New Ethernet Noise Control from CAD

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
Just saw the press release on EAR.net. Scott is releasing his long awaited Ethernet noise control. We have been big fans of the CAD group so am excited to experiment with the device.

CAD Ethernet Control Announcement

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Interesting reviews. I wonder how all these would compare using a device that was capable of being fed by both copper or optical? Would a well managed optical path to said device be sonically better?

Republicoftexas69

It works well. RG wrote a review about it.

The EE1 works well. I have it in front of my fiber feeding clean data signal to my TeraDak TS212. Have the iFi device coming from my modem to my switch through the OnQ, These inexpensive little modification made a substantial difference in my streaming signal quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: NaimYourTubes

Republicoftexas69

Interesting reviews. I wonder how all these would compare using a device that was capable of being fed by both copper or optical? Would a well managed optical path to said device be sonically better?
SHort answer is yes I have the EE1 on the dirty side feeding my TeraDak TS212. Clean copper in, clean fiber out!

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
What do you hear. How much affect. Any negatives? Like, does it sound hifi?
How much effort have you put into the rest of your infrastructure to support streaming. What have you done for the modem and router. What have you done for the switch.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

What do you hear. How much affect. Any negatives? Like, does it sound hifi?
How much effort have you put into the rest of your infrastructure to support streaming. What have you done for the modem and router. What have you done for the switch.
Yes it sounds like hi-fi. Zenith, LesLoss Echos End R., I hear music and no noise. Don’t make it complicated get on try it, if you don’t like it send it back. Jeepers.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Does anyone have something real to say.

Republicoftexas69

Does anyone have something real to say.
Sure, put as much effort into my streaming as you have, within my budget. So what do you want a review? That’s not me, it worked in my system, this is all subjective and you should find out for yourself. YMMV, later.

Reactions: sbo6 and skids929

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I think roy described it well in his review. I have beenusing the Aardvark and I think the CAD does a better job. It gets rid of the noise. I use it at the input of my Wadax.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I tried an EM50 or something as such. I also tried a Gigafoil feed with a stock power supply and a LPS. One just made it worse and one sounded hifi. Not a sound I was looking for.

I already have LPS to my modem and router and switch. All are plugged into a Torus. I don't use fancy cables. Blue Jeans ethernet. I think my digital is pretty good. I have many files or albums I stream that are very similar to my vinyl. A good digital file is very satisfying. A bad one is bad. Same for vinyl. Bad vinyl is sort of worse than bad digital. Maybe just bad in a different way.

I am curious how much attention others have paid to getting good streaming. What is the foundation of their system before inserting a ethernet line filter. That could be a factor.

I have seen other devices like this. Lots of choices from maybe $300 and up.

I had to stop reading the Roy review. Here is a guy with a Wadax and another decent digital system and without the devices he is saying his digital is almost unlistenable. Even with stored files. And once the device is in, its music. I then forced myself to finish reading it and looked at his infrastructure on page 2 again. It was a very predictable review. Spend more get more. I did see he had a switch to each system. That seems it. We know nothing about his modem and router. I have to assume its completely stock. Maybe an all in one unit as well as a wifi. Many people here go to more exhausting measures to make this as good as can be. I did. Maybe thats why the etheret devices I tried were a step backwards.

FWIW without looking deeper into the author, we know nothing about what powers his system. I have seen some pretty weak power at reviewers places. I have seen excellent power. That is going to impact results too. Noise comes from both utilities, power and data as well as the air.

He did talk about stacking filters. I have seen the same with stacking switches. On some level I wonder if I would get less, the same or better if I were to insert a Etherregen into my digital on top of my Linear Solution switch. Who knows. Maybe the ethernet filters I tried were of lesser quality. They were hand me downs from other systems where they were not a benefit.

I am not trying to downgrade or insult CAD or a dealer posting on a new product. I'm asking questions. If this is suppose to be a dealer thread of drop a product launch and no one talks about it other than saying buy it. Sorry to interup.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Sounds like a direct comparison with the Muon Pro filter is needed.

Does this negate the impact of a switch?

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Why does a comparison have to be a filter. I have a good switch. Whats the difference. A galvanicly isolating switch is acting as a filter as well as reclocking the signal. I have no idea how an ethernet filter works. Honestly, I don't really know what is going on inside a switch either. But I have experienced the gain a good switch brings. I have also very much heard what happens when you get a separate modem and router. As well as their uptick with clean power. It all goes back to building out a good electrical infrastructure. A piece of that is the data backbone and how that is managed. I always give the data equipment a dedicated circuit and suggest a small isolation transformer to power it. Sure there is a cost involved in doing that. I personally feel its the proper way. Once that work is done, go ahead and try a inline ethernet filter. It may be a gain. It may end up a choke point. Or may be just a change or nothing at all. Having a well executed power supply with good data equipment and a purpose built switch for audio may be the reason both devices I tried were not a benefit. Does not mean something else added to it might not be a benefit. It might just be the stuff I tried was not of a high enough quality. I have heard CAD makes good stuff. I know people that like their ground boxes.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Why does a comparison have to be a filter. I have a good switch. Whats the difference.

That is why the comparison. To answer your question (in some way).

Many of us have both a switch and a filter. Some only a switch. So the application for potential buyers is whether it would supersede vs supplement their switch between the switch and the final destination. For those in the latter category, they can already use one of the existing filters on the market... and that would be the most analogous to what this ethernet control does.

Folks have used products like the JCAT, Emosystems, iFi, Network Acoustics etc ethernet filters and this seems to directly compete in that space.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
That is why the comparison. To answer your question (in some way).

Many of us have both a switch and a filter. Some only a switch. So the application for potential buyers is whether it would supersede vs supplement their switch between the switch and the final destination. For those in the latter category, they can already use one of the existing filters on the market... and that would be the most analogous to what this ethernet control does.

Folks have used products like the JCAT, Emosystems, iFi, Network Acoustics etc ethernet filters and this seems to directly compete in that space.
Agree. I tried a couple filters in my digital setup after doing what I could to the foundation in my budget range.

I started out asking, can anyone give more details. I was told the review by Roy was through. I found the review obnoxious. I would love to hear what attention to detail people have put into the foundation power/data and what results switches and filters then bring. And it would be interesting to know the similarly and difference between stacking switches or a switch and filter. Switches make more sense to me since they are isolated as well as reclocking the signal. To often I find filters make a black background that is unnatural. Sometimes the sound stage collapses and dynamics are replaced by a silk cover. Its a type of sound. Or it gets a hifi sound thats hard to explain. Its not my flavor. Not all by any means. I'm open minded.

I will end by saying, filters seem very dependent on what is fed to them. They are hard to asses what you will hear from system to system as people don't take a standardized approach to powering a stereo system, or the data equipment into the house. Unfortunately the old just try it has legs. But I could name 20 other tweeks totaling tens of thousands of $$$% if I chased that cats tail.

Republicoftexas69

Agree. I tried a couple filters in my digital setup after doing what I could to the foundation in my budget range.

I started out asking, can anyone give more details. I was told the review by Roy was through. I found the review obnoxious. I would love to hear what attention to detail people have put into the foundation power/data and what results switches and filters then bring. And it would be interesting to know the similarly and difference between stacking switches or a switch and filter. Switches make more sense to me since they are isolated as well as reclocking the signal. To often I find filters make a black background that is unnatural. Sometimes the sound stage collapses and dynamics are replaced by a silk cover. Its a type of sound. Or it gets a hifi sound thats hard to explain. Its not my flavor. Not all by any means. I'm open minded.

I will end by saying, filters seem very dependent on what is fed to them. They are hard to assess what you will hear from system to system as people don't take a standardized approach to powering a stereo system, or the data equipment into the house. Unfortunately the old just try it has legs. But I could name 20 other tweeks totaling tens of thousands of $$$% if I chased that cats tail.
Please do share. I am feeding all my switches clean (LPS) power and have quality CAT8 cable throughout my home and yet this simple $250 EE1 made a difference and I convert from copper to fiber and it was HQ Hi-Fi sound before. I am thinking of trying the CAD to see if there is even more to gain. If you have other solutions I am all ears.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Please do share. I am feeding all my switches clean (LPS) power and have quality CAT8 cable throughout my home and yet this simple $250 EE1 made a difference and I convert from copper to fiber and it was HQ Hi-Fi sound before. I am thinking of trying the CAD to see if there is even more to gain. If you have other solutions I am all ears.
I hope you are not feeling a need to be defensive? I'm on the side of hearing what a CAD filter will do. I want to hear from people who have done the foundation work with the data utility like you have. I would add a isolation transformer like a Torus TOT or a Triplite to feed your LPS.

I would very much know what the difference is between stacking switches like Etherregen or others. And having a good switch, then stacking a CAD on top.

For me personally In want to know the compare of stacked switches to switch/filter. The switch/filter just might win out.

Republicoftexas69

I hope you are not feeling a need to be defensive? I'm on the side of hearing what a CAD filter will do. I want to hear from people who have done the foundation work with the data utility like you have. I would add a isolation transformer like a Torus TOT or a Triplite to feed your LPS.

I would very much know what the difference is between stacking switches like Etherregen or others. And having a good switch, then stacking a CAD on top.

For me personally In want to know the compare of stacked switches to switch/filter. The switch/filter just might win out.
Not at all, I am one of those guys says live and let die. ;) I was really curious as you have an electrical background. Been a long time since my circuits class in undergrad for my BSME. I actually have an old Furman I can try. Thanks Rex, Jeff.

Republicoftexas69

Rex made a difference adding the Furman to my modem/switch in my OnQ. Now to stack another switch to see how that stacks up. Filters are still in place. Based on the research done by the gents at Alpha-Audio I will add an additional 108e net gear switch. Then A/B with and without the EE1 in the chain. https://www.alpha-audio.net/review/a-very-deep-dive-into-network-switches-listening-and-measuring/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing