Nebraska

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Saw this film last night and I absolutely loved it. Earlier in the movie season I was calling Forest Whitaker winner of the Oscar for Best Actor. Lots of memorable roles in film this year including Chiwetel Ejiofor in Twelve Years a Slave. However I have to say there will be a great injustice if Bruce Dern doesn't win the award for Best Actor. He was just that good. What an acting role. The script of this movie must have been but a handful of pages as most of the movie has one liners or just facial expressions on all of the actors.

Will Forte who plays Dern's son and hails from Saturday Night live was also wonderful and should garner a nomination although my favorite for the Best Supporting role was Micheal Fassbender in Twelve Years A Slave and is now Jared Leto as the transsexual in Dallas Buyers Club. The big surprise for me in this film was the role of Dern's wife played by June Squibb. She was funny and brilliant in the role and I expect her to be nominated as well although I still remain partial to both Oprah's role in The Butler and Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine so stay tuned until I see what I consider the contenders.

The story is simple. Woody (played by Dern, receives one of those lame Publisher's Clearing Warehouse letters which states that he won a million dollars and how he leaves Billings Montana to go to Lincoln Nebraska to claim his prize. Along the way they stop in Fallbrook where Woody grew up. He stays with his brother and his interactions with the family were a joy to behold. Dern is absolutely believable as a burned out alcoholic with early Alzheimer's who has nothing to show in life as he and his estranged son set out on the journey to collect the money

Now here is a caveat that is mentioned at the beginning of the film. Dern's son works in an audio shop and is seen demoing a set of book shelf speakers to a couple. He is overheard talking to this couple and saying that the speakers they just heard were far less money than the Wilson or Paragon gear. I would have loved to see Wilso speakers in the demo he gave

The story is slow moving much the way it seems everything moves in Nebraska. Nonetheless the images portrayed by a dark, cold state in winter was very believable.

This film IMO was wonderful and just might leave a lump in your throat. Excellent film, highly recommended and has an MRQE.com rating of 80 which is very good

I see it winning Best Actor but not Best Film

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Fantastic movie- easily in my top 5 for 2013. Such a fresh concept and amazing cinematography. A rating, all the way.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I did see Prisoners. I think it was released too early in the year for Academy members to remember. That's why all the heavy weights are at year end. Some films are often in limited release in one or 2 theaters in Dec for them to be considered by the Academy

BTW, Bruce Dern has runner up award for best actor behind Matthew McCaughnehey who was superb in Dallas Buyers' Club along wiith Jared Leto who I predict both to win the Oscars

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing