New MSB Diamond Dac Select 60k

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This could cause real anxiety. Imagine a turntable marketed to hold speed according to the KAB strobe and then a "better" version of the same table marketed to be stable with the Sutherland TimeLine strobe. 0.03 % off versus 0.003% off. I guess the analogy would be tolerances for drive belts, speed sensors, bearing smoothness, how clean is the power in the controller. It makes my head spin just thinking about the possibilities.

Because none of this is perfect, there is always room for "slightly better" accompanied by a much higher price. Wait, I just realized. We are already there.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
This is good for them it gives another tier to choose from
I'm sure it's special order as well so another month or two .
But if the top is what you want no holds barred .
It's there. Elbroth said the best I totally agree with him.
Al

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This is good for them it gives another tier to choose from
I'm sure it's special order as well so another month or two .
But if the top is what you want no holds barred .
It's there. Elbroth said the best I totally agree with him.
Al

IMHO the powerbase of Diamond IV Plus has much ground for improvement.
The blue plastic-shield Talema transformers (although shielded with circumferential metallic sheets) and red Wima caps are those used also in the Signature & Standard powerbases.
These components are not the best both in term of measurement and subjective audition. There are many better options : R-core transformers, C-core transformers, better capacitors...etc.
Shall these be used in the USD 60k Diamond Select? I definitely think so!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That will be the Diamond Select SE. And Diamond Select Ultimate will also feature Black Gates and retail for $120k ;)

Oh wait ! Light Harmonic has just announced the $120k Sire DAC, so the Diamond Select Ultimate would have to be at least $150k to be taken seriously.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing