New Gryphon EOS MK2's Speakers Mind Blowing Sound

Laurusri

Nov 14, 2022
Greetings to all, this is my first post on this forum.
I listened to the EOS 2 speakers yesterday, the official presentation is scheduled for the end of next week, but since I came to the shop unannounced, I had the opportunity to hear what these small speakers can do before.
Darin (coowner of Audiodream, official representative of Gryphon for Croatia) prepared the latest preamp from Naim and Essence amp to drive EOS 2 speakers.
First, I would mention the external look of the speaker, which at first I didn't like at all in the photos I saw, because it looks different from all the speakers that Gryphon has presented so far, but in person the speaker looks much nicer, I would dare to say that it is even very nice, although beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
What is interesting is that the speaker looks smaller than it is in reality, it does not dominate the space like, for example, the Mojo S.
Even at first glance, you can see that the speaker is of high quality made without compromise and solid, and as is usual with Gryphon products, attention is paid to every detail.
Sound hmm. With the speaker connected to the system only a few minutes before I entered the listening room the sound was fantastic, I spent 2 maybe 3 hours listening to the EOS 2, I'm not sure 2 or 3 because I enjoyed it and was amazed at how such relatively small speakers can deliver such a big the sound, good stage, the highs were pleasant, airy, soft, natural, I was honestly afraid how such a big Be tweeter would play, but it plays fantastically.
Bass was quite convincing despite the small bass membrane and the small volume of the speaker box.
As for the musical repertoire, we listened to as many different songs as possible, the EOS 2 was excellent with all of them, and I was most impressed when we listened to Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake.
I have to mention again that these are speakers fresh out of the box so I expect them to be even better the second week at the presentation.
I also must mention that two more experienced audiophiles, also owners of Gryphon equipment, visited the shop, one who has a Mojo S commented that his speaker can't do this, the other is the owner of a Pantheon and didn't say much probably because his jaw was on the floor, he later commented that this sounds good enough as far as he is concerned, and that you wouldn't ask for more from such a 'small' speaker for that price. WhatsApp Image 2023-03-16 at 20.37.08(2).jpeg
I can't wait for the official presentation next week. And maybe I'll go in the meantime.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
They are beautiful IMO, the entire system is….

Reactions: FDPDK

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Cool. Looks similar to Sonus Faber speakers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Laurusri!

Laurusri

Nov 14, 2022
As I promised, I would continue the review of EOS2 speakers, due to work commitments I was not able to be present at the presentation, but I made up for it yesterday.

In this case, the distributor prepared a similar setup, the only difference was that instead of a Naim preamp it was a Linn Klimax, everything took place in a different room than the last time.

We started listening sessin with Madonna!!! with her hit Vogue, I was surprised by the choice, but immediately in the intro of the song I understood what the distributor was aiming for, in the intro of the song that I have heard hundreds of times, voices and sounds are heard approximately 3 meters from the speakers, as if we have surround speakers placed around the room, that was more pronounced on the right side where there is free space.

After that we got serious :) And started listening to Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Mahler, the recordings alternated and the enthusiasm grew bigger and bigger, the stage was big, in the depth you could easily 'see' the symphony orchestra, and the speakers were completely disappeared in the room, it was most obvious on the recording Leopold Stokowski – Rhapsodies, Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 In C-Sharp Minor.
Although the relatively small speaker proved to be excellent for listening to classical music, the speed of the sound during the crescendo is impressive, and the deepest tones when listening sounded correctly, there was no loss of control and disintegration of the sound image in any situation, which is probably the merit of the power amp, in my opinion the most important thing is that what the speaker can play, it plays correctly, that it doesn't try to be a bigger speaker than it is, because that is very often the case it doesn't sound good.

I would also like to point out that I was very impressed by the sound of the violin in Vivaldi's Four Seasons – L'estate presto, the speed and intensity are fantastic, so we listened to it one more time.

After classical music, we moved on to lighter notes, rock, hard rock, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, on the recordings that I listened to countless times, I heard new details and was again delighted.

We ended the listening with jazz, E.S.T. and various jazz classics were also on the menu. Everything just sounded so good that 4 hours of listening flew by like minutes.

In the end, I would refer to the speaker set-up and placement in the space, the speakers were located approx. 0.5 meters from the back wall, separated by 2.5 meters, and the distance from the listening place to the speakers was 3 m. Before coming to listen, I agreed with Darin that we will play with the placement and settings for adjustment, the EOS2 has a switch with 3 positions on the back above the cable connections, and depending on the position, there is the possibility of additional adjustment, and the bass reflex opening can also be switched from the back to the front.

When we started listening to the music, the music simply drew us in, and when after 2 hours we remembered that we could try something else, we just didn't feel like to do anything, this sounded fantastically good. To correct myself, at the beginning I listened to the sounds, the sound of the violin, the sound of the piano, etc., after a while I didn't notice the sounds, I listened to the music.

The next day we talked on the phone and the distributor told me that by placing the speakers closer to the back wall, he got an even powerfull sound???!!! Namely, when we listened to Enter Sandman by Metallica, the sound lacked a bit of 'power', maybe one nuance that we might not have even looked for if everything else wasn't fantastic, we were simply looking for any flaw in the sound. Since the distributor is very handy/skilled, you can see in the pictures how he completed the sound picture with an additional guitar .

My conclusion is that it is a extraordinary speaker that is designed for all musical genres, so it is an all-rounder intended for placement against the back wall with great fine-tuning options.

In the last year, I have heard a lot of good systems and speakers, some even at home, but the EOS2 impressed me the most.

As the title says its 'blows my mind'. WhatsApp Image 2023-04-21 at 12.08.12(4).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-04-21 at 12.08.12(2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-04-21 at 12.08.12.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-04-21 at 12.08.12(3).jpeg

Laurusri

Nov 14, 2022
A few more impressions from listening to the EOS 2 speakers ten days ago.

It is obvious that the speakers need a lot of time for burn-in because the sound impressions are better than last time, it is not a big improvement like last time, it primarily refers to the details, the creation of space and the depth of the stage, also the bass seems deeper but the changes are more obvious in the aforementioned areas.

The material we listened to consisted of the usual jazz standard repertoire, rock and ethno-jazz, mostly live recordings.
I already wrote before that the sound is impressive, but now it was a step above, it was most noticeable in live performances, Santana - live at the Fillmore – Soul sacrifice, Elvis from Hawaii – Fever and Suspicious minds, E.S.T live in Hamburg - Behind The Yashmak, and many others we listened to felt like we had a private concert, and the performers were at our fingertips.

Last time I mentioned that the distributor changed the positions of the speakers, but put everything back to the original place until the speaker reaches the end of the burn-in phase, he says that only then will he play with the positions of the speakers in the room.

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-16 at 14.15.05(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-16 at 14.15.04.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-05-16 at 14.15.05.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-05-16 at 14.15.04(1).jpeg

As you can see, the guitar was on its stand, there was no need for any interventions.

Reactions: FDPDK and hogen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing