Set Up Help

HickRm

Apr 18, 2024
UK
Hi I am new to the forum but looking for advice. I have the current set up of:

Pro-ject T1 with OM10 cartridge
Cambridge Audio 551p preamp
Steljes NS3 speakers

I am looking to upgrade either the preamp or cartridge (potentially to OM20)

What is the weak point of my system? Would you upgrade the preamp first or the cartridge?

HickRm

Apr 18, 2024
UK
Awesome thanks. I am looking to slowly upgrade my system. Would say after the cartridge the preamp next then the speakers?

I know theoretically passive speakers could be better with a proper amplifier set up but the active speakers allow me the best of both worlds with Bluetooth as well

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
You’re asking the wrong group.
I suggest that Upscale Audio, or HiFi Heaven, or even your local dealer, would be more attentive. They’re going to have regular exposure to these product lines. Most of the people who post here are not intimately familiar with them.

In a recent thread, @Ron Resnick asked the group to suggest a sub $10k system. Many suggestions were made, but in the end the budget was dropped to $4k, and the system that was chosen was put together by Crutchfield. I expect that if you called Crutchfield, they would happily chat you up and give you both pre and post sale support.
Here’s the system finally purchased:

Ron wrote:
“About a month ago I sent Marc a list of proposed components, with a couple of alternatives in a couple of categories. I think this group on this thread did a great job whittling down the infinite possibilities to a great stereo components suggestion!

Marc emailed today to report that he faced some unexpected bills, and he had to reduce the total budget to about $4,000. He became concerned about the complexity of putting together a stereo system whose components were sourced by different dealers, with no single dealer taking responsibility for getting the system working.

He visited a brick and mortar Crutchfield store with a singer friend of his who went to Juliard. Crutchfield recommended, and Marc purchased, these components:

Bowers & Wilkins 606 S3

SVS SB-1000 Pro

Dual CS 429

Marantz CD6007

NAD C 368 BluOS-2i

Marc is very happy with the sound of the new system, and he highly recommends Crutchfield!”

HickRm

Apr 18, 2024
UK
No a problem thanks and sorry. I will try Richer Sounds as they are probably the closest thing to Crutchfield in the uk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing