ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I must have missed something. . . . "Below absolute zero is HOTTER than the same system at any positive temperature?????"

I know advanced calculus has been my foible in physics, but WTF??

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
I must have missed something. . . . "Below absolute zero is HOTTER than the same system at any positive temperature?????"

I know advanced calculus has been my foible in physics, but WTF??

Normal 'hotness' is about particle movement, perhaps below absolute zero there is another mechanism in play ?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Note that this doesn't mean the resulting system is actually cold, however. Nothing can be colder than absolute zero, which is a theoretical state at which particles have no energy at all. On the contrary, a system with a sub-zero absolute temperature is actually hotter than the same system at any positive temperature – a perverse result of how absolute temperature has been defined.

As we make more inroads into quantum physics we will be discovering more and more such paradoxes, which eventually will lead to redefining the status quo. On the macro scale, you may have seen Steve's videos of what happens when traveling at the speed of light, like everything looking warped, or being able to see your back when looking forward; BTW, there is an MIT computer game that shows this http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hurts my head just to think of it.... adding energy results in a decrease of energy? The link to the full article didn't work for me, but they did not say how many degrees above absolute zero they started at before dropping to a few billionth of a degree below zero. I wonder how much energy it took, because the jump from near zero entropy to near infinite entropy would have to be massive.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
From Nature magazine's coverage on this http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-gas-goes-below-absolute-zero-1.12146

Another peculiarity of the sub-absolute-zero gas is that it mimics 'dark energy', the mysterious force that pushes the Universe to expand at an ever-faster rate against the inward pull of gravity. Schneider notes that the attractive atoms in the gas produced by the team also want to collapse inwards, but do not because the negative absolute temperature stabilises them. “It’s interesting that this weird feature pops up in the Universe and also in the lab,” he says. “This may be something that cosmologists should look at more closely.”

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing