New Kronos review!

number95

May 14, 2014

number95

May 14, 2014
I think people are drinking too much kool-aid if they think the Kronos is superior to the AF1. In terms of quiet, no way a non air bearing design can beat an air bearing in the low rolling noise dept....I will also add that no air bearing is quieter than the AF1 since it doesn't even have a bearing. The entire platter floats on a cushion of air. The spindle is not a bearing..only a centering device for the floating platter. In any event, the review is careless. Even though the guy owns AF1 and CA Statement...he was probably greased with a free Kronos for his glowing and non tech specific review. Happy spinning folks !

Bearing is crucial and in that regard my vote goes to AF. That said counter platter might work better for a belt drive design in terms of stability. It might be the case the reviewer has been referring to a darker background. My two cents.

A Happy New Year to everyone.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
... Even though the guy owns AF1 and CA Statement...he was probably greased with a free Kronos for his glowing and non tech specific review. ...

I don't think it works that way. Maybe a typical industry accommodation price.

I don't think there are modern standards sufficiently rigorous to measure primary turntable attributes: speed stability, speed accuracy, quiet/noise.

Wrt counter-rotation I'm curious why no review features a comparison with the counter-rotating platter disconnected.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I think people are drinking too much kool-aid if they think the Kronos is superior to the AF1. In terms of quiet, no way a non air bearing design can beat an air bearing in the low rolling noise dept....I will also add that no air bearing is quieter than the AF1 since it doesn't even have a bearing. The entire platter floats on a cushion of air. The spindle is not a bearing..only a centering device for the floating platter. In any event, the review is careless. Even though the guy owns AF1 and CA Statement...he was probably greased with a free Kronos for his glowing and non tech specific review. Happy spinning folks !

I know the reviewer & the system very well. Is Kronos Pro , quiet ? Yes . Is it quieter than AFO ? To his ears yes. To my ears ???
He bought the Kronos Pro at a good price . Anyway this review is merely his opinion. Just treat it as informative & not necessary conclusive . After all it's different tonearms & different cartridges for all 3 TT. To me , at least it is better than the ridiculous video review who based his conclusion on listening to 3 different syst at 3 different place & come to the conclusion that it's the most dynamic TT in the world - that is certainly a bought review . Again is an opinion only

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I know the reviewer & the system very well. Is Kronos Pro , quiet ? Yes . Is it quieter than AFO ? To his ears yes. To my ears ???
He bought the Kronos Pro at a good price . Anyway this review is merely his opinion. Just treat it as informative & not necessary conclusive . After all it's different tonearms & different cartridges for all 3 TT. To me , at least it is better than the ridiculous video review who based his conclusion on listening to 3 different syst at 3 different place & come to the conclusion that it's the most dynamic TT in the world - that is certainly a bought review . Again is an opinion only

I agree and regret my grease comment. It's too damn subjective.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
What is the price of this Ltd edition Kronus?

What does it do differently to the standard Kronus?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It's $35000 for the Kronos Pro, and $8500 for the Black Beauty tonearm.

Here's the price.
The Kronos Pro is a limited edition run of 250 units. There is no "standard" Kronos, or maybe you can consider the Sparta to be that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How big is the difference between Sparta and this? Asiufy, we both like Kronos, Avantgarde, Koetsu...you really should swap your dac to Lampi ;)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
How big is the difference between Sparta and this? Asiufy, we both like Kronos, Avantgarde, Koetsu...you really should swap your dac to Lampi ;)

I look forward to Alex's reply. :D

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Here's the price.
The Kronos Pro is a limited edition run of 250 units. There is no "standard" Kronos, or maybe you can consider the Sparta to be that.

Thanks, I guess I should have been more specific.

Is the Kronos Pro Ltd $35,000 the same turntable as the original Kronos table released in 2011 for $28,000 and had several reviews in 2012?. There was no mention of Pro Ltd back then. The Kronos web site makes no mention of Pro Ltd but still has 250 as the production run.

Is this just a name change for marketing purpose or has there been improvements since the original release?

Cheers

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
The counter rotating platters worry me somewhat.
Although I am not a physicist surely any inherent rotational issues in a non-perfect world would be additive.
I would welcome anyone with greater physics knowledge than mine to weigh in.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I guess I need to hear it for myself. As Frank750 mentioned...he owned the SME before the AF2 and he says the AF2 is quieter to his ear. So much for un-audited measurements. And if I seem defensive, I am not. In terms of listening preferences...everyone hears differently. Sounds like the Kronos is a sonic bargain.

Perhaps you should audition a Kronos and give us a full report?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Perhaps you should audition a Kronos and give us a full report?

I've heard it and it is a wonderful turntable. I've heard it it several times at shows going back to CES 4 years ago, then at Caelin's house in a superb listening room and finally at Alma Music. On each of those occasions i was drawn into the music and it remained on my list of turntables to consider. I have no comment only because of my ignorance regarding the counter rotating lower platter but suffice it to say the sound floor was indeed very low and the sound quality was excellent. I even had a lengthy call with Louis Desjardins regarding his table.

When all was said and done however I went in a different direction as I wanted vacuum clamp down and the ability to have more than one arm mounted. I was also under the impression Louis was working on a better motor which was going to improve the sonic quality by a huge amount however his design would never include vacuum and only have one arm. I did hear the Black Beauty with the ZYX UNIverse cartridge and it was terrific. So for my ears I heard nothing wrong with the turntable at all

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've heard both in excellent systems, but like you Doc, am not enough of an analog expert to decipher the sonic differences. where is Gary???

I've had a simple Brinkmann Bardo for two years and don't have the need to go further anyways :)

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
I own both. Bought both of them used and set them up myself. The Kronos with a SME V12 and the AFO with the Graham Elite. Both arms are with the Clearaudio GF, the one on the AFO not yet broken in, so a real comparison is not possible.
All the same, I find it impossible to say which combination is " better ", because I like the sound of both. More of that later though. I heartlily dislike the use of words like better here, because what is the reference? Better according to what? I think, when we use that word or similar, some point of reference should be given.
That said, l find that in my rig, compared to the sound of the AFO, the Kronos sounds richer, more full bodied, more fleshed out. Often I find myself turning down the volume, when listening to the same piece, which was on the Techdas before, because the rendering of the Kronos seemed louder. As I had noted, the cart here is fully broken in. Stability of the Kronos is first class. Long drawn out notes or decays on violin or piano are absolutely stable.
(I am cursed with absolute pitch )
Same with the Techdas of course. The absence of spurious noise is uncanny. Tics and pops are somehow moved unto another plane, something the Kronos cannot do as well.
Listening to the AFO with material I know well, I find that the entire information is there, nothing missing to my ears, before a background of a silence, which lets me think of good digital. Sometimes I find the sound a tad dry, but then this cart has only few hours on its back. When I take the same LP over to the Kronos Ltd, I get the same information, no new mikrodetail added, I find, but the whole presentation as if painted with a bigger brush. The soudstage moves forward, but with the same fairly good definition as with the Techdas before.
From what I have described, one would expect, that the Kronos gives more bloom on instruments. Not so, here I find the AFO a little closer to when I listen to a real violin for example, perhaps because of this incredible silent background, which the Kronos cannot match.
I like both setups, find none " better ", simply very different.
With the one Music is beautifully rendered in say a hall with good reverb and you sit close to the music, with the other, you are placed a few rows more back snd the hall seems a tad dry. Wonder what the Techdas combo will sound like, when the cart is fully broken in.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I own both. Bought both of them used and set them up myself. The Kronos with a SME V12 and the AFO with the Graham Elite. Both arms are with the Clearaudio GF, the one on the AFO not yet broken in, so a real comparison is not possible.
All the same, I find it impossible to say which combination is " better ", because I like the sound of both. More of that later though. I heartlily dislike the use of words like better here, because what is the reference? Better according to what? I think, when we use that word or similar, some point of reference should be given.
That said, l find that in my rig, compared to the sound of the AFO, the Kronos sounds richer, more full bodied, more fleshed out. Often I find myself turning down the volume, when listening to the same piece, which was on the Techdas before, because the rendering of the Kronos seemed louder. As I had noted, the cart here is fully broken in. Stability of the Kronos is first class. Long drawn out notes or decays on violin or piano are absolutely stable.
(I am cursed with absolute pitch )
Same with the Techdas of course. The absence of spurious noise is uncanny. Tics and pops are somehow moved unto another plane, something the Kronos cannot do as well.
Listening to the AFO with material I know well, I find that the entire information is there, nothing missing to my ears, before a background of a silence, which lets me think of good digital. Sometimes I find the sound a tad dry, but then this cart has only few hours on its back. When I take the same LP over to the Kronos Ltd, I get the same information, no new mikrodetail added, I find, but the whole presentation as if painted with a bigger brush. The soudstage moves forward, but with the same fairly good definition as with the Techdas before.
From what I have described, one would expect, that the Kronos gives more bloom on instruments. Not so, here I find the AFO a little closer to when I listen to a real violin for example, perhaps because of this incredible silent background, which the Kronos cannot match.
I like both setups, find none " better ", simply very different.
With the one Music is beautifully rendered in say a hall with good reverb and you sit close to the music, with the other, you are placed a few rows more back snd the hall seems a tad dry. Wonder what the Techdas combo will sound like, when the cart is fully broken in.

Thank you for your observations and clearing up the low noise issue I had with the reviewer regarding the noise floor and damping of pops and ticks of the AFO vs the Kronos. I have not heard the Kronos and only have a Clearaudio Master Innovation magnetic drive turntable to compare. It seems to flesh out music similarly to the Kronos as you describe, but it can't touch the AFO's seemingly noiseless background and damping of record surface anomalies (pops & tics).

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
How does a turntable / arm / cartridge combination perform this rather nest trick of dampening of record surface anomalies (pops & tics) without sacrificing music details?

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
why? how does it compare with MSB higher end offerings?

The sound of classical piano ( Glenn Gould Beethoven rb remastered ) ripped and fed into Request The Beast and from there into the Diamond Dac IV via i2s was close to the sound of the AFO. With the TT there was a touch more air. ( The LP was also a digital remaster ) With the Kronos, the entire presentation moved forward, the sound was more lush, the piano filled the entire stage. The AFO and the digital seemed more taken back, the sound within the stage more realistic to my ear.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Detlof, how do you prefer these to your Goldmund Reference?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing