free world, particularly in large cities, and air-free too. I'm all for a healthier world, noise wise and air wise.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
what does faster mean to you ? off the stop light ? I don't really know the Tesla roadster acceleration specs, nor do I really care. Here are my f12 specs...I suspect it wouldn't be long before the Tesla is in my rear view mirror after 60 mph

F12 Berlinetta acceleration times in miles per hour. Top speed ? Fugettaboutit...211 mph

0 - 10 mph 0.4 s
0 - 20 mph 0.9 s
0 - 30 mph 1.4 s
0 - 40 mph 1.8 s
0 - 50 mph 2.3 s
0 - 60 mph 2.9 s
0 - 70 mph 3.5 s
0 - 80 mph 4.3 s
0 - 90 mph 5.1 s
0 - 100 mph 6.1 s
0 - 110 mph 7.1 s
0 - 120 mph 8.3 s

I'm with Christian here. The AMG just puts this sh*t eating grin on my face every time I back it out of the garage. If I want to drive something faster?..... I'll just hop on my motorcycle!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You guys have highways with 250 km/hour speed limit?
In Canada we have none; we are very restricted...I think 120 km/hour, top speed limit. Yep, 120 km/h, not too far from me.

120 km/h speed limit on Island Highway (BC 19), north of Parksville; as of 2014 this is the highest signed speed limit in Canada.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Canada

Radar detectors are legal in BC, but if a cop is using a high-end laser gun aiming @ your machine while you are driving @ say 200 km/h, just forget it...you are toasted.

https://www.kmph.ca/collections/radar-detectors-vancouver-british-columbia
____

Electric cars like from Tesla are great for large cities, small cities, villages, big highways, country side roads, ...convertible, electric motorbikes. And if you don't like headphone music listening on the go ...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing