New category products

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'd like to see TRINNOV, ARC & Audyssey improvements. Sound Quality wise and easier operation as well. :)
...Better quality mics and more user adjustments.

Ya baby, only what's best! :D

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I'd like to see Harman come up with a pre-pro having similar features and price to an Onkyo 5508, but with 4 sub outputs and the equivalent of a JBL BassQ inside to support the multi-sub approach. Only one mic need be provided to minimize cost at the expense of requiring the user to move the mic during the calibration procedure.
Seems likely except for the price.;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Only one mic position measurement won't cut it though! ...You do need several.
...Even with Trinnov. And JBL Synthesis. And ARC.

But a better mic (metal) would be nice to be included with the product! :)

* By the way, the Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre/pro can be found (with some research) for about $1,600 USD! :cool:

andy_c

Sep 24, 2010
www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org
Only one mic position measurement won't cut it though! ...You do need several.
...Even with Trinnov. And JBL Synthesis. And ARC.

But a better mic (metal) would be nice to be included with the product! :)

* By the way, the Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre/pro can be found (with some research) for about $1,600 USD! :cool:

Yes, of course, more than one mic position is a necessity. What I was referring to is that the JBL BassQ comes with 4 mics. You place them, then run the calibration algorithm, which runs without interruption. But this seems wasteful in terms of cost. Better, I think, to have one mic and require the user to move it to the various positions desired as the cal procedure runs. So multiple positions are required per the BassQ and other calibration techniques, but this could be accomplished at less cost with one mic, by having an interactive calibration procedure that prompts the user to move the mic as needed.

That's a great price on the 5508. I may ask you about that later this year when I move into a house.

If Harman were to make such a pre-pro, it would make no sense if its street price were more than the street price of the Onkyo plus $795 (the street price of the BassQ at Amazon).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Andy,

I thought that you might have meant something else regarding the mic. I was simply not too sure and gambled on it.
Now I just learned something new; four mics that come with JBL BassQ system.

And I fully agree with you, it is an extraneous expense. Four cumulative mic position measurements from only one mic would be better passed on the consumer as a smart saving.

* By the time you move into a house later this year, the Onkyo PR-SC5509 might be just around!
...With all eleven channels plus two subwoofers running simultaneously (Rear channels + Audyssey DSX with both Wide & Height channels).
- Keep that in mind, and the 5508 should be attractively priced as a consequence. :)

Cheers,
Bob

Seta

Dec 7, 2010
Devialet

If the hypes surrounding the Devialet D-Premier are true, I'm tempting to just sell all my equipments (transports, USB converter, digital interconnects, analog interconnects, DACs, preamp, amplifiers, and rack) and use money to buy the D-premier and a pair of really good speakers like a Sasha or Magico Q3. Use my Mac as source, stream music via Wifi to it.

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
I'm in the process of doing the same. Just a pair of Magico Q1s, a pair of wall-mounted Devialet D-Premier units (to the rear of the loudspeakers) and a MacBook Pro. No floor-mounted electronics, short speaker leads, no interconnects, laptop control of sources and "Air" streaming. Concentrate on getting the room acoustics correct and listening to the right material.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing