Nagra HD phono prototype

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
So it doesn’t look too bad ?; more importantly, how does it sound?
I was using the DarTZeel 18NS internal phono stage prior to this, and loved it. I honestly thought that there’s no way it can get better.
Unfortunately (and I say this because of the cost difference), it got A LOT better.
There’s a 600 hour break-in time for the HD Phono. Nagra does 48 hours at the factory. It sounds fantastic out of the box.

First impressions: greater sense of air and space when applicable. For example, on Nina Simone Live at Montreux:

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpeg
    IMG_0104.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 3

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I’m not very eloquent when describing what I hear; but the level of texture, depth, and detail from each note is dramatically improved. It’s not about hearing notes that weren’t heard before, it’s as if the resolution has increased - like watching a movie in HD vs 4K.

I compared the same 2xHD album on digital (Taiko Extreme/XDMS/HD DAC X) and vinyl. Digital sounds great … until you hear the vinyl version. And then you realize digital is more clinical and further from what live music sounds like. There’s no comparison (and best not to compare, because analog will win).

Relative to the 18NS Phono, there’s no real comparison. And this is not a knock on the DarTZeel, it’s essentially “free” with the preamp, and it sounds great. Just don’t compare it to the Nagra!

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Load settings - I am starting to appreciate how important Load is to fine tune the sound. It makes a huge difference!
Example: I could never get Norah Jones Come Away with Me to not have occasional distortions from sibilance. Her voice would momentarily shift to the right channel. I have all the albums - they all sound the same in this regard. It is well documented that this is on the recording and will be more noticeable with certain stylus shapes and on more revealing systems.
I also read that reducing the cartridge loading can help, and it certainly did! Distortion is essentially gone - incredible! I reduced Load from 75 to 60. This would not have been possible with the 18NS because it has far fewer load options (not to mention the difficulty in accessing them if the rear of the component is up against a wall, as is my case).

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
This “White Label” DB album never sounded quite right before. The size of the violin was too large and diffuse. It sounded like there could be more than a solo violinist. To be clear, it was very subtle. I’ve had a professional violinist hear it and he didn’t think anything was off.
But l’ve listened to hundreds of live classical concerts to know how a violin should sound.

With the HD Phono it sounds as a small single instrument. Furthermore, as she plays up and down the scale, the sound doesn’t waver or shift more than it should.
Really impressive!

Reactions: jfrech

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Reactions: jfrech and Zeotrope

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Load settings - I am starting to appreciate how important Load is to fine tune the sound. It makes a huge difference!
Example: I could never get Norah Jones Come Away with Me to not have occasional distortions from sibilance. Her voice would momentarily shift to the right channel. I have all the albums - they all sound the same in this regard. It is well documented that this is on the recording and will be more noticeable with certain stylus shapes and on more revealing systems.
I also read that reducing the cartridge loading can help, and it certainly did! Distortion is essentially gone - incredible! I reduced Load from 75 to 60. This would not have been possible with the 18NS because it has far fewer load options (not to mention the difficulty in accessing them if the rear of the component is up against a wall, as is my case).
I was wondering about this ! Very interesting ! I can't wait until my HD phono is installed on Sunday !

Reactions: Zeotrope

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The modulometer is one of the many reasons I have held onto my Nagra PL-L.
It is happy working in my 2 channel home theater.
I should have never sold my PL-L, that was on fantastic preamp, and looks to die for. I wonder what it would sound like today with a Classic PSU...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My HD Phono is installed and playing music. Just 30 min on. Wow. The ambiance the resolution ... the spaciousness, just a lack of noise. It's cold and needs time to warm up. MORE to come ...

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
My HD Phono is installed and playing music. Just 30 min on. Wow. The ambiance the resolution ... the spaciousness, just a lack of noise. It's cold and needs time to warm up. MORE to come ...
Congrats!
I literally played albums for over 12 hours yesterday - cancelled all my meetings ;)
Enjoy and let us know what you think…

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The Nagra “Modulometer” shows both dB and voltage by channel. It’s therefore really useful for checking Azimuth, Antiskate, and Balance, for example.
Just dialed these in using this test LP: https://www.discogs.com/release/3525012-Analogue-Productions-Ultimate-Analogue-Test-LP
Perhaps someone with more knowledge can explain this:
With too much Antiskate, the output of the Right channel is Lower than the Left. This is clearly visible on the meter - the L needle has more output.
Why?

Right channel is on the outer groove wall. I would have thought that too much AS would increase output in the R channel; but it’s the opposite. Is it more because you actually prevent the stylus for going too far into the inner grooves, which are the quieter parts of the L channel? So effectively it’s not that the R channel is quieter; but that the L channel is louder than the R?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congrats!
I literally played albums for over 12 hours yesterday - cancelled all my meetings ;)
Enjoy and let us know what you think…
I'm on about 75 min playing time. It's already warming up some. Geez does it sound good ! There isn't a a single reason to AB vs my former Nagra Classic Phono/PSU, it's a whole diff ball game. (the Nagra Classic is simply outstanding btw)

IMG_2881.jpeg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Looks great. Are you using the new MC-4 cartridge, I can’t recall.
It comes in a week or so. So using my Allaerts MC2 Formula 1, which is a pretty sweet cartridge also. I think I'll prefer the Nagra MC-4, my former Nagra MC-6 was just fantastic. The Allaerts has an alluring quality to it...just totally pulls you in. It's a high impedance cartridge however, likely better for the future Nagra optional input card, although it sounds swell right now !

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I'm on about 75 min playing time. It's already warming up some. Geez does it sound good ! There isn't a a single reason to AB vs my former Nagra Classic Phono/PSU, it's a whole diff ball game. (the Nagra Classic is simply outstanding btw)

View attachment 119771
Very special gentlemen, congratulations to both and a cool wow.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I was wondering about this ! Very interesting ! I can't wait until my HD phono is installed on Sunday !
I’m finding that I’m changing Load depending on the album - not always, but sometimes the sound is too bright, and a slight reduction in load value takes care of that . I’m using 35-60, mainly 55-60.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing