nephilim's 2 channel system

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi guys. I just wanted to share my current system. Unfortunately, I am restricted by space, and this is the best I could do under the circumstances. The 47 Labs Shigaraki in the first and fourth picture is gone. I've since changed this with an Accuphase SACD/CD player. :eek: Sorry, no space for analogue here. :(

System:

Von Schweikert Audio DB-99 SE
Townshend Audio Super Tweeter
Lamm ML2.1
Lamm LL2
Sun Audio 2A3 SET amp
Sun Audio 45 SET amp
Lyngdorf RP-1
Accuphase DP-78
Verbatim Signature Speaker Cables
Verbatim Signature ICs
Shunyata Power Cables
Consonance Baby Ella Power Cables

Last edited:

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi nephilim,

I have fond memories of this set-up. I remember it was Jadis' special day. Then the sound was much better than I would have thought given the space limitations. You did an excellent job. I remember the sound was as pleasant as the room. Beautiful room, beautiful music. I just don't recall seeing those acryllic covers on the power amps.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Silky SET sound, Silk Goose Down sofa. Talk about stress busters! Perfect for someone that looks at 6 computer monitors at a time all day long.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi nephilim,

I have fond memories of this set-up. I remember it was Jadis' special day. Then the sound was much better than I would have thought given the space limitations. You did an excellent job. I remember the sound was as pleasant as the room. Beautiful room, beautiful music. I just don't recall seeing those acryllic covers on the power amps.

I recall that day too. Almost forgot my special day till my kids alerted me a few days before it. LOL And it was a nice nice experience visiting nephilim's place, where music and elegance were synergized in almost perfect unison. And this creation is the best reason to come to your own home early each night.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Very clean and nice setup! Congratulations..my only concern would be the speakers so close to the back wall....

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
@mullard&jadis, you are too kind my friends. :eek: I remember that day too well. It's been over a year already. Wow time just flies!

@JackD, thanks bro. I've seen you doze off a couple of times before ;)

@es347, many thanks sir

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Very clean and nice setup! Congratulations..my only concern would be the speakers so close to the back wall....

Thank you sir. Unfortunately, that's the price I have to pay for living in a condominium. I wish I could get rid of that counter in the middle, but my wife won't let me. JackD has offered to bring in a chainsaw to cut up that solid piece of "narra" wood counter, and install Critical Mass Systems. Some local DIY plinth makers have been eyeing that slab of wood. But as the missis has said "my will be done."

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi flez007,

I had the same concern when I entered the room. But when the system started playing, there was no trace of hoodedness or honkiness. I've since wondered what kind of secret or black magic is involved.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Mullard,

I believe it's the adjustable woofer, multi-point DSP equalization and his 99's use of controlled directivity via the tweeter's baby wave guide. The food also helps though. I just always end up eating too much thus nodding out. ;) ;) ;)

Pretty nifty trick getting a good soundstage that close to walls that AVS says he credits to a couple of designers that have come before him. I believe Dunlavy was one he mentioned. The new VR-33s and VR-35s purportedly achieve the same thing as they were designed to be used a foot or less from the front walls.

Ooops sorry Keith I got carried away! In our group I'm the techie and Keith is the musical encyclopedia. Don't ask us what the others are, I don't think you guys want to know!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Good to hear it sounds great (I see no evdence of why it shoult not) - I was half point to get a quite similar setup while my time with the LL1 but never got the ML1s and finaly moved again to SET (you have heard the story...), BTW I really ike Accuphase for digital, my top3 actually.

Again, congratulations!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Very beautiful. As a condominium owner I know how smaller spaces can be frustrating. You have done a wonderful job considering though.

Roger

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Many thanks kind sirs!

@mullard, Jack hit the nail on the head. It's the Lyngdorf and the adjustable bass of the DB-99 that is the secret.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Looks nice but the furniture must be getting in the way a little too much.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing