Oct 19, 2011
Here's another closer up :D

Attachments

• 2012_0223MBL2012000&.JPG
    2012_0223MBL2012000&.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 960

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Showing the room, where I have actually taken this picture the location of the camera there is still 6 more feet behind.

Looking you will see a chair off to the left which I will move infront of the table at different distances which provide a variance of sound stages etc. To the table end is 18ft from the back wall of speakers, I usually position the seating at 13 or 14. Obviously doing this offers less of the room interating but I can sit all over the place and get a great performance and that's one of the reasons why I enjoy these speakers so much. I sit approx 32 ft way as I am now typing this which is 75% of the time of my listening.

Back wall is 15ft were the speakers are but as you can see there is an opening to the right.
Speakers are approx 56" off the back wall, left speaker is 48 inches off the wall which has soft woodenvertical blinds.

The drywall is all 5/8", all interior walls are 2 x 6 with roxel sound proofing insultation within the cavities, any doors are solid core, double 3/4" ply glued, staggered and screwed onto resilient joists but still having issues with the floor interacting so still experimenting with different platforms under my speakers. I should have had the joist on 12" centres or designed the basement so that this area would have had supporting walls below but can't now because it's an open concept :(

Plaster mouldings, special underpad for sonics. This room was never meant to have the exstent of audio gear in it, originally as mentioned prior I had Andra 2's set-up.

Numerous ceiling heights, the room as whole actually sounds very good, when have a conversation sounds proper, no clap echo etc.

It's just nice and cozy and get to enjoy endless hours of music. :)

Attachments

• 2012_0223MBL2012001&.JPG
    2012_0223MBL2012001&.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 994

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Okay so here is another pic looking from the oposite end, speaker side.

As you can see different ceiling heights and one of my listening buddies had to get into the pic :D

Attachments

• 2011_0903VAC0013..JPG
    2011_0903VAC0013..JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 978

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi DEV,

Just stunning amplifers. Kevin Hayes has a very loyal following and has always built first class top of the line amps. Someday I will upgrade my VAC 140's and 70/70 as these amps produce a black background that the music just seems to come alive from. Enjoy!

Yes I agree, they have gotten me off the merry-go-round and truly enjoying :D

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Can you share yours and your friend's room dimensions?

Take a look at some of my other posting above in relation to mine, should assist.

This persons set-up was;

9 ft from tweeter to tweeter of speaker, and 9 ft from centre line to the ears. Speakers were 3'5" from the back wall which are windows covered. He did have a good height ceiling and on an angle, everything is done in wood so the tone was very pleasent. Seating, only a few feet left behind. I would gustimate 22 ft wide. If you refer to some of the pics, you will see the one with the records, that was off to the right speakers and then if you look at one that has the rack had really nothing so the sound as mentioned was a little off but did not matter because the over all sound was of such I had not expereinced with the MBL's being paired up with the VAC's :)

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Sorry to be stuck on your room dimensions when the post is about the VAC amps...

I am a bit confused...trying to picture a relatively rectangular room (without consideration for open sides), I can see 18' to the speaker back wall to the table, ~3' for the table length, and another 6' beyond the table to the wall behind you. I get 27' long room but you said you are 32' way typing...

How about the length and width of the room if you just consider it as a rectangular shape and how far apart the 101Es are located? I know they are 4' 8" away from the speaker back wall.

Although the one of the magics of 101Es is that the system gives me overall good sound from generally all parts of the room in contrast to the cone type speakers with narrow sweet spot, I have found their placement do play a big part in getting the optimal bass, soundstage, and the scary imaging I never had with all the other speakers that came and gone over the years.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Unfortuantly my room really isn't such and the rest of the space "open" interacts being apart of such. The table isn't 3ft length, it's 60" so your reply has my head spinning in relation to measurements.

I did not get my tape out to give 100% measurements, it's been some time now since I have done such.

18ft + table 5ft = 23 ft + from end of table is 13 ft to the window = 36ft

What size is you room, post some pictures.

Placement of any speaker has effect on the bass as does actual set-up, do share.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Dev,

A great story and thanks for making it an illustrated one. The lengths we go to! But in life, that is always the way if you want it RIGHT. ;) Sounds like a tremendous result as well. I have heard nothing but superlatives for the new VAC Statement 450s...even mentioned them to Jeff Fritz a while ago when first started talking about TWBAS 2012.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I want to see pictures of the car lifts :)

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi Dev,

A great story and thanks for making it an illustrated one. The lengths we go to! But in life, that is always the way if you want it RIGHT. ;) Sounds like a tremendous result as well. I have heard nothing but superlatives for the new VAC Statement 450s...even mentioned them to Jeff Fritz a while ago when first started talking about TWBAS 2012.

You are most welcome and thank you.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
:D

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Sorry guys I forgot to list my gear for this set-up;

MBL 101E speakers
Vac Sig. MK2a pre w/phono
Vac Statement 450 mono blocks

Sources

TW Acustic Black Knight table
Micro Seiki 5000 table
Numerous arms and carts
AMR 77.1 CD player
MR-78 tuner with mods

Cables
Stealth Audio threw out, Dream SC's and PC's, Indra IC's

Accesories
2-Torus RM20
Minus K platform
Symposium platforms
HRS platforms
Sistrum platfrorms and a few other items

Reactions: stealthaudiocables

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
12" Reed and MSL cart, I really enjoy this combo :D and looks sexy too!

Attachments

• 2011_04140027..JPG
    2011_04140027..JPG
    176 KB · Views: 784
  • 2011_02150061..JPG
    2011_02150061..JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 776

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Update, now that my amps have over 600 hours on them, I'm not really hearing much if any sonic differences and just enjoying but now it's time to try some things.

First up was to unplug them from my Torus RM20 units, have one for each amp which are then pluged into separate designated lines. So I'll just plug my amps directly into their wall outlets.

Well was I ever in for a pleasant surprise, these amps most defiantly do not like being plugged into those units. If you refer back to what I have posted prior and amps I have tried almost all of the amps benefited being plugged into them, some I did not hear any difference and just knowing the amps were being protected provided that extra nice feeling.

Not these amps though, they were being choked. Just shows you, you gotta try in your own set-up. I was already amazed how much these amps surpased anything else I have had in my set-up and now the added gains I'm receiving all I can say is WOW!

The highs just seem to go on for ever, I have listened to the same pces that were not as extended and sounded distorted but not now, very nice indeed.

Dynamics across the board are just crazy, bottom end is like I added a sub. The control is really nice cleaning up things and the stop and start just makes it sound even more realistic, the performers within the stage are even more precise, stronger holographs.

Pretty amazing when you think about it, just the differences vs having them plugged in or not. Now I get to listen to everything all over again like it's new, you gotta love this hobby of ours.

Next will be to swap out my Stealth Audio Dream power cords and place in the stock ones the amps came with but I'll wait for a while to do this because the differences of what I just did are as pointed out so I will just enjoy and then do so.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Still my favorite high power tube amplifier. I wish I carried the VAC line.

Nice cart by the way. Hehehe. Have you tried it with the 302 Step up? ;)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Kevin Hayes does a great job with his grounding schemes and it doen't surprise me that going directly into the wall socket really opened things up. Enjoy

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Still my favorite high power tube amplifier. I wish I carried the VAC line.

Nice cart by the way. Hehehe. Have you tried it with the 302 Step up? ;)

Hi Jack, thanks.

Why don't you?

As you know I really like this cart and arm combo. No I have yet to try the 302, I have been trying to locate someone with one locally so I could try or at least hear before investing. Are the differences that noticable? What are they? MSL also came out with a new Step up, do you have any experience with it?

On my short list of things to do is to compare external phono's in comparison to the internal one in my Vac Sig pre. Kevin will be coming out with a new external phono soon so that will be interesting, a local friend has recently received a ARC Ref2SE version phono and really likes it so I would like to hear that. Has a few different phono including a recent Burmester and seems to be favouring it, has a FM Acoustics, Kondo from Japan and on it's way a AMR so all of these will be very interesting to experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing