New Recording Technique At New Record Label By David Chesky

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I noticed today that David Chesky is launching a new recording label titled "The Audiophile Society."

INTRODUCING THE AUDIOPHILE SOCIETY: COMING MARCH 11TH

The Audiophile Society is the brainchild of composer, pianist, and audio pioneer David Chesky. The new label will focus on bringing even more realistic three-dimensional recordings to market with their Meta-Dimensional Sound, The Audiophile Society’s name for their unique two-channel 3D audio that can play on all existing two-channel stereo, while showcasing emerging artists working in a multitude of genres. The ultimate goal of The Audiophile Society is to change the way you hear music.

"These recordings are compatible with your home and portable systems and can be played back on anyone's home speaker system or headphones without the need for buying any other audio equipment. Our Meta-Dimensional audio is more than some application. It is a process that is thought out from the ground up on each recording," says David. “When you hear our new Audiophile Society recordings on speakers, you should feel like you are in the space with the musicians. The sound of our music is not stuck to the speaker grills like a normal recording but should float up before you. You should experience a sense of height and a wider and deeper soundstage. It should be a more enveloping realistic experience.”

All Audiophile Society audio downloads will include a special dedicated 3D headphone mix. As David says, “Headphones are different experience from speakers and the mixes should be treated differently. When you hear our headphone mixes you should feel the sounds coming not from inside your head like normal stereo recordings, but you should feel a sense of externalization from the sound. The listener should feel like they are in the venue that the music was performed in.

All Audiophile Society downloads come in a choice of two audio packages: The Hi-Res PCM Package (which includes a 192/24 speaker mix, a 96/24 headphone mix, & a DSD speaker mix) or The DSD & 48/24 Package (which includes a DSD speaker mix, a DSD headphone mix, a 48/24 speaker mix, and a 48/24 headphone mix), all in Meta-Dimensional Sound.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Interesting. I have forgotten all the other attempts to surpass the other forms of digital music. Let’s see is this succeeds.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Did anyone find anything substantive in the press release to indicate if there was something other than fluff behind this?
Has anyone around here (other than me) had a chance to audition any of the samples?

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
Interesting. I have forgotten all the other attempts to surpass the other forms of digital music. Let’s see is this succeeds.
Reminds me of a time when quadraphonic was all the rage.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Did anyone find anything substantive in the press release to indicate if there was something other than fluff behind this?
Has anyone around here (other than me) had a chance to audition any of the samples?
Binaural recordings aimed at headphone listening have been around since the early days of stereo, although never really more than a tiny niche. Other than that?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Binaural recordings aimed at headphone listening have been around since the early days of stereo, although never really more than a tiny niche. Other than that?
Sure and Chesky has been into that for a while.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Some Chesky recording are made from an original that was not binaural iirc.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Some Chesky recording are made from an original that was not binaural iirc.
OK. This new announcement applies to both headphone (binaural) and speaker (stereo) formats.
I am waiting/hoping for someone to comment on the sound.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
OK. This new announcement applies to both headphone (binaural) and speaker (stereo) formats.
I am waiting/hoping for someone to comment on the sound.
I can get some files possibly and report back.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
They have a set of samples for the press.
Is not your alter ego a member of the press?
I thought Chesky went 100% binaural some time ago. I heard it over headphones some time ago.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Is not your alter ego a member of the press?
Yes but before I open my mouth, I'd like there to be at least one additional commentator.
I thought Chesky went 100% binaural some time ago. I heard it over headphones some time ago.
Perhaps that's why I never heard it. ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
No worries.
I found another startup whose technique was superior. They were looking for capital but seem to have stalled.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
David Chesky is a pioneer. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and check out these recordings.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Steve Guttenberg interviews David Chesky including about The Audiophile Society and the 3d technique. The goal is to widen the soundstage to 180 degrees and add dimensions in front of speakers. Also to have a separate mix for headphones that optimize the 3d effects as well. Doing this with tech and DSP rather than with microphones etc.

Interview (starting at the point he talks about Meta Dimensional).

Brad Lunde

Sep 18, 2020
Las Vegas
www.lonemountainaudio.com
I sold David a SoundField Mark 4 Mic years ago, this was the mic behind some the earlier forms of 3D sound. The SoundField mic had 4 discrete capsules and output 4 channels to define 3 axis plus a reference. (left to right, front to back and up + down). David was definitely into imaging and is clearly continuing to explore. I love it!

David is such a great story in and of himself. One of the very few people who has the time, the money and inclination to experiment with imaging in a way that we can share in, we get to hear it too!

Brad

Reactions: ddk

Sa-dono

Dec 29, 2016
Steve Guttenberg interviews David Chesky including about The Audiophile Society and the 3d technique. The goal is to widen the soundstage to 180 degrees and add dimensions in front of speakers. Also to have a separate mix for headphones that optimize the 3d effects as well. Doing this with tech and DSP rather than with microphones etc.

Interview (starting at the point he talks about Meta Dimensional).
I applaud Chesky for trying something new. DSP gets a thumbs down from me, as it’s unneeded, if he got away from his “two microphones” mindset.

Reactions: APP

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I sold David a SoundField Mark 4 Mic years ago, this was the mic behind some the earlier forms of 3D sound. The SoundField mic had 4 discrete capsules and output 4 channels to define 3 axis plus a reference. (left to right, front to back and up + down). David was definitely into imaging and is clearly continuing to explore. I love it!

David is such a great story in and of himself. One of the very few people who has the time, the money and inclination to experiment with imaging in a way that we can share in, we get to hear it too!

Brad
Thanks! That was a good move :)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Chesky is a good inovator , while.not all are liked by me its clear most or all are very well made tracks.
There is a german made headphone amp that had a cross talk feature . One could adjust where you sat while listening . A cool feature but not used often by me. the amp section was not best.for my hd800 phones.
SOLD it after some time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing