Nagra HD phono prototype

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The latest Nagra newsletter has info on a new Nagra phono stage. To be demo'd in Munich and released late 2020. 3 inputs. Can also function as a tape head preamp. Scroll down a bit on the newsletter link below:

Nagra December 2019 Newsletter

Reactions: ashandger

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Thanks John. A lot to digest there, are you getting the HD amp 2020 upgrade? Casey said the pre can be done in the field, I hope the amps as well. Happy New year!

Dave

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes on the amp update. Casey should be by today. I'll let you know how it sounds...

I did get my HD pre updated a few weeks back. It's a definite improvement to something I could not find a single fault with ! The preamp is 2 board swaps. The amp is a software update. Didn't know their is a micro SD card slot inside the amp...(and pre if they ever need to update that)

Happy New Year

Reactions: SuperDave

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have placed my order for the soon to be shipping Nagra HD Phono. I don't know the final price yet or exact ship date. I am guessing I'll have one of the very first units to get produced and hoping it gets here around the end of Sept or early Oct.

1692446702843.png

https://www.monoandstereo.com/?p=2845

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My new phono stage should ship in a week or two ! Very much looking forward to this!

Reactions: Verdier

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Almost 4 years after I first posted this. The Nagra HD Phono is shipping. Mine is en route expecting next week. Webpage is now up:

https://www.nagraaudio.com/product/hd-phono/

Apparently there is a future optional board for higher impedance cartridges. All tube, dual mono. Lots of info on the web page above. I do know several here on this forum has them ordered. Very curious what we call think. It's replacing my Nagra Classic Phono/Classic PSU/Dual VFS

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Congrats John! I know it will be special, makes me want to get into TTs.

Dave

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congrats John! I know it will be special, makes me want to get into TTs.

Dave
Haha, you know who to call ! Hope all is well on your end!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Mine arrives next week! Very much looking forward to it!
@Jfrench - keep in mind the break-in is 600 hours.
I've heard it's long ! Didn't realize 600 hours. Oh well, time flies spinning vinyl !

Reactions: Another Johnson

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Nagra TT -> Nagra Cart -> Nagra HD Phono
I've heard it's long ! Didn't realize 600 hours. Oh well, time flies spinning vinyl !
Yes! 600 is from Rene.
How long have you heard is the break in for the cartridge? You are getting the 4 ohm, correct?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes, getting the 4 ohm. But won't be here until end of Nov. So I will start off using my 6 ohm. I've had my Transparent Magnum Opus calibrated for the 4 ohm so it won't sound the best...

As for breakin on the cartridge several hundred hours. I hear some slight changes over 100 hours...not the usual change from like my Lyra's or Goldfinger's at 100 hours. However the Nagra MC6 did just seems to sound great out of the box and got a little better over time. So it behaves different than others I've owned...

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Yes, getting the 4 ohm. But won't be here until end of Nov. So I will start off using my 6 ohm. I've had my Transparent Magnum Opus calibrated for the 4 ohm so it won't sound the best...

As for breakin on the cartridge several hundred hours. I hear some slight changes over 100 hours...not the usual change from like my Lyra's or Goldfinger's at 100 hours. However the Nagra MC6 did just seems to sound great out of the box and got a little better over time. So it behaves different than others I've owned...

Tracking ability and distortion is what I noticed improve during break-in, and I am at about 90-100 hours on the MC-4 so far.

Curious what you mean by “I've had my Transparent Magnum Opus calibrated for the 4 ohm so it won't sound the best...”? Is this a speaker cable?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Tracking ability and distortion is what I noticed improve during break-in, and I am at about 90-100 hours on the MC-4 so far.

Curious what you mean by “I've had my Transparent Magnum Opus calibrated for the 4 ohm so it won't sound the best...”? Is this a speaker cable?
Hi,

The interconnects are calibrated also. I have magnum opus from tonearm rca box to phono stage. It’s a rather dramatic change to have them set exactly for the source impedance. They were previously set at 32 ohm for my Allaerts.

so below the setting isn’t optimal but good. Above the setting has issues. Even just 2 ohms (so in this case set for 4, but using 6 until the Nagra mc-4 arrives)

Reactions: Zeotrope

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My HD Phono is getting delivered to my dealer today. Installed tomorrow.

@Zeotrope did you get yours installed yet? First thoughts??

Reactions: matakana

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
My HD Phono is getting delivered to my dealer today. Installed tomorrow.
Very interesting!! I wish you 2 sleepless nights: one today (wait, wait ....) and one tomorrow (listen, listen, listen). ;) Have fun!
Please report in detail. and please show photos.

You used to have the Nagra VPS, right? Do you still have it as a reference?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very interesting!! I wish you 2 sleepless nights: one today (wait, wait ....) and one tomorrow (listen, listen, listen). ;) Have fun!
Please report in detail. and please show photos.

You used to have the Nagra VPS, right? Do you still have it as a reference?
Haha. 3. Last night too b/c I knew it was coming !

Yes, I used my VPS for like over 10 years. Later on with a MPS PSU. I did replace those with a Classic Phono/PSU that has been traded in for the HD Phono. I had the classic for ~3 years I think...always had my heart set on the HD Phono so happy it's finally (almost :) here!

• Haha
Reactions: Verdier

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
I'm very curious to see how good the device will really be and how it will spread (the price is a bit prohobic for a phono stage). I have seen a VPS in some systems (not just pure Nagra systems) and have also tried it out myself at home and found it to be quite good in terms of price. I've only seen systems with a Classic once or twice and I've hardly read anything about it. And now the big device ... It remains exciting

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm very curious to see how good the device will really be and how it will spread (the price is a bit prohobic for a phono stage). I have seen a VPS in some systems (not just pure Nagra systems) and have also tried it out myself at home and found it to be quite good in terms of price. I've only seen systems with a Classic once or twice and I've hardly read anything about it. And now the big device ... It remains exciting
The VPS definitely punches above its weight class. Like way above. I put it up against phono stages costing 3x more it I preferred it. Others maybe beat it in a few areas like on a scale of 1-10 (10 best) maybe the other had better extremes, or more quiet / revealing. The VPS was like a 8-9 everywhere and oh so beautiful in the mids. The Classic was cut from the same cloth, but just more resolution, much more quiet, revealing/involving and hit the extremes much better. Time will soon tell on the HD !

A few used Classic phono's will be out there with the HD phono intro...

PS, if the HD Phono wasn't out, I would have kept the Classic Phono/PSU for 10 years like I did the VPS.

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing