My VAC journey

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Fine looking h/w and rooms!!

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Kevin Hayes does a great job with his grounding schemes and it doen't surprise me that going directly into the wall socket really opened things up. Enjoy

Hi Roger, I was pleasently shocked in a postive way. :D
I only pluged them into the RM20 units due to past experience with other amps and kinda wish in away I would have done it earlier because as you say "opened things up" for sure. I suppose I can look at this in a postive way because I was still enjoying prior but now as I wrote just a total different world, get to enjoy my music collection all over again.

Last night listening for some 6 hours and well into the morning "I was hearing things that I had never heard before" I found myself on so many occasions saying WOW! left in amazement. The goose bumps were endless and no matter what I played "that performance was transformed right there in my living space", to me that's what it's all about "the music" and the thrill of listening to such. :D

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Great setup DEV, VAC is one of my most admired tube electronics - but just heard them under non-familiar sites and for short periods of time (ergo-show rooms) :) I am quite familiar ith the MS turntable and I am sure it just SINGS there! Congrats!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
DEV,

Absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Gordon

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Great setup DEV, VAC is one of my most admired tube electronics - but just heard them under non-familiar sites and for short periods of time (ergo-show rooms) :) I am quite familiar ith the MS turntable and I am sure it just SINGS there! Congrats!

Thanks, Vac for many years just wasn't on my radar. Now I know I was missing out for all of these years but I still look at it as learning curve in away so I could truly appreciate and now just get to enjoy! :D

I actually own two tables; TW Acustic Raven Black Knight and Micro Seiki 5000 which is highly modified with a upgraded Stainless Steel platter and floating platter.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
DEV - I realized on your system evolution lines that you had a pair of Avalon Isis, are they gone now?, if so, why?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
flez007, yes they have been gone for a for years now. At the time I had them for three years plus felt I just got the most out of them and it was time to move on, there are numerous amps available now that could have possibly changed that out come. That being said they are not missed.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Dev

Beautiful system.I remember hearing the big MBL's at the Singapore distributors shop. Amazing 3d 360 degrees sound and that was with CD. The owner just smiled and said most of his customers had great turntables and sounds even better.

Still amazing how tubes can still sound the best :)

cheers

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
turntable, Thanks :D

I'm truly enjoying! by far my favorite combo and I have tried allot as per above. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I actually own two tables; TW Acustic Raven Black Knight and Micro Seiki 5000 which is highly modified with a upgraded Stainless Steel platter and floating platter.

Dev,
How does the platter float?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Dev,
How does the platter float?

microstrip,
to get a full description of this mod best you ask this question directly to member DDB who is the source "otherwise none as Dertonarm on Audiogon" or even member Syntax "who goes by the same name on Audiogon" has the same table MS table and same MS mods.

caesar

May 30, 2010
DEV, fascinating journey. I am happy your found bliss!

I was wondering if you could please compare and contrast the sound of the various amps you had the pleasure (and displeasure?) of hearing. Specifically, how did VTL 750's do? Strength's/ weaknesses? How about MBL's own amps vs. Bryston ^2? CATs?

Thank you for sharing

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
caesar, oh my that's a tough one. It's been some time now but I'll try to summarize as best I can.

Now these are my thoughts and findings in my own room and associated gear driving my MBL's so other opinons may differ. "Well I do know of numerous others who have followed and feel the same"

All of the amps offered their strenghts paired up with these speakers.

VTL Ref750's, offered lots or strengths but in comparison to others on hand I found just not a good pairing up with the MBL's. I was going to try other models but just did not materialize.
CAT Sig JL3 MK2, these were supposively designed arround the MBL's and suppose to be it. Right away you could hear the lower frequency. I did not have a CAT pre so my pairing up was with three different pre-amps I owned for many years (MBL 6010d, VTL 7.5 mk2, ARC Ref3) I then got the VAC Sig MK2a.

So I got to hear all different combos and out of the three the REF3 was my fav, did not get to really experiment much with the VAC paired up with the CAT's.

I had so many issues with my CAT amps from brand new over a years time which really was frustrating and I really never got to hear their full potential due to such.

I do allot of lower level listening, I found listening to MBL's, VTL, CAT it was okay but found you had to turn up the volume to allow them to really perform. To me if a amp can sound amazing at low volumns and offer that connection they peak my interest.

Fast forward onto the 28 SQUARED, these provided that low voloum level performance. These were my preferrence over all the above but I found that the bass seemed to be limited in comparison and just didn't sound right to me. Midrange was okay but did no way compare to the VTL's for example.

If you have MBL's and tried different amps "actually any speakers" you know there will be different characterisitcs in the actual sound it's self. Bass can sound too hard, not realistic, muddy, slow, not controlled and on. There are all kinds of bass, not just deep. You could really hear the differerences playing stand up bass, different drums with different skins and other wood instruments.

So when I had these amps as per above and trying this and that combo as mentioned, reading my notes afterwards I found I would like this or that but nothing stood out and said "this is it" so my search continued. I got that VAC pre, brand new out of the box it sounded special, something that I personally never exsperienced to such extent prior with any others and I have owned numerous. So after putting in aprox 450 hours on that pre, can't 100% recall but at this time I found myself so smitten that for the first time I sold of all my other pre-amps and was now really intregued wanting to hear the Statement 450's "hence my journey to NY" and the rest is history.

What's the chance in a life time this ever happening? well at least once because it happened.

Having the VAC paired up offers the complete package that I was looking for, opening up my wallet and has gotten me off the merry-go-round so if you are looking for a amp and pre recommendation to pair up with these wonderful MBL 101E speakers this is it, others just don't compare.

I don't want to talk negative about any of the other pces and not looking to debate, this is in my own set-up with no presure or time restraints.

If you are going to own these speakers you deserve to hear their full potential so that is my recommendation, second one over anything else that I heard is: Vac or ARC pre models I make mention, even the ARC Ref5 or Aniver paired up with the latest Bryston 28 squared using balanced IC's and just enjoy!

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
One of the nicest rooms around. Congrats. :)

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So close and yet so far! It would have been a pleasure to have met you at TAVES last weekend! Maybe next year, eh!

LCat

Aug 24, 2012
I've been using VAC Statements for 2 yeaars now.
Have pair of monos driving my perfect8s and pair of stereos driving my Dalli Megaline witth activee x-overs for bedroom system. While they might be overkill for bedroom they sound so much better then any over amp I've tried what they are worth it. Replacing driver tubes with Sylvania chrome top triangle platesand replacing input tubes with brown base Sylvania 6sn7 WGTA or Brimar 1988 takes them to yet another level. Amps are also true chamelions - change of the imput tube completley changes sound of system
VAC Signature Pre is also an amazing preamp - it easely bested CAT Legend and Jadis JP200-MC at my home. Phonostage on it is especialy good.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I've been using VAC Statements for 2 yeaars now.
Have pair of monos driving my perfect8s and pair of stereos driving my Dalli Megaline witth activee x-overs for bedroom system. While they might be overkill for bedroom they sound so much better then any over amp I've tried what they are worth it. Replacing driver tubes with Sylvania chrome top triangle platesand replacing input tubes with brown base Sylvania 6sn7 WGTA or Brimar 1988 takes them to yet another level. Amps are also true chamelions - change of the imput tube completley changes sound of system
VAC Signature Pre is also an amazing preamp - it easely bested CAT Legend and Jadis JP200-MC at my home. Phonostage on it is especialy good.

Congrats! and thanks for sharing. Anyone who has them knows how marvelous this combo really is driving what ever speakers it may be :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing