New Kronos review!

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Did you find it less detailed, lesser highs, and less bottom, than the ortofon? I heard it on FR 64 on modded thorens and EAT arm (copy of ortofon arm) on modded Garrard. Both compared with Zyx through Shindo top of the line phono. Chat later out for the night

Well that could explain it and it's not hearing differences. Doesn't the FR 64 (not S) with it's head shell have an effective mass of ~20 grams? This versus the VPI 3D printed arm of 10.6gms. If that's what we're talking, with a 9×10-6cm/dyne10-6cm/dyne cartridge, we have totally different set-ups and they are really not comparable at all and there's the reason they sounded different to us. That arm does not appear ideal for the Madake (too heavy. The S is even heavier).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well that could explain it and it's not hearing differences. Doesn't the FR 64 (not S) with it's head shell have an effective mass of ~20 grams? This versus the VPI 3D printed arm of 10.6gms. If that's what we're talking, with a 9×10-6cm/dyne10-6cm/dyne cartridge, we have totally different set-ups and they are really not comparable at all and there's the reason they sounded different to us. That arm does not appear ideal for the Madake (too heavy. The S is even heavier).

The owner changes the headshell for the carts as the headshells drive the FR 64 mass. But we tried it on two arms - the FR 64 was his regular arm for the Zyx, and the EAT was the regular one for the Miyajima. We tried the Zyx on it as well. The owner, btw, agreed with my assessment, he likes the Miyajima for certain vocal-based music

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
These are all great cartridges Ked and I doubt that anyone would be unhappy with any of them. Reason for having multiple arms & cartridges isn't for A/B testing but to have a varied sound, everything gets old sometimes caviar sometimes fish & chips is what hits the spot!

david

Hi David, living with multiple carts is fine, just that cuntigh was talking about replacing his Anna with Miyajima. Even the Miyajima owner where I demoed the carts agreed with my assessment, he likes the Miyajima for certain vocal based music. While it's good to have a variety, one does not want to end up with fish and chips for breakfast, lunch and dinner on a daily basis.

Just to clarify, I am not saying one cart is good. of the ones i have heard, I like Ortofon A90/95/Anna, Lyra etna/atlas, Zyx Uni II/Premium, your Neumann, EMT, can see why Shure and Spu are good at a cheaper rate, VDH colibri Platinum and Gold (did not like Copper), and Shelter Harmony is nice too. I can also see why people would like AN IO Gold or Kondo IO though that that wouldn't be my choice. But the Madake I heard, was definitely not for orchestral.

I do A/B testing so that if restricted by budget one had to pull the trigger on one or two, the best values and different flavors should be clear. I have not heard the Airtight, for example, and difficult to calibrate without an A/B if it belongs to Ortofon/Lyra sound or Koetsu sound or a completely different sound.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Bonzo,
Thanks for telling your opinion with real comparo side by side. It helps me to more finely think about. France is not the analog paradise. It's quasi impossible to compare 2 TT, arms or carts side by side (I mean 2 in the same price range).
Every brick and mortar shop choose one brand and one model of TT in a price range and "that's the best you can find at that price". You have to believe them.
So we have to make opinions on the reviews and the user's opinions expressed on forum. When you go to a show you can hear the tt that you are looking for but the rest of the system is unknown to you so what do you hear exactly ?
It's true not only for analog : 3 years ago I wanted to listen a VAC amp. The importer had no seller in my area. He proposed me to listen (he said he brought it at home) the integrated model telling me if I should like it he would order for selling me the amp I wanted because it is too much expensive for him to have one in stock ("this is quite the same but better music"). I avcepeted but he never went even after I reminded him by mail.
Imagine you go for buying a Audi Q7 and the seller has none because of price and tell you to try the Q3 and if it please you he will order the Q7 ("sir, it's the same but just bigger").
Can you imagine that ? When I wanted my Anna for rebuilt I had to pay the total amount to the importer of money BEFORE it ship it to Ortofon. Is that normal ?
After that I waited 7 weeks because Ortofon for shipping it back waited the importer to pay them.
So I am a bit disgusted and my angst stretched maybe too much to the importer, Ortofon, the always higher prices and lower service. When I bought the Anna, 2 and a half year ago it was 5600€. Now it is 7000€. Why ? did I ask. Answer : guess what ? Increase of metal price.....we are talking of aroud 10 gr for a cart.
That's I want to change my cart and buy a less expensive one with good analog SQ and not so expensive to rebuild.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi cuntigh, I am aware from reading your posts that you don't get to compare or listen to analog much. Hence I was voicing my opinions strongly rather leave it to "different preferences different opinions different set ups". In some cases such things much sense, but I also know the Analysis speakers well, and you need a cartridge with top high zing on them, so I would really not go for a Miyajjima or mid-level Koetsu on them. If you are looking for a cheaper cartridge, try the Audio Technica Art 9 or their special Art 1000. I have never heard it but it is considered in the Ortofon kind of sound. I hope to listen to it and compare with Lyra and Zyx in November. There is a member on various forums named Pani who owns one as well.

Anyway if you ever mount the Ortofon, I would love to come over for a visit to listen to the Raven and the Ortofon into the Analysis.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Thanks Bonzo,
You are welcome when you want. Thanks for the advices. No one answered about Vertere ?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mr. C, check your PM box

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi David, living with multiple carts is fine, just that cuntigh was talking about replacing his Anna with Miyajima. Even the Miyajima owner where I demoed the carts agreed with my assessment, he likes the Miyajima for certain vocal based music. While it's good to have a variety, one does not want to end up with fish and chips for breakfast, lunch and dinner on a daily basis.

Just to clarify, I am not saying one cart is good. of the ones i have heard, I like Ortofon A90/95/Anna, Lyra etna/atlas, Zyx Uni II/Premium, your Neumann, EMT, can see why Shure and Spu are good at a cheaper rate, VDH colibri Platinum and Gold (did not like Copper), and Shelter Harmony is nice too. I can also see why people would like AN IO Gold or Kondo IO though that that wouldn't be my choice. But the Madake I heard, was definitely not for orchestral.

I do A/B testing so that if restricted by budget one had to pull the trigger on one or two, the best values and different flavors should be clear. I have not heard the Airtight, for example, and difficult to calibrate without an A/B if it belongs to Ortofon/Lyra sound or Koetsu sound or a completely different sound.

Bonzo, you should try to hear the AirTight Supreme. I have not directly compared it to the cartridges on your list so I don't know how to describe its sound relative to those. I do find it highly resolving and natural sounding without being aggressive, or causing any fatigue, based on listening in my system, a friend's system on an SP10 MK3/SMEV-12 and at shows.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, Soundsmith Straingauge remains a generally under appreciated giant killer

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, Soundsmith Straingauge remains a generally under appreciated giant killer

Haven't heard it, and a player wouldn't want to stop using an external phono. Otherwise it's a no brainer. That reminds me, cuntigh, the UK distro of Analysis' preferred cart is lyra. While expensive, just goes back to show that you need those neutral detailed top high zing carts on the Analysis.

Marc, I can easily see a Goldmund studio, with strain gauge, no cost for additional arm and phono, be the way to get a super vinyl set up a at low cost

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo, you should try to hear the AirTight Supreme. I have not directly compared it to the cartridges on your list so I don't know how to describe its sound relative to those. I do find it highly resolving and natural sounding without being aggressive, or causing any fatigue, based on listening in my system, a friend's system on an SP10 MK3/SMEV-12 and at shows.

Yes I have also read your posts describing differences between airtight and MSL. Would like to hear those one day. Supreme too expensive though so not for me but would be interested to hear a compassion with Zyx uni premium at that price point

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes I have also read your posts describing differences between airtight and MSL. Would like to hear those one day. Supreme too expensive though so not for me but would be interested to hear a compassion with Zyx uni premium at that price point

Well, perhaps some day I will take my two cartridges over to MadFloyd's Kronos for a direct comparison and share our listening impressions.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Haven't heard it, and a player wouldn't want to stop using an external phono. Otherwise it's a no brainer. That reminds me, cuntigh, the UK distro of Analysis' preferred cart is lyra. While expensive, just goes back to show that you need those neutral detailed top high zing carts on the Analysis.

Really? You mean Peter? Every time I have seen/heard him dem at shows he's been using a Brinkmann with a Transfiguration. Maybe he doesn't like the newer Transfiguration but Orpheus and Orpheus L were the ones I saw him use.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm a previous owner of both Transfiguration Super Supreme and Orpheus, and the Straingauge trumps them both comprehensively
A big additional reason I went for it was precisely eliminating the need for phono, although had it not been killer this wouldn't have been sufficient incentive
Getting it off the grid with Vinnie Rossi battery psu takes it to new heights
Justin, Peter really rates all the Soundsmiths including the Straingauge and doesn't sell the Transfigutations, are you sure he demoed them?
Anyhow the Straingauge remains a bit of a Cinderella product and deserves a lot more positive press

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The show Justin is referring to was many years ago. Peter's website says both transfig and lyra.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
My photo record shows Silverstone 2010 Brinkmann Graham Orpheus NAT SE2SE. Bristol 2011 Brinkmann Graham Orpheus NAT Transmitter.

Here's a bad iPhone 4 video from Bristol. Shows the cool power supply.

StickMan451

Aug 11, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Great thread! I just purchased a Kronos Pro Limited (044) with the Black Beauty arm and a TW Acustic Raven AC with the Raven 10.5 arm, Black Knight footers, and upgraded round motor with controller. Both of my new tables are scheduled for delivery and setup in mid May.

I have three cartridges for this setup. First is a SoundSmith Sussurro, second is a Miyajima Shilable, and third is a Miyajim Zero Mono. I already have a Dynavector 507 MKII arm and will probably put that on the AC and use the Zero on it. Here's the question; which arm/table should I put the Sussurro and Shilable on?

I have a Audio Research Ref Phono 2se (two inputs) and my pre, the Hovland HP-100 has one built-in phono input (will probably run the Zero Mono into the Hovland phono. Speakers are the Magnepan 20.7's. Thoughts and recommendations?

StickMan451

Aug 11, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Getting a Kronos and a TW Raven AC

Great thread! I just purchased a Kronos Pro Limited (044) with the Black Beauty arm and a TW Acustic Raven AC with the Raven 10.5 arm, Black Knight footers, and upgraded round motor with controller. Both of my new tables are scheduled for delivery and setup in mid May.

I have three cartridges for this setup. First is a SoundSmith Sussurro, second is a Miyajima Shilable, and third is a Miyajim Zero Mono. I already have a Dynavector 507 MKII arm and will probably put that on the AC and use the Zero on it. Here's the question; which arm/table should I put the Sussurro and Shilable on?

I have a Audio Research Ref Phono 2se (two inputs) and my pre, the Hovland HP-100 has one built-in phono input (will probably run the Zero Mono into the Hovland phono. Speakers are the Magnepan 20.7's. Thoughts and recommendations?

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE

Great stuff to come and great music also. Curious to know your tests with both tables. I have an AC. With the 3 motors in a round shape and battery power supply. You should try the BN platter it is a good jump in sq.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing