New screening test for Colorectal cancer

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Heard this story today on NPR radio about a new test that uses DNA signature in stool to detect colon cancer. Hope is that it will detect up to 85% of the cases. Good news is that testing will start soon so this is not another one of those ideas that is five years out. Here is the company that hopes to commercialize it:

Anything that doesn't involve foreign objects being inserted into one's body is a good thing I think :).

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have to agree.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think the radio interview said something about the hope that the invasive test be done less frequently, say once every 5 years, versus yearly version of this one. That said, they were not confident this would be the case.

BTW, the test only costs $300.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I knew a guy who asked the surgeon during his colonoscopy if he could take a look.

He said, "I've had my head up my ass so many times, but never with the lights on."

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I knew a guy who asked the surgeon during his colonoscopy if he could take a look.

He said, "I've had my head up my ass so many times, but never with the lights on."

Oh geez........:)

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Actually if your colonoscopy is normal you don't have to "ride the rocket" again for 10 years

Mine came back with problems a few years ago. I'm supposed to get retested every 3 years as a result. I really have to stop eating meat and processed foods..

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Undergoing a colonoscopy every three years IMHO is a small price to pay when you consider the alternatives

I'm not quite so sure after reading this:

http://roarofwolverine.com/archives/2776

Seems that the incidence of caught and saved from cancer is under 1%, while the possibility of a perferated intestine is 1.5X greater than the cancer. Couric's husband died of colon cancer at 42, so the screening at 50 would not have been any help to him and others in the same position.

As for me, I have this crappy insurance from my wife's employment that only pays for routine visits. The moment it turns into a diagnostic, there is a $3K deductable. Ouch. Got burned on that with my elevated PSA test at the urologist 2 years ago. One big problem with the current system is you go to a doc and you don't know what it's gonna cost you, if anything, beyond insurance. With a car repair, plumber, carpenter, etc. you know in advance and can plan. With medical, that $18K bill comes as a complete surprise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing