Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
My apologies Birdwatcher, i haven't tried any of those on your list

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
as soon as Dava arrives!
Those Confluence Double Bass horns look fantastic.
How are you progressing with their fine tuning?

Reactions: kodomo

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thank you for your discreet pm Kodomo. I will be getting back to you once I've completed my chores?
I understand and respect your desire to adhere to forum rules and conventions re advertising one's own product.
But those fantastic looking speakers really deserve a thread of their own!

Reactions: mtemur and kodomo

alfredbokrand

Jan 9, 2022
Antequera Spain
as soon as Dava arrives!
Hello,
my Ortofon 12" tonearms have been given the highest ratings by my customers since 2013. I never give a rating about my tonearms myself. I let my customers do that. I have now made an Ortofon 12" tonearm especially for the DAVA cartridge . equipped with a 5-pin headshell and 5-pin headshell connector. Once the DAVA is mounted on my supplied 5-pin headshell, you can swap the DAVA for an SME type 4-pin headshell in a matter of seconds
and does not have to remove the DAVA cartridge first.

As always, everything is made by me by hand and with a lot of love for detail. I am a German broadcast engineer and have 50 years of experience (I'm 73 years old now).

in coordination with Darius Valiunas

Hi Darius,

the headshell for the DAVA has 5 pins the 5th pin is positive for the 12V and your recommendation is to connect ground to the negative pole of the PSU, the DAVA gets the 12V negative via the ground. For the upper contact with the DAVA I have provided 2 contact surfaces on the headshell .

Best regards

Alfred

Hi Alfred.Carridge body has unconducted paint.Only cartridge screws much for electric contact to shell.

Best reg Darius

Attachments

• DAVA 5 pin connector.JPG
    DAVA 5 pin connector.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3401 B.jpg
    IMG_3401 B.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3651.JPG
    IMG_3651.JPG
    563 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3656.JPG
    IMG_3656.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3662.JPG
    IMG_3662.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    799.6 KB · Views: 18

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Hello,
my Ortofon 12" tonearms have been given the highest ratings by my customers since 2013. I never give a rating about my tonearms myself. I let my customers do that. I have now made an Ortofon 12" tonearm especially for the DAVA cartridge . equipped with a 5-pin headshell and 5-pin headshell connector. Once the DAVA is mounted on my supplied 5-pin headshell, you can swap the DAVA for an SME type 4-pin headshell in a matter of seconds

As always, everything is made by me by hand and with a lot of love for detail. I am a German broadcast engineer and have 50 years of experience (I'm 73 years old now).

in coordination with Darius Valiunas

Hi Darius,

the headshell for the DAVA has 5 pins the 5th pin is positive for the 12V and your recommendation is to connect ground to the negative pole of the PSU, the DAVA gets the 12V negative via the ground. For the upper contact with the DAVA I have provided 2 contact surfaces on the headshell .

Best regards

Alfred

Hi Alfred.Carridge body has unconducted paint.Only cartridge screws much for electric contact to shell.

Best reg Darius
How may I contact you for ordering this arm?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I have now made an Ortofon 12" tonearm especially for the DAVA cartridge . equipped with a 5-pin headshell and 5-pin headshell connector. Once the DAVA is mounted on my supplied 5-pin headshell, you can swap the DAVA for an SME type 4-pin headshell in a matter of seconds

Although it’s tempting to get rid of additional psu cables with this design, I highly suspect rightness of running 12VDC cable inside the tonearm together with micro voltage carrying MC signal cables. Electrical interference is inevitable let alone the effect of connecting negative to ground which may open new possibilities for hum. I don’t now the led’s operating voltage but I have the same consideration for DS Audio cartridges.

IMHO running separate psu cables over arm wand is a much better solution.

alfredbokrand

Jan 9, 2022
Antequera Spain
Although it’s tempting to get rid of additional psu cables with this design, I highly suspect rightness of running 12VDC cable inside the tonearm together with micro voltage carrying MC signal cables. Electrical interference is inevitable let alone the effect of connecting negative to ground which may open new possibilities for hum. I don’t now the led’s operating voltage but I have the same consideration for DS Audio cartridges.

IMHO running separate psu cables over arm wand is a much better solution.
A common ground is expressly recommended by Darius Valiunas's (creator of the DAVA cartridge)and is the best thing you can do. I am a German broadcast engineer and have more than 50 years of experience. A shielded fine cable is laid for the 12 volt plus DC voltage, which I took from the dismantled EMT tonearms have.

The ACR (Attenuation to Crosstalk Ratio) value indicates the relationship between near-end crosstalk and attenuation at a given frequency. With a shielded cable, however, the external influence is so small that it can be neglected. With unshielded cable, however, adjacent signal lines can also negatively affect the ACR.

When i publish something it is always based on physical laws or on professional measurements that can always be verified.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Can you rebuild other arms to this specification?
I like the idea of a plug and play solution. But i have no knowledge of the Ortofon arm.

alfredbokrand

Jan 9, 2022
Antequera Spain
I like the idea of a plug and play solution. But i have no knowledge of the Ortofon arm.
Hello,
i never make any recommendations or statements about my tonearms, i let my satisfied customers do that. i have been making and selling my 12" ortofon tonearms all over the world since 2013. if you go to ebay.com and enter 12"ortofon AS-309, you will find my current offers with lots of feedback from my customers. you will also find a lot of positive feedback here on Whats best under :Alfred bokrand

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
I am sorry, but I cannot find any connection to the thread theme. It should be about Miyabi Fuuga.
Please stay ontopic and write about it in another thread. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: tima

alfredbokrand

Jan 9, 2022
Antequera Spain
I am sorry, but I cannot find any connection to the thread theme. It should be about Miyabi Fuuga.
Please stay ontopic and write about it in another thread. Thanks a lot!
in this thread asks

infinitely baffled

and i have answered, what is wrong with that?

infinitely baffled said:

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Congratulations infinitely baffled.

The Fuuga is fine cartridge that works well on tonearms with a higher effective mass, such as the Kuzma 4Point. I found it sounding solid and dynamic with a sense of propulsive forward drive. Excellent midrange tonality with lower registers taut and natural without angularity. Top-end is firm, not overly airy and without etch but perhaps not quite as tippy-top extended as a vdH Master Sig. Well balanced, it is not a hi-fi hyper-resolution cartridge.

Out-of-the box, cantilever/stylus look perfectly straight. It does have an underhung cantilever/stylus, but alignment was not bad when using the mirrored surface of the Uni-Pro.

I really like the Fuuga.

View attachment 75896
View attachment 75899

View attachment 75898
Congratulations infinitely baffled.

The Fuuga is fine cartridge that works well on tonearms with a higher effective mass, such as the Kuzma 4Point. I found it sounding solid and dynamic with a sense of propulsive forward drive. Excellent midrange tonality with lower registers taut and natural without angularity. Top-end is firm, not overly airy and without etch but perhaps not quite as tippy-top extended as a vdH Master Sig. Well balanced, it is not a hi-fi hyper-resolution cartridge.

Out-of-the box, cantilever/stylus look perfectly straight. It does have an underhung cantilever/stylus, but alignment was not bad when using the mirrored surface of the Uni-Pro.

I really like the Fuuga.

View attachment 75896
View attachment 75899

View attachment 75898
Tima,

Beautiful pictures - the Fuuga looks great..!!

All the best

/ Jk

Reactions: tima

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
The cantilever/stylus does not come down very far from the body. The cantilever is short and does not protrude out very much; it is tucked back and does not overhang the body. This makes seeing it somewhat of a challenge mounted on a record during alignment. ymmv. Perhaps you can tell more from this stock picture:

View attachment 75900
Tima,

Very well explained. The same goes for all the Koetsu’s… They are a pain in the *** to align.. just because of the difficulty to see the cantilever during the aligning process.
Sometimes i wish I had a special ”telescopic-periscopic-microscope” vision built into my eyes… HAHAHA?!

All the best

/ Jk 5EC228E2-0EE6-4AE5-987D-49303A2C8768.jpeg B7617A8F-CD2C-42D8-81F0-F576E7887E90.jpeg

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Ooh that's a thing of beauty...
Is it the Blue Agate?

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Can someone describe the sonic character of a Fuuga in comparison to
- Stonebody Koetsu
- AirTight Opus 1
- Dynavector XV-1s or t
- Ortofon Anna, Anna Diamond, Verismo or Century?

Just to get an idea, in which direction it goes.
Dear Birdwatcher,

I haven’t heard the Fuuga, nor have I heard the Dynavector’s… What I do have heard and have in my arsenal right now, are the…

Koetsu Blue Lace
AirTight Opus-1
Ortofon MC Diamond

I also had the Ortofon Verismo here for over two intensive weeks in last February 2022.
-I’ll try to explain in short terms the differens they make in my particular system.

My workhorse is the BlueLace that sits on my Kuzma 4point. It is powerful in the bottom low end and deliver a mighty drive, the midrange is to die for and in my system it has the most wonderful top end. It works great with voices, acoustic instruments, with rock and pop music.. and (some jazz and classical music).

The Opus-1 sits on my Acoustic Signature TA-9000 12”arm and is not quite as powerful in the bottom as the Koetsu, but not far behind, which means that it’s bottom end can still give a hefty punch when the groovs provides it.
The mids is a little bit more open then the Koetsu, but still very airy and accurate and a beautiful balance overall. The top end on the Opus-1 is brighter and more briliant then the BlueLace, but not in anyway sharp… it is super smoth, yet very exact at the same time, and works very very well on all types of jazz and classical music. I do play all kinds of music on the Opus-1 too, but it really comes alive with jazz and classic.

The Verismo is a very neutral cartridge which not stick out in any direction. It’s quite analytical, but as I said, not over analytical.
I had it here, mounted on the Acoustic Signature Montana Neo turntable. The tonearm was the Acoustic Signature TA-5000 12” arm. The Verismo is VERY well balanced, and VERY exact. I found that the Verismo had a bit of a ”studio-feel” to the sound it reproduced.
In my record collection I found that it worked best on blues, jazz, and especially on classical music were the amplitude in the grooves were very low.. With the Verismo the low sounded classical grooves didn’t sound so low or quiet any more.. but very much alive. The Verismo is not bass’y nor is it sharp… it’s just very exact?!

My latest investment is the Ortofon MC Diamond which I have had for just over a month now, so I haven’t heard the MC Diamond that much yet. It sits on my Acoustic Signature TA-5000 9” arm, where it works very well. It is similar in the sound characteristics to the Verismo, but I feel that it’s better in every way. I feel that it’s much more muscles in the MC Diamond than in the Verismo which in my opinion give it a little bit more warmth to the cartridge.
Like the Verismo - it doesn’t stick out.. It’s just very exact and strait forward.
Not as powerful in the bottom as the Koetsu nor the AirTight, yet very tight and VERY fast in the attack. The mids are beautifully neutral, airy and very 3D, big soundstage, and the top end is briliant and a little bit bright, but not in anyway sharp. Very good in quiet classical parts as the Verismo.
The MC Diamond works good on every kind of music but perform best on jazz and classical music in my particular system.

Hope this is some kind of help…
After all - this is how I find these carts..
Maybe someone finds them different.
That’s find. Just find the cart that works best for you in your system, nothing is right, and nothing is wrong.. just play music and enjoy the moment.

All the best

/ Jk

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing