New Dedicated Listening Room

Another Johnson, others who moved to help kids and gave up their home and preferred living location . . .

When you move across the country because your kids ask for help* they don't pay you a monthly expense reimbursement or an outright stipend or something?

*Why don't they pay for their own childcare needs in the first place?
:eek:

The room is roughly 30 feet deep by 20 feet wide.
I think you would do fine with that room. Speakers at the end with the 2 windows and you will workout the acoustic treatments as you go along.

You can get your speakers 10' center to center and still have 5' to the wall/ceiling intersection.
I would take a chair and a roll of masking tape up there and layout a beginning.

I believe I have seen you on the AudioShark website. If you haven't already, go there and look at the home listening room of Mike the owner of the site and Suncoast Audio. He has basically the same shape but smaller. He seems to make it work quite well.
You could ask him how he overcame his acoustic issues. He is quite friendly and helpful.

Thanks Brad. I will reach out to Mike. Good to know.

I think that the room may be really good … I did not intend to throw cold water on it. Vertical standing waves are taken out of the list of possible issues. :D

The width is a plus. Since the floor is flexible (not poured concrete) that might introduce some support vibration issues. One of my knee wall rooms was over a garage and I had to work vibration issues for both tube amps and turntables. There are always things to sort out.

I think that the room may be really good … I did not intend to throw cold water on it. Vertical standing waves are taken out of the list of possible issues. :D

The width is a plus. Since the floor is flexible (not poured concrete) that might introduce some support vibration issues. One of my knee wall rooms was over a garage and I had to work vibration issues for both tube amps and turntables. There are always things to sort out.
I cried for about 10 minutes. My therapist audio buddy got me off the ledge. He said hes coming on this forum/thread to set people straight.

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Mike said its hard. Position the speakers first where they are fast and dynamic. It is best to use a mic to find the sweet spot.

Does flattening out the center help?

Mike said its hard. Position the speakers first where they are fast and dynamic. It is best to use a mic to find the sweet spot.

Does flattening out the center help?
With having OBs (like many dipoles) they at least tell you fairly obviously when they are dialled in right. Would probably be good to make some videos of your current setup with reference pieces of music as a starting benchmark for helping with your recall… and obviously avoid changing anything within the system that you’re running with now till you’ve got the room characteristics sussed out.

I shifted my OBs from a well proportioned symmetrical mostly single skin brick room to another of similar shape and size but with more percentage of glazing and with large glazing panels on the front wall and some loss of bass extension and (to a lesser degree) bass articulation became a casualty. For me with OBs getting bass so it can also be appropriately angular when the music is angular and not just hanging on by leaning the characteristic balance too much into flow can be quite a critical quality with music presentation especially with OBs and tubes.

Bass/mid bass in a two way and coherence with the wide ranger is critical and the fine difference comes with dialing in an OB dipole speaker setup and fundamental in getting to their strength and rightness… getting there is the switch to letting go of analysis and just tuning into the music.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing