Apr 20, 2010
New York City
deleted

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
You dog! Very nice. A few times I came very close to acquiring an ACT II. Did the cat come with the CJ?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
for cat lovers.

Attachments

• Funny%20Kitty..jpg
    Funny%20Kitty..jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 739

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice one...Myles, are these replacing the MLs? Or just for review?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Looks great Myles. Gotta love that CJ gear. Nothing satisfies like Conrad Johnson!

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Who knows, maybe I'll make it all the way over there to visit one day! ;)

Dre

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Congratulations Myles, the CJ Gat & Art amps are lovely tube amps. If I was going tubes & had the space, that would be the way i'd go. Awesome setup...thanks for sharing it! :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congratulations Myles, the CJ Gat & Art amps are lovely tube amps. If I was going tubes & had the space, that would be the way i'd go. Awesome setup...thanks for sharing it! :)

Definitely a big +1 on the CJ GAT!...would love to hear the ART amps some day.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
One morphed into the other. And I wasn't a Magico fan until they arrived in my listening room. Yes, they are that good.

Assuming 'morphed' means you are keeping them...congrats! They are tremendous speakers. They are clearly Magico heritage...but I really like the balance of all its attributes somehow better than the Qs. I respect the Qs a lot, and maybe they have more resolution...I don't know. But I CAN say I have enjoyed every time I listened to the S5s in terms of the balance of its overall presentation.

I will be most curious as to how the limited edition M7 sounds...perhaps a Q7 balanced like your amazing S5?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
One morphed into the other. And I wasn't a Magico fan until they arrived in my listening room. Yes, they are that good.

It's important to be open-minded! Beautiful!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What's stopping you? :)

a mighty Gryphon...;) To be honest, if I go with Arrakis someday, I'm gonna need the Gryphon having spoken with Andy Payor about his mighty flagship. If I stay with Wilson, then I am either extremely happy right where I am, or I could certainly explore the synergy of all-CJ.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The million dollar question? My guess it'll be more like the Q than S series especially with the new tweeter. Alon is among other things, very focused on reducing colorations. I think that comes through as what I like to call the speaker's "settling time" (yes I stole that from KOJ describing the design of his amps.) The Magico S5s are to my ears are just audibly quieter than other speakers I've heard. And that quality would be even more apparent with solid-state amplification. That in part really allows the speakers to resolve more info in my case off LPs and especially a hi Rez medium like 15 ips tape like never before. One hears so much more information that it's scary.

Take for instance the opening heartbeat on DSOTM. For the first time one can actually hear and feel the heart expanding and contracting, the heart pumping with a thump and the heart rate actually subtly speeding up and slowing down. Or you hear more of the musicians, especially on live jazz recordings, of the musicians talking, singing or humming along with the music. Or more of the audience talking. Most of all, there's just a realism to the tone and body of instruments, especially in the lower octaves. All of which just adds up to a feeling of being transported back to the original recording session.

But perhaps more than ever, the Magicos just reinforced one thing that audiophiles often forget: you really don't know what something sounds like until you hear it in your system. Forget shows, forget dealers. Home is where it begins and ends!

Great stuff, Myles...that sounds fantastic, and the way you describe the DSOTM opening is probably going to have half of us go running back to the album this afternoon! But your point is extremely well taken...I think we are in an era where there is truly some magnificent equipment at all levels, which have managed to dig out a trove of new information off older formats (even as new formats have been introduced)...and do so in a way that oftentimes is no longer artificially 'etched'.

And that has come from designs really being pushed alongside demanding use of anti-magnetic, anti-vibration, etc...to really reduce distortions. And as one area has been pushed, others have pushed elsewhere to match...so source, then cables, then speakers, then amps, then isolation, then all over again.

The most notable improvements I have noted is how quiet and coherent lots of the latest equipment has become in the last 3-4 years.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
The million dollar question? My guess it'll be more like the Q than S series especially with the new tweeter. Alon is among other things, very focused on reducing colorations. I think that comes through as what I like to call the speaker's "settling time" (yes I stole that from KOJ describing the design of his amps.) The Magico S5s are to my ears are just audibly quieter than other speakers I've heard. And that quality would be even more apparent with solid-state amplification. That in part really allows the speakers to resolve more info in my case off LPs and especially a hi Rez medium like 15 ips tape like never before. One hears so much more information that it's scary.

Take for instance the opening heartbeat on DSOTM. For the first time one can actually hear and feel the heart expanding and contracting, the heart pumping with a thump and the heart rate actually subtly speeding up and slowing down. Or you hear more of the musicians, especially on live jazz recordings, of the musicians talking, singing or humming along with the music. Or more of the audience talking. Most of all, there's just a realism to the tone and body of instruments, especially in the lower octaves. All of which just adds up to a feeling of being transported back to the original recording session.

But perhaps more than ever, the Magicos just reinforced one thing that audiophiles often forget: you really don't know what something sounds like until you hear it in your system. Forget shows, forget dealers. Home is where it begins and ends!

First of all, while it may be off topic, and on a personal note, CONGRATULATIONS to you and Heidi!

Great as your CJ's are, in my opinion you've not really maximized the performance of Magico's until driven by a good solid state amp, and that's coming from a 30 plus year ARC loyalist. Hegel, Krell e series and most notably Constellation blend beautifully with the Q series, clearly outperforming the ARC Ref 250's with a Q3. I just feel that the load Magico's present are just not friendly to tube amps. May be a different story though with the S series. Just my 2 cents worth....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing