JMF HQS 7001 Amplifier Review (Stereophile)

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
Reactions: Verdier

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
While the review was very positive overall, at this price point, one might anticipate less simple and more attractive exterior design.

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
Perhaps they will offer updated casework in a MkII version. Of course at a significant price increase.

Reactions: PhP

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
While the review was very positive overall, at this price point, one might anticipate less simple and more attractive exterior design.
You can see it like this.

But there will be quite a few people who would never buy large Gryphon or Boulder, Vitus, Pass or similar amps simply because they find the look unpleasant or even brutal. Or because they don't want an amp that they can't actually move on their own.

I think the look and dimensions of the JMF devices are marvellous (although I only have a JMF mains filter myself and otherwise huge, heavy devices from Aries Cerat).

I myself only buy from one point of view: sound quality. I can understand people who also want a discreet look. But I have no sympathy for somehow "blowing up" the visual appearance for a given sound quality. I therefore very much hope that any future visual changes will be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhP and hogen

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

But there will be quite a few people who would never buy large Gryphon or Boulder, Vitus, Pass or similar amps simply because they find the look unpleasant or even brutal. Or because they don't want an amp that they can't actually move on their own.

I think the look and dimensions of the JMF devices are marvellous (although I only have a JMF mains filter myself and otherwise huge, heavy devices from Aries Cerat).

I myself only buy from one point of view: sound quality. I can understand people who also want a discreet look. But I have no sympathy for somehow "blowing up" the visual appearance for a given sound quality. I therefore very much hope that any future visual changes will be made.
Sorry, I think you got me wrong, for attractive box design you don’t have too be monstrous size or in your face like d'agostino amp.
look at accuphase, dcs, ch, boulder, goldmund, ypsilon and others for attracting “box” design. When you spend this amount of money you can and should expect more.

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
@exupgh12
OK, I see. Especially Soulution or the original CH Precision design are good examples of a very valuable yet restrained look. In the case of Boulder, the design of the last series rather than the current one - and some of them fail because of their sheer size (3060 looks terrible).

Reactions: PhP and hogen

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
I'm kind of surprised that so many of these replies are focused on looks. I happen to agree with Verdier in that the JMF Audio equipment looks very nice. I personally don't see much difference between the JMF cosmetics and the cosmetics of some other high-end brands.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
JMF Audio are one of the few who's monoblock amps are not just a bridged stereo amp.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr

Style is very personal and I find JMF quite pleasant and well finished. I find some other brands beautiful but will not buy them because of the sound, some have average look but sound terrific. I listened to JMF 9001, they are very good but they are not exceptional for me. Sometimes US magazine discover a French high-end product and they like the balance, dynamics, neutrality. Audiophiles should listen for themselves and make their own opinion.

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
In the end, sound is a question of taste.

I can acknowledge, for example, that CH Precision sounds neutral, or let's say: has no obvious colouration. Above all, it is very high-resolution - there is certainly nothing to hold back. Nevertheless, it lacks important high-end attributes for me. I don't get any physical presence and it usually sounds to my ears as if the musicians don't feel like making music. Other people praise CHP.

So far, I've listened to the JMF Phonostage and found them very good - not that I absolutely had to have them, but definitely really good and involving. It just didn't really fit into my chain at the time. And just as I don't like CHP, someone else might not like JMF (or whatever). There can be no general recommendations because everyone listens differently.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I think difference in hearing is quite small but it depends on countries way of listening. This is less the case now than 30 years ago. I'm not a big fan of CHP nor JMF for different reasons. If you live in Europe, come and listen to Apurna, you may be surprised.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
JMF Audio are one of the few who's monoblock amps are not just a bridged stereo amp.
I know a lot of mono blocks amplifiers that are not bridged stereo amp.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
@exupgh12
OK, I see. Especially Soulution or the original CH Precision design are good examples of a very valuable yet restrained look. In the case of Boulder, the design of the last series rather than the current one - and some of them fail because of their sheer size (3060 looks terrible).
I appreciate style like Boulder, Constellation or some that are quite different than rectangular boxes more or less refined. D'Agostino is impressive in real life (I see it at Munich 2023) but Captain Nemo look is not my taste. Some are not beautiful but are fine because of the high quality of the materials, finishes. This said, very few brands, even expensive use a true stylist to have a real aesthetic vision. All are in house "stylist" or Engineers that do the job. I worked many decades for a car company, style is never done by Engineers. On the contrary, these car companies use very young stylists (from different countries and continents) to invent something new.

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
If you live in Europe, come and listen to Apurna, you may be surprised
I don't have time for something like this if it doesn't take place at my home or in the immediate vicinity.

Irrespective of this, I find these devices visually very bad.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I don't have time for something like this if it doesn't take place at my home or in the immediate vicinity.

Irrespective of this, I find these devices visually very bad.
Where do you live?

Your appreciation of APURNA style is your, it's not the comments I get as feedback. Also sonically they are the best I listened to. I do not say that because I sell APURNA, it's because I find them so good that I sell them and stop all other brand I had in the past.

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Sorry, this is a JMF thread. You are welcome to open a thread about Apurna and explain the ideas behind it and its implementation.

Reactions: hogen

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Sorry, this is a JMF thread. You are welcome to open a thread about Apurna and explain the ideas behind it and its implementation.
ok, but where do you live? are you private or professional?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing