New arrival....Miyabi Fuuga

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Arrived yesterday, first needle drop 1 this am.
It was a bugger to mount. Combination of cylindrical body and the stylus being completely invisible when playing music. But got there in the end.

There's an immediate sense of 'rightness'- a place for everything, and everything in its place.
Noticeable from the start a really strong central image, with harmonies and overdubs coming from the wings.
First track i played was 'if you want me to stay' by Sly and the Family Stone, it sounded as though the bass player was sitting between the speakers, providing propulsive drive, weight and sheer funkiness, with Sly alongside and locked into the groove at the piano.
Then came 'papa was a rolling stone' by the Temptations, as more voices joined it was again startling how immediate they were, as if the singers were standing by, abreast of the band and each vocalist sang from a new and distinct position, the soundstage gaining width with each new vocal line while still preserving the separate place from which the previous voice had come.

I'd write more but I'm too busy enjoying the music?

Attachments

• 20210312_153210.jpg
    20210312_153210.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210313_152649.jpg
    20210313_152649.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Mounted on the Ikeda? Seems like that would be a good combo.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Mounted on the Ikeda? Seems like that would be a good combo.
I'm pleased to report that it is an excellent combination.

Reactions: shakti

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Love my Fuuga. Congratulations.

Thank you jazdoc.

I'm guessing you installed your Fuuga yourself? Might you have any pro-tips?
It does feel like flying blind, especially after learning installation on van den Hul cartridges.
I'm sure if i could see the cantilever as clearly as i can on my Colibri, i could fine tune alignment more effectively.

May i ask, how do you prefer vta?
Currently i have mine perfectly parallel to the record when playing

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Thank you jazdoc.

I'm guessing you installed your Fuuga yourself? Might you have any pro-tips?
It does feel like flying blind, especially after learning installation on van den Hul cartridges.
I'm sure if i could see the cantilever as clearly as i can on my Colibri, i could fine tune alignment more effectively.

May i ask, how do you prefer vta?
Currently i have mine perfectly parallel to the record when playing
Not sure if this is applicable in a different system...FWIW, slightly tail down.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Congratulations infinitely baffled.

The Fuuga is fine cartridge that works well on tonearms with a higher effective mass, such as the Kuzma 4Point. I found it sounding solid and dynamic with a sense of propulsive forward drive. Excellent midrange tonality with lower registers taut and natural without angularity. Top-end is firm, not overly airy and without etch but perhaps not quite as tippy-top extended as a vdH Master Sig. Well balanced, it is not a hi-fi hyper-resolution cartridge.

Out-of-the box, cantilever/stylus look perfectly straight. It does have an underhung cantilever/stylus, but alignment was not bad when using the mirrored surface of the Uni-Pro.

I really like the Fuuga.

DSC01732.JPG
DSC01556.JPG

DSC01521.JPG

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Out-of-the box, cantilever/stylus look perfectly straight. It does have an underhung cantilever/stylus...
What does 'underhung cantilever/stylus' mean?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
What does 'underhung cantilever/stylus' mean?

The cantilever/stylus does not come down very far from the body. The cantilever is short and does not protrude out very much; it is tucked back and does not overhang the body. This makes seeing it somewhat of a challenge mounted on a record during alignment. ymmv. Perhaps you can tell more from this stock picture:

fuuga_2_large.jpg

Last edited:

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I am using almost a year the Fuuga it surpassed in many areas al other cartridges that i had in my set up to date best cartridge i have used deserves much more recognition definitly!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Congratulations infinitely baffled.

The Fuuga is fine cartridge that works well on tonearms with a higher effective mass, such as the Kuzma 4Point. I found it sounding solid and dynamic with a sense of propulsive forward drive. Excellent midrange tonality with lower registers taut and natural without angularity. Top-end is firm, not overly airy and without etch but perhaps not quite as tippy-top extended as a vdH Master Sig. Well balanced, it is not a hi-fi hyper-resolution cartridge.

Out-of-the box, cantilever/stylus look perfectly straight. It does have an underhung cantilever/stylus, but alignment was not bad when using the mirrored surface of the Uni-Pro.

I really like the Fuuga.

View attachment 75896
View attachment 75899

View attachment 75898
Thank you tima.
I fully concur with your assessment. If a vdH has 'top down' presentation, Fuuga is definitely 'bottom up'.
I will investigate the Uni-Pro, thank you very much for the tip

Reactions: Johan K and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thank you tima.
I fully concur with your assessment. If a vdH has 'top down' presentation, Fuuga is definitely 'bottom up'.
I will investigate the Uni-Pro, thank you very much for the tip

Thanks. The SmartTractor is the less expensive version of the Uni-Pro. Each has a mirrored base with lines and a magnifier which let's you see under the cartridge more easily.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I really like my Fuuga too. Have it installed on a Axiom on a Artisan Fidelity Technics SP10 Mk3. It took quite a while to run in though.

Reactions: Johan K

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thanks. The SmartTractor is the less expensive version of the Uni-Pro. Each has a mirrored base with lines and a magnifier which let's you see under the cartridge more easily.
I've got one in my ebay shopping cart now, thank you Tima.
It may have to wait a month or so....i seem to have spent all my money this month?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I find it is not difficult to align with a MintLP protractor
Given the price of the Smartractor, the MintLP protractor might happen sooner?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I really like my Fuuga too. Have it installed on a Axiom on a Artisan Fidelity Technics SP10 Mk3. It took quite a while to run in though.
Good to have you aboard Howie?

Reactions: howiebrou

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
May i ask the esteemed fellow Fuuga users,
What tracking weight do you apply?

Currently I'm at 2.1 grams

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing