New set-up

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Very interesting setup. Can you provide some details? How close is your listening position to your speakers?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I recognize those room acoustic Rx. Avalon also uses (imports?) them in their room. Tell us more about them!

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy

carlocomi

Apr 17, 2013
Very interesting setup. Can you provide some details? How close is your listening position to your speakers?

Good morning to all of you.
Thank you for your interest.

A few info: my room is 6mx4,5x2,5m and my system is composed by Accuphase SACD DP78, Angstrom Research two chassies tube preamp, Angstrom Research class A tube Monoamp, B&W802N, all wired with D'Antoni Aluminium cables.
As you can see, I'm then using Tube Traps and Daad for room treatment and tuning.

I call it new set up since after ten years I decided to move to a near field listening.

I was reluctant, since I thought that being so close to the loudspeakers I would have lost deepness and it would have been difficult to make my 802 disappear.
I made some trial by myself, I bought some software from Acustica Applicata but I was unable to get a real good result, so I decided to ask, as I did already in the past, Italo Adami of Acustica Applicata to help me.
He came to my house last Sunday and in 8 hours, this is the final result.
Well, no comparison: the sound stage covers the full front wall and more; it is deep and presence effect is more realistic, same as transparency.
The 802 are not there, gone, disappeared!
I am fully satisfied; ok, with better gears and more tuning devices (I've now 50, between tube traps and daad) probably the result can be even better but...I've to realize that I'm already very lucky.
Loudspeakers are 1,4m from side walls, 2 meters from front wall and listening point is 1,8m from loudspeakers.
there is a lot of space behind me now; loudspeakers and myself occupy a small portion of the room only and it can seen strange but the result, is really unexpected and astonishing.
you are deep inside the music.
I don't say that is the best way to listen to music; it is one of different ways and simply I like it.

Ah, I'm from Italy.

BR to all of you.
Carlo
IMG_4723.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4726.jpg
    IMG_4726.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 1,409

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
nice system (again) - I have never heard of Angstrom research before but will get smart with their products, they look promising. Did you compared/had something else before deciding for these amps?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I visited their website, and found that just recently attended the Milan Audio Show includin Avalon speakers in their setup - my interest to learn more of Angstrom Research is growing.

carlocomi

Apr 17, 2013
hi!
Iìm actually in Brazil for a business trip but I will send some more about Armstrong Research when I will beback. I don't know if I did the right thing (I followed my listening impressions only) when I replaced with them my previous system, composed by a Audionote M7 with Threshold sa12e mono apms...
Ciao.
Carlo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing