"New" Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Pressings

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Please do and report back. I won't be surprised if your US original will sound much the better. Check out the dynamic range differences and how Cat's voice sounds from one LP to the next.
The old UK 'pink rim' is also extremely good and isn't nearly as pricey as the 'full pink' label.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Miles Davis "'Round About Midnight": Has anyone compared the new MoFi pressing to the Speakers Corner reissue that came out a short while back? Do they sound different from each other and is one better?

Peter: I haven't heard the reissues, but the original 6 eye in mono CL 949 i think it is, is pretty amazing. Granted, a new record is going to have quieter surfaces, but the old Columbia jazz records are very 'alive' (without sounding bright or thin) and fairly gettable. You should probably try to find a copy if you don't have one, even if it is just a reference for the various reissues. The good Doctor of Jazz knows way more about these old jazz records than me.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The old UK 'pink rim' is also extremely good and isn't nearly as pricey as the 'full pink' label.

I don't know what sounds funnier- "pink rim" or "full pink."

pingu

Jul 19, 2013
Daveyf, I have not heard the original Bat out of Hell; I have a $1.95 copy and did have a CD of it and before that a cassette. Driving the 1400 miles home from grad school it was one of the great road records. The car stereo was wat you would expect so cannot comment on quality. (The car was a VW Rabbit so the sound was by definition better than the car).

My question would be why re-issue and sell for $30.00 a record that really cannot be significantly improved? I mean that when the LP is available for a couple of bucks at almost any used record joint why repress?. Here in San Jose we have several used shops. I went upscale to a high end place called the Analog Room and bought this which was a real disappointment.

pingu

Jul 19, 2013
Have you heard the Elvis Costello "Get Happy" MoFi recording?

I dislike the old Mofi's intensely but was assured that the new "Gain 2" system was a different beast. Wasn't willing to plump $40.00 to find out>

Our local high end record shop has LOTS of Mofi - can't figure out why - compared to any other re-issue label.

Hopefully, someone else besides MoFi has access to a significant quantity of original tapes.

pingu

Jul 19, 2013
was there ever a decent release of Bat out of hell? lots of discussion on other forums re this particular meat loaf title, including some back story about the master being destroyed in a fire and inferior back up tapes were used ever since. its also unanimous the SACD is appalling.

Very interesting. Do you know any details - sounds like a great back story. BTW, have you noticed that pretty much all the U2 CD recordings sound awful?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I have the MFSL Blood on the Tracks and Eat a Peach on the way. Hopefully these are good. The original US tan label Capricorn Eat a Peach leaves a bit to be desired.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have the MFSL Blood on the Tracks and Eat a Peach on the way. Hopefully these are good. The original US tan label Capricorn Eat a Peach leaves a bit to be desired.

Let me know what you think! I have it and she's a beauty in very regard IMO.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I wasn't too blown away by the MFSL Blood on the Tracks, my really early original pressing (black text rear cover) sounds fantastic as it is. However Eat a Peach is wonderful. My mini review

It's like wiping a slightly dusty window when compared to the original (1A/1A/1B/1A combination), and it doesn't suffer from that top end haze like many reissues do. Nice natural tone as well. This is a top 5 Mofi release. Up there with Beck's Sea Change and a few others. Also comes in a really nice thick gatefold with gorgeously detailed inner panel artwork, just as clear as the original pressing. No teensy super format CD packaging is going to capture the beauty of that art.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I wasn't too blown away by the MFSL Blood on the Tracks, my really early original pressing (black text rear cover) sounds fantastic as it is. However Eat a Peach is wonderful. My mini review

It's like wiping a slightly dusty window when compared to the original (1A/1A/1B/1A combination), and it doesn't suffer from that top end haze like many reissues do. Nice natural tone as well. This is a top 5 Mofi release. Up there with Beck's Sea Change and a few others. Also comes in a really nice thick gatefold with gorgeously detailed inner panel artwork, just as clear as the original pressing. No teensy super format CD packaging is going to capture the beauty of that art.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm a little confused...is this your Mini review of BOTT or EAP?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I agree with hvbias re blood on the tracks, the SQ isn't markedly better over and orig pressing. i'll have to replay my eat a peach, it sounds compressed and left me wanting but then I don't have an orig press to compare with. comparisons aside, it must be said re recent mfsl reissues you still get a flawless pressing for your money, imo way better than the early JVCs at any point in their production.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't have an original BOTT to compare, but the MFSL sounds pretty darned good IMO. I'll keep on eye out for a good standard pressing.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have an old "big mural" copy of Blood- it sounded pretty good when I last listened to it. God knows where my copy of Eat a Peach is, I'm now gonna have to hunt for it. Love the Duane era of the Allmans, sort of quit following them after he passed. Ever hear Duane's playing on Boz Skagg's "Loan Me a Dime" that was recorded before the Allman Bros. geared up?
Two amazing solos- Duane had such delicacy and sweetness to his playing. Sorely missed.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have an old "big mural" copy of Blood- it sounded pretty good when I last listened to it. God knows where my copy of Eat a Peach is, I'm now gonna have to hunt for it. Love the Duane era of the Allmans, sort of quit following them after he passed. Ever hear Duane's playing on Boz Skagg's "Loan Me a Dime" that was recorded before the Allman Bros. geared up?
Two amazing solos- Duane had such delicacy and sweetness to his playing. Sorely missed

I have the original Canadian pressing and the Friday Music reissue of that album. The latter is quieter, but not better. I have "Memphis" on my "buy" list.:)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have the original Canadian pressing and the Friday Music reissue of that album. The latter is quieter, but not better. I have "Memphis" on my "buy" list.:)

The people playing on that Memphis album make up an impressive list, including your bro, Keb Mo'. Saw Boz last year, meh. The show was mostly disco era stuff, though it played well on Silk Degrees, it didn't translate, in my estimation, in a 2012 era live show. He did do Loan Me a Dime though, and that was the only time his guitarist really got to play.
There's an old Duane Allman Anthology you can probably pick up cheaply on vinyl- later Capricorn, I think, haven't listened to it in years, but it's got alot of great stuff, including the Boz track.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing