Colonoscopies could reduce cancer risk by 40 percent

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
AFP News

A colonoscopy every 10 years could prevent 40 percent of colorectal cancers, according to a massive US study, supporting the effectiveness of the commonly-used test.
Those with family history of these types of cancer -- the second-leading cause of cancer deaths in the US -- should have more frequent screenings, the study in the New England Journal of Medicine said.

The results confirm the current recommendations for colonoscopies, offering evidence it is particularly useful in preventing cancers that originate in the proximal, or upper, part of the colon.
"Our study provides strong evidence that colonoscopy is an effective technique for preventing cancers of both distal and proximal regions of the colorectum," said Shuji Ogino, a lead author from the Havard School of Public Health.

The screening is crucial in preventing proximal cancers, he explained, because another test, called sigmoidoscopy, uses a scope to examine only the lower part of the colon and "alone is insufficient for preventing proximal cancer."

Unlike sigmoidoscopy, a colonoscopy examines the entire colon, using a camera-equipped device that also has tools to remove cysts and benign tumors.
The authors analyzed data from nearly 89,000 participants in two long-term studies, basing their conclusions on surveys completed every two years between 1988 and 2008.
The researchers also obtained information on any colonoscopies and sigmoidoscopies conducted. They documented 1,815 cases of colorectal cancer and 474 resulting deaths.
They found that both screenings reduced the risk of developing, or dying from, colorectal cancers.
But only the more complete, colonoscopy screening reduced the risk of cancers in the upper part of the colon -- though even still, its effects were less successful than for preventing lower bowel cancers.

They estimated that, if all the participants had undergone a colonoscopy, the overall risk of colorectal cancers would have been reduced by 40 percent -- preventing 61 percent of lower colon cancers and just 22 percent of upper colon cancers.
The researchers speculated there may be molecular or biological differences between upper and lower colon cancers behind the lower success rate.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I had my first one at 51 back in august. Great piece of mind in lieu of the more than unpleasant prep required for the test. Nothing like the taste of MoviPrep...lol

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm 60 and have had it done twice now. I'm due again as I seem to be going in 5 year intervals. Test doesn't bother me.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
There was also a mention on the news about how many cancers on the right side of the colon, usually flat polyps, are being missed on colonoscoy. 79% of left sided polyps are being found while only 29% of right sided poylps are discovered.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There was also a mention on the news about how many cancers on the right side of the colon, usually flat polyps, are being missed on colonoscoy. 79% of left sided polyps are being found while only 29% of right sided poylps are discovered.

I didn't know that

Thanks Alexandre

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
When I was back in school studying physiology, the professor doing GI with us was discussing endoscopy. While most people find it uncomfortable and something they would like to avoid, he said if you just relax and get into it, it can be fun. Actually what he said was more R-rated, but when the time came for my colonoscopy, I decided to find out for myself and did it without any sedation or pain meds.

I have a great gastroenterologist and he agreed to do it that way for me (twice so far, several years apart). During the procedure he kept asking if I was OK and I assured him I would let him know if he was hurting me. We had an ongoing conversation during the procedure and he described every section as he progressed through the colon. The truth is it was fascinating to watch. It reminded me of "The Incredible Journey" and for those with young children, an episode of the TBS science cartoon show, "The Magic School Bus."

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Having just went through it, thankfully put under with propofol, I think I will continue that route for the next one in 5 years. Your a twisted man Gary Protein...thanks for sharing ;)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Having just went through it, thankfully put under with propofol, I think I will continue that route for the next one in 5 years. Your a twisted man Gary Protein...thanks for sharing ;)

I've been called worse!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Had a fried that had picked up some kind of bug/worm overseas and had a scan done while he watched. Like Gary he said it was a thrill!

Me? I was hyperventilating and at the verge of passing out before the thing even started! Never enjoyed being put to sleep more than that occasion! :D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
There are certain words that elicit negative feelings for me: Colonoscopy, root canal, and double-blind testing. None of those words conjure up good thoughts.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The problem with staying conscious...all that air they blow you up with... I have had a sigmoidoscopy in the past and was conscious. Talk about painful gas.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
There are certain words that elicit negative feelings for me: Colonoscopy, root canal, and double-blind testing. None of those words conjure up good thoughts.

Beats colectomy, colostomy, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, hospice, and end-of-life planning.

I've had a colonoscopy...the prep isn't that bad, you are totally knocked out for it (well apparently not everyone) and unlike a lot of other questionable screening exams, this one actually works.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I had my first one at 51 back in august. Great piece of mind in lieu of the more than unpleasant prep required for the test. Nothing like the taste of MoviPrep...lol

We are close in age. I also had my first one at age 51 this year.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
When I was back in school studying physiology, the professor doing GI with us was discussing endoscopy. While most people find it uncomfortable and something they would like to avoid, he said if you just relax and get into it, it can be fun. Actually what he said was more R-rated, but when the time came for my colonoscopy, I decided to find out for myself and did it without any sedation or pain meds.

I have a great gastroenterologist and he agreed to do it that way for me (twice so far, several years apart). During the procedure he kept asking if I was OK and I assured him I would let him know if he was hurting me. We had an ongoing conversation during the procedure and he described every section as he progressed through the colon. The truth is it was fascinating to watch. It reminded me of "The Incredible Journey" and for those with young children, an episode of the TBS science cartoon show, "The Magic School Bus."

I woke up 3/4 of the way though mine (which they warned me was quite common - the drug that puts you out wears out before the one that masks the pain) and it was fascinating to watch the rest of it (I didn't feel a thing). Feels weird to say this, but it was a positive experience overall.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Beats colectomy, colostomy, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, hospice, and end-of-life planning.

I've had a colonoscopy...the prep isn't that bad, you are totally knocked out for it (well apparently not everyone) and unlike a lot of other questionable screening exams, this one actually works.

It is good piece of mind when you get a good result. Many more happy years of listening, hopefully.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I wasn't put under either, but they did give me a mild sedative. I watched the procedure and found it fascinating. Both doctors were great as they explained every step of the process.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing